IGNORED

Original Atari 2600 box artwork roll call - Where is it?

Buyatari

As many of you know for the past few years I've switched gears and tried to track down the original paintings used to illustrate video game boxes.

In that time I've only encountered a tiny percentage of the work that was done for Atari 2600 game boxes. Often what someone thinks is the original artwork turns out to be a print. The Warlords in the CGE museum is an example of this. Most of the original artwork is assumed to have been destroyed but others must lurk out there. Please add any images or information that you have for any original artwork that you may be aware of.

These are some that I have been able to track down. While I do have some more they are not all photographed and I'll add more later as I am able.

2600 Berzerk by Hiro Kimura - private sale from fellow Atariage member

Bezerk.jpg

2600 Galaxian by Hiro Kimura - private sale from fellow Atariage member

Galaxian.jpg

2600 3D Tic Tac Toe by Susan Jaekel - private sale from fellow Atariage member

MVC-018S.JPG

Activision Kung Fu master - private sale from former Atari employee

Kungfu.jpg

Not a 2600 game box but my personal favorite of the bunch.

Atari high score pad illustration by Cliff Spohn - private sale directly from the artist

QCFVyhAI_1908161704491gpadd.jpg

Edited by Buyatari
  • Like 2

Very cool. Did anyone ever find out what happened to those file cabinets full of Atari art and other materials that Sotheby's tried to auction in 2007? My recollection is that those were mostly not originals, but I would be curious to know if there was any original art in the trove and what ever happened after it didn't sell.

Very cool. Did anyone ever find out what happened to those file cabinets full of Atari art and other materials that Sotheby's tried to auction in 2007? My recollection is that those were mostly not originals, but I would be curious to know if there was any original art in the trove and what ever happened after it didn't sell.

You are correct. Most the collection consisted of mechanical copies but it did include some original artwork including the Atari 2600 Surround painting by Cliff Spohn.

http://www.museumofplay.org/press/releases/2015/12/2449-strong-acquires-atari-design-materials

You are correct. Most the collection consisted of mechanical copies but it did include some original artwork including the Atari 2600 Surround painting by Cliff Spohn.

http://www.museumofplay.org/press/releases/2015/12/2449-strong-acquires-atari-design-materials

The other original art pieces included in the Strong collection are:

-5200 Football

-Jim Kelly's VCS manual illustrations

-George Opperman's cover for the Super Breakout handheld game that was not released

As many of you know for the past few years I've switched gears and tried to track down the original paintings used to illustrate video game boxes.

In that time I've only encountered a tiny percentage of the work that was done for Atari 2600 game boxes. Often what someone thinks is the original artwork turns out to be a print. The Warlords in the CGE museum is an example of this. Most of the original artwork is assumed to have been destroyed but others must lurk out there. Please add any images or information that you have for any original artwork that you may be aware of.

These are some that I have been able to track down. While I do have some more they are not all photographed and I'll add more later as I am able.

2600 Berzerk by Hiro Kimura - private sale from fellow Atariage member

2600 Galaxian by Hiro Kimura - private sale from fellow Atariage member

2600 3D Tic Tac Toe by Susan Jaekel - private sale from fellow Atariage member

Activision Kung Fu master - private sale from former Atari employee

Not a 2600 game box but my personal favorite of the bunch.

Atari high score pad illustration by Cliff Spohn - private sale directly from the artist

I hope people can appreciate how incredible these are. I'm not on AA that much and I'm biased since I've known Adam for years, and along the way picked up one 2600 piece myself (below), but to me these are the best items ever posted on AA. How could any retail item ever compare, and here you have the original paintings to not just any old titles, but Berzerk and Galaxian - are you kidding me!

Here's my one 2600 piece:

8eKPDBt.jpg

The other original art pieces included in the Strong collection are:

-5200 Football

-Jim Kelly's VCS manual illustrations

-George Opperman's cover for the Super Breakout handheld game that was not released

You mean Atari 800 Football right?

The image of a football busting out of the box.

I hope people can appreciate how incredible these are. I'm not on AA that much and I'm biased since I've known Adam for years, and along the way picked up one 2600 piece myself (below), but to me these are the best items ever posted on AA. How could any retail item ever compare, and here you have the original paintings to not just any old titles, but Berzerk and Galaxian - are you kidding me!

Here's my one 2600 piece:

8eKPDBt.jpg

Hi Dan.

Long time no see. It is clear that you have far better photography skills than I do.

WOW!

Your Ikari Warriors piece looks beautiful !

If you ever decide to part with this one please let me know.

Also, there was a lot of cool stuff in that collection. I was able to photograph a lot of it, and quite a bit of it will end up in my book, Art of Atari. (Sorry for the shameless plug -- but I did want people to know that there will be a way to view some of that stuff without traveling to Rochester!)

Thanks, BrontyAA.

Much appreciated. Yeah, the only other piece of art in the collection that is purely 2600 was Jim Kelly's VCS illustrations from the original manuals. Not cover art, but super cool original art. You can see them in the top of this image: http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/6271/collection.JPG

Looking forward to your book and hope everyone buys a copy. Fwiw though I think Adams question is about originals and I believe it is just Surround and nothing else in that collection as far as 2600 goes. Im glad those materials found a good home

Thanks, BrontyAA.

Much appreciated. Yeah, the only other piece of art in the collection that is purely 2600 was Jim Kelly's VCS illustrations from the original manuals. Not cover art, but super cool original art. You can see them in the top of this image: http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/6271/collection.JPG

Ok so when it comes to just the vintage 2600 game cover artwork original hand drawn pieces what do we know of so far?

I think I have 10-12 of them in total. Tim, you were here to visit me twice to photograph them so you might have a better idea than I do. lol

Bronty has one and the Strong museum has one.

In addition to these I've seen pictures of what looks like the original painting for 2600 Raiders of the Lost Ark. While I have not seen it in person so it could be another print they used to decorate the wall with I do assume it is the original painting and that one is currently in a private collection.

Star Wars arcade and Star Wars Empire Strikes back paintings are both owned by Star Wars collectors.

The original painting for 2600 Defender exists in another private collection. This one is confirmed.

The unreleased Combat II cover art painting is currently on eBay for $42,000 BIN or best offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Signed-1982-ATARI-COMBAT-TWO-Oil-Painting-by-Michel-Allaire-/291858303906?hash=item43f41c4ba2:g:W8wAAOSw2GlXGCqM

Is that all that we know of?

A total of less than 20 paintings out of several hundred?

• 4 years later...