IGNORED

CHELCO 800XL

kheller2

I recently purchased a pair of 130XEs and an in the box 800XL. It has been a while since I cracked open virgin gear and was very surprised to find I had a Chelco 800XL. I had at this point only seen 600XL chelcos. I have got to say this thing is built like a tank, all socketed and some nice components.

Heck, this thing has the SIO port screwed down with nuts, a foam/rubber mat over the bus and PITA tiny splits in the shield to hold the halves together. Not to mention actual wires for grounding the cart doors and keyboard plate.

The box states a late 9/84 manufacture date but the major chips seem to be all 83.

Just thought I would share this.

post-4566-0-93338500-1474510701_thumb.jpeg

post-4566-0-98621600-1474510715_thumb.jpeg

Edited by kheller2
  • Like 2

Interesting, makes me wonder if I have a chelco 800XL. I have an all socketed 800XL, says made in Hong Kong and has a special keyboard - unfortunately which now has one broken key cap. Ashame because otherwise the keyboard actually seems superior to a standard one. Now that I know what to look for, I'll have to see if it is stamped chelco

• Like 1

Would someone give a bit more info on what exactly a chelco version was, I obviously presume a different manufactured version but some info would be nice as I've never heard of them.

Chelco (Chinese Electrical Company, I think) manufactured machines under contract for Atari overseas, usually (always?) in Hong Kong.

• Like 1

Interesting, makes me wonder if I have a chelco 800XL. I have an all socketed 800XL, says made in Hong Kong and has a special keyboard - unfortunately which now has one broken key cap. Ashame because otherwise the keyboard actually seems superior to a standard one. Now that I know what to look for, I'll have to see if it is stamped chelco

Which keyboard version? There is a thread that discusses the different versions.

CHELCO did some interesting boards. Not to dig up and old topic, but this posting in the 600XL thread links to a REV 3 600XL board that is VERY different from what we all know.

Wow, that is quite a bit different.

The way I identify Chelco machines is by the wider font used for the labels over the case ports.

Maybe we can get Mr. Savetz to "chase" down someone from Chelco!

• Like 2

Here is a way to identify board versions on the CHELCOs... I just figured this out...

P/N: 150 800 011 (Spaces added for clarity) This is an 800XL version 11(?) REV A2

P/N: 150 600 002 600XL, marked as REV 3

P/N: 150 600 008 600XL, marked as REV 8A

It seems the last three digits for the part number changes based upon board revision. Which is nice they did that.

Also, CHELCO boards have the manufacture (assembled?) date stamped in ink along the shield ground plane on the right side.

As a side note, I just opened a 130XE with the typical REV B board but made in week 44 of 1986 by a company called "ACTION" ?

• 2 months later...

I also got a Chelco 800XL last year in a great condition case. Photos below that I took last night.

the SIO port screwed down with nuts, a foam/rubber mat over the bus and PITA tiny splits in the shield to hold the halves together. Not to mention actual wires for grounding the cart doors and keyboard plate.

Same on this Chelco 800XL as well. Those splits make putting the shield back on very difficult and the shield doesn't line up well when reassembling since it is a partial clam shell. I found that it is best to have it all out of the case when putting the shield back on.

Notice how the RAM chips are not matched. Just searched and all are Hitachi brand. Is that 200ns for the top 4? Bottom half are also Hitachi but different package.. Is that Atari doing that or did someone swap some?

Edit: Notice the chip creep on the chip to the right of Pokey. Also to the left of pokey two of those had crept up but harder to see. Machine works great btw. Rather blurry video.

post-49049-0-38086900-1481848236_thumb.jpg

post-49049-0-93733000-1481848248_thumb.jpg

post-49049-0-35469800-1481848276_thumb.jpg

post-49049-0-63811000-1481848287_thumb.jpg

post-49049-0-29188400-1481848297_thumb.jpg

post-49049-0-16993400-1481848322_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sugarland

I recently purchased a pair of 130XEs and an in the box 800XL. It has been a while since I cracked open virgin gear and was very surprised to find I had a Chelco 800XL. I had at this point only seen 600XL chelcos. I have got to say this thing is built like a tank, all socketed and some nice components.

Heck, this thing has the SIO port screwed down with nuts, a foam/rubber mat over the bus and PITA tiny splits in the shield to hold the halves together. Not to mention actual wires for grounding the cart doors and keyboard plate.

The box states a late 9/84 manufacture date but the major chips seem to be all 83.

Just thought I would share this.

Was this 800XL was a New Old Stock?

Also, what is a Chelco ? Is this one of the revision of the board? was this the best out there for 800xl?