IGNORED

Kung Fu Master

rdefabri

@Yaron Nir another way of dealing with the wide frames (punches, kicks, leg sweeps) is the trick @playsoft pulled when I hacked the Popeye sprites,

he put the two players next to each other, with the downside of being monochrome just for a split second..  it turned out being a great solution, and hardly noticeable !!

image.thumb.png.7337e94acb8fa7226a8526575445a6f3.png

Anyway I'll be back on this, after I finish a couple of things ;)

Edited by TIX

2 minutes ago, TIX said:

@Yaron Nir another way of dealing with the wide frames (punches, kicks, leg sweeps) is the trick @playsoft pull when I hacked the Popeye sprites,

he put the two players next to each other, with the downside of being monochrome just for a split second..  it turned out being a great solution, and hardly noticeable !!

image.thumb.png.7337e94acb8fa7226a8526575445a6f3.png

Anyway I'll be back on this, after I finish a couple of things ;)

yup, i think i saw this menioned somewhere..... don't like monochrome sprites.....

i wonder if this could be done in Antic mode E and use only software sprites, maybe some underlay PMGs to get more colors, or for other purposes of enemies......don't know what is better... Antic mode 4 or E.....

On 3/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, lbaeza said:

Hi 

According to a currently offline article published on Atariware , Kung-Fu Master was created by Pelusa Software, who were a small team of Atari fans located in Arica, Chile. The main idea of the game was inspired by two arcade games: Yie-Ar Kung Fu (Konami, 1985) and Kung-Fu Master (Irem, 1984).

kung_fu_master_2.gif

Years later, German González, formerly from Pelusa, told Atariware that the game was sent to two magazines: First it was sent to Mundo Atari magazine, from Chile, where his letter was published on issue 24 (June-July 1989) with only a congratulation, no game listing was published there, and the magazine folded the next month. The other magazine Germán sent the listing was Antic, although it was finally published on STart vol 5 issue 2, october 1990. This magazine was a continuation of Antic. You can see an article on page 99 entitled Kung Fu Master, and the listing on pages 112 and 113. In addition to that, a local software publisher named Turbo Software, included the game as "Kung Fu" on at least 2 cartridge games compilation: cartridges "C5" and "2". No permissions were asked to German, and no royalties were sent to him because of the sales of these cartridges including his creation. Germán came to know about this years later, when he bought one of these cartridges second hand on a flea market for his Atari personal collection.

c5a.jpg d2a.jpg

This game was coded on a NTSC Atari computer using Atari Basic, using as few lines as possible so it could be published on a magazine. This program does not work OK on PAL systems, although it has already been fixed by local Atari fans.

Kind regards,

Luis.

Nice story, Luis. Thanks for sharing.

From talkings we (Team HOAXERS ?) had here's my quoting from there:

I have it already some things done and yes, is exactly like Wonderboy: Antic4
Interleaved charsets, colours DLIs, our guy the 4 Players (2+2
Multicolour mode) and Missiles I don't remember where, enemys soft
sprites (3colours: PF0 (skin), PF1 (one of the clothes colour) more other(s) shirt or trousers PF2 and the
other PF3).

And to add more is getting the NES gfxs so it the back wals/main colours lines are DLIs of BAK colour register across the screen.

Enemys have 3colours all equal at the same time but sometimes there's a 2nd type one so is here where the change of PF2 in one and the other PF3.

The NES version our guy is on A8 (even wider like kicking) possible in ours 2:1 ratioo 16pixels so is the 4Players but in Multicolour mode (2+2) while Missiles are free for anything else, have to see and/or remember where...

Taking @TIX here's it in the A8 possible colours (similar buit not exactly as did it on P.C. Paint program but you get the idea):

1280343272_master2-walkA8colours.PNG.18b13d3cc4fbc8219951f618d00befaa.PNG

P0/P2: darkest brown (10);

Oring

P1/P3: white (0E);

=

3rd colour: lightest brown (1E);

Lets finish Wonder Boy then we'll go this one, maybe... Have faith!...

?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, José Pereira said:

From talkings we (Team HOAXERS ?) had here's my quoting from there:

And to add more is getting the NES gfxs so it the back wals/main colours lines are DLIs of BAK colour register across the screen.

Enemys have 3colours all equal at the same time but sometimes there's a 2nd type one so is here where the change of PF2 in one and the other PF3.

The NES version our guy is on A8 (even wider like kicking) possible in ours 2:1 ratioo 16pixels so is the 4Players but in Multicolour mode (2+2) while Missiles are free for anything else, have to see and/or remember where...

Taking @TIX here's it in the A8 possible colours (similar buit not exactly as did it on P.C. Paint program but you get the idea):

1280343272_master2-walkA8colours.PNG.18b13d3cc4fbc8219951f618d00befaa.PNG

P0/P2: darkest brown (10);

Oring

P1/P3: white (0E);

=

3rd colour: lightest brown (1E);

Lets finish Wonder Boy then we'll go this one, maybe... Have faith!...

?

So following this have a look at the NES version maps of the levels:

https://www.nesmaps.com/maps/KungFu/KungFu.html

Hree we have Background (just gfxs) and Labeled (with enemys) maps so is all we need ?...

So as I said above is just a question of adding the enemys as soft sprites. Just have a look on a quick example with 2types of enemys:

2058531619_KungFuMasterexample.PNG.63471a2edf476988ab34050e7616c566.PNG

What we have and can be is DLIs of PFs colours across the screen so is BAK colour register on top roof black, then blue, next brown/orange and black lines on the floor and finaly again black.

