IGNORED

ReCore - Thoughts?

Austin

Despite the mediocre reviews, I picked up ReCore over the weekend. I haven't bought a new XBOX ONE game in a while (since DOOM and Mighty No. 9, actually), and after watching some people stream it, I felt it looked fun enough to warrant a purchase. It's not often we get exclusives (especially ones that feel a little more Japanese in tone), so I did have my eye on it regardless.

I actually had a longer post written with a more in-depth synopsis, but lost the post thanks to this damn laptop I'm on.. So, I'll just say for now that the game is really fun, but it has some major polish issues that might put some people off (long loading, major texture pop-in, sub-30 framerate). Gameplay-wise though it feels really satisfying, both in the third-person shooting action, and in the platforming.

• Like 1

I saw this game and was ,mildly interested based on the aesthetics, but a quick view of the gameplay suggested I probably wouldn't enjoy it too much. I'm not a platform lover, and it looks like they incorporated platform jumping in the game. Choosing a robot companion to fight with sounds cool, but the fighting reminded me of too many other games. I would probably snag this if the price was cheap enough, although I'm growing out of that mentality, just because I have so many unopened 360 games bought out of that same thought process.

I want to get this, but this is a busy time of year and Rise of Iron and Elite Dangerous are taking up all my gaming time. ReCore looks great though. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Japanese exclusives on the Xbox platform, going all the way back to Gunvalklyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I want to get this, but this is a busy time of year and Rise of Iron and Elite Dangerous are taking up all my gaming time. ReCore looks great though. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Japanese exclusives on the Xbox platform, going all the way back to Gunvalklyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

It's definitely Japanese in tone, but looking in the credits it seems actual Japanese teams had very little to do with it. It seems the game was mostly made by Armature, who are ex-Metroid Prime developers. But, like I said, the tone (and in many cases, the gameplay) is feels Japanese, and I like that.

• 2 months later...

It's definitely Japanese in tone, but looking in the credits it seems actual Japanese teams had very little to do with it. It seems the game was mostly made by Armature, who are ex-Metroid Prime developers. But, like I said, the tone (and in many cases, the gameplay) is feels Japanese, and I like that.

I just picked this up over the Black Friday sales and gave it a go. I figured that for $15 it can't be all bad. It's funny that the mention of "ex-Metroid" developers. This was my initial impression of the game so far, in that it had a distinct Metroid feel.

I'm not very far into it, but the battles seem a little tedious, but other than that, I'm having a good time with the game. The robot dog is treated like it is a living being kind of bothers me and even behaves so. This is a big annoyance to me. I like suspended reality in my games, but for some reason this bothers me. But, then again, so did Muffit on Battle Star Galactica (If it were me, I would have short circuited that mutt and exiled Boxy to another ship). So the realist in me has to overlook this annoying bit and move on with the game :-)

I just checked some of the reviews and the main complaints are about load times and some graphical issues. The graphics seem just fine to me, but the load times are a bit annoying. Had I paid full retail... which I never do anymore... I may have a bad taste in my mouth as it certainly isn't a AAA title.

YMMV of course.

Edited by GrizzLee

I played through the timed demo and enjoyed it, so I picked it up over the weekend digitally for $15. I think even at the MSRP of $40 it's a good value proposition, but at $15 it's a steal. I'm really eager to get into it, but a buddy lent me Star Wars Battlefront, so I've been playing around with that a little bit before giving it back. Figure a few more days with that (I'm really not a MP shooter kind of guy) and I'll be ready to dive back into ReCore. I definitely enjoyed my time with the demo though.

• 3 months later...

I enjoy ReCore, although it is not without its problems. The promo at E3 last year made it look fairly promising (and the fact that it is an Xbox One exclusive was enticing), but perhaps this also increased expectations for the game that the devs didn't deliver on. I picked up the collector's edition last month when amazon.com dropped it below $50 (it's now back over $80). I will get back to playing it once I finish up Horizon Zero Dawn and then get through ME: Andromeda.