On that red and light brown and black (gfx chinese symbol) top will be PF0/PF1 and red & lightest around symbol as PF2/PF3.

Enemys are also trivial: skin as PF0, purple (one of the clothes) as PF1 and then one have PF2 (cyan) while the other has PF3 (white)

At least the PF2 and PF3 can change according to wich type of enemys are on screen (also one, like PF2, when shows the steps to go for the upper/next level/fllor).

This way we can even try and have the game in 48Bytes wider Mode.

Just a quick similar to A8 colours using P.C. program Paint but you get the idea.

The top panel is also not difficult and can be done also with DLis with our guy and serpent maybe using just PMGs.

And the 4Missiles are still left to use somewhere...

P.s.- I'll leave the gfxs and sprites for @TIX ?

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, lbaeza said:

Hi 

According to a currently offline article published on Atariware , Kung-Fu Master was created by Pelusa Software, who were a small team of Atari fans located in Arica, Chile. The main idea of the game was inspired by two arcade games: Yie-Ar Kung Fu (Konami, 1985) and Kung-Fu Master (Irem, 1984).

kung_fu_master_2.gif

Years later, German González, formerly from Pelusa, told Atariware that the game was sent to two magazines: First it was sent to Mundo Atari magazine, from Chile, where his letter was published on issue 24 (June-July 1989) with only a congratulation, no game listing was published there, and the magazine folded the next month. The other magazine Germán sent the listing was Antic, although it was finally published on STart vol 5 issue 2, october 1990. This magazine was a continuation of Antic. You can see an article on page 99 entitled Kung Fu Master, and the listing on pages 112 and 113. In addition to that, a local software publisher named Turbo Software, included the game as "Kung Fu" on at least 2 cartridge games compilation: cartridges "C5" and "2". No permissions were asked to German, and no royalties were sent to him because of the sales of these cartridges including his creation. Germán came to know about this years later, when he bought one of these cartridges second hand on a flea market for his Atari personal collection.

c5a.jpg d2a.jpg

This game was coded on a NTSC Atari computer using Atari Basic, using as few lines as possible so it could be published on a magazine. This program does not work OK on PAL systems, although it has already been fixed by local Atari fans.

Kind regards,

Luis.

Ha! I wrote that mini copycat prototype game just for fun in an afternoon or two, mostly to try to draw and animate the arcade characters in my 800 XL, AFAIR. German remember the details better than me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hasanc said:

Ha! I wrote that mini copycat prototype game just for fun in an afternoon or two, mostly to try to draw and animate the arcade characters in my 800 XL, AFAIR. German remember the details better than me.

Yes, that's right, I remember designing the game with the complete Pelusasoft crew... There is another old post in AA about it. (I'll post it if I find it).

Edited by devwebcl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

convert this puppy to fast basic!

Simply use CTH Fast Basic, then you do not need to convert it at all, hahaha!

(CTH Fast Basic is an "upgrade" of Atari Basic that makes it 10% - 30% faster, that's all. No new commands, not even DIR, just a little bit faster and approx. 1.25 kbytes longer than original Atari Basic. CTH = Closer To Home aka Tom Hunt.)

On 4/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, José Pereira said:

So following this have a look at the NES version maps of the levels:

https://www.nesmaps.com/maps/KungFu/KungFu.html

Here we have Background (just gfxs) and Labeled (with enemys) maps so is all we need ?...

So as I said above is just a question of adding the enemys as soft sprites. Just have a look on a quick example with 2types of enemys:

2058531619_KungFuMasterexample.PNG.63471a2edf476988ab34050e7616c566.PNG

What we have and can be is DLIs of PFs colours across the screen so is BAK colour register on top roof black, then blue, next brown/orange and black lines on the floor and finaly again black.

On that red and light brown and black (gfx chinese symbol) top will be PF0/PF1 and red & lightest around symbol as PF2/PF3.

Enemys are also trivial: skin as PF0, purple (one of the clothes) as PF1 and then one have PF2 (cyan) while the other has PF3 (white)

At least the PF2 and PF3 can change according to wich type of enemys are on screen (also one, like PF2, when shows the steps to go for the upper/next level/fllor).

This way we can even try and have the game in 48Bytes wider Mode.

Just a quick similar to A8 colours using P.C. program Paint but you get the idea.

The top panel is also not difficult and can be done also with DLis with our guy and serpent maybe using just PMGs.

And the 4Missiles are still left to use somewhere...

P.s.- I'll leave the gfxs and sprites for @TIX ?

?

On 5/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, pseudografx said:

My attempt at the ingame graphics. It would require larger sprites though.

kung-fu-master.png

On 5/1/2020 at 4:22 PM, Yaron Nir said:

@José Pereira map file from this?

looking good pseudo

@Yaron Nir the way to go and follow what we're doing on Wonderboy is having it, like I posted, similar to NES so that enemys can use PFs/soft sprites.

It can then/after maybe adding some things on walls, even the pillars.

We can improve the roof and floors because they're on another lines as we can also have the left and right side end of the building like @pseudografx posted here.

His screen looks good but from there we'll never get the guys because there's already the 4colours on wall and if this then there's no colour for guys skin, a 2nd colour of the clothe (and 2x because can be 2types of enemys each time on-screen). From him we'll only have white and black to use so it'll always be missing, at least the skin colour...

Lets just think in WonderBoy by now ?.

?

• 10 months later...