IGNORED

My computer room

Majdachi

Performance.

I'm running MAME on my Core i7 (already 4 years old, of course), and I'm struggling hard in my code to keep the emulation speed above 100%. The 99/8 eats up lots of performance by the emulation of its custom chips and the big GROM library. I just added a small improvement by turning off the GROM clock when the GROMs are idle, but the MAME benchmark just keeps below 260% (without graphics rendering). With graphics rendering, you will be down to roughly 100%+x.

Use the search function of this forum to find some experiments that I did on a Raspi 1 for the TI-99/4A emulation, where the benchmark ended up at about 20%. With graphics, 2-3%. The same benchmark yields some 500% on a PC. That is, with respect to this emulation, the Raspi 1 is about 25 times slower than one core of my PC.

The Geneve is better off than the TI-99/8, but also slower than the TI-99/4A.

Mind that I'm talking about the mainline MAME release, not about some derivatives or ancient releases like advmane. MAME has invested a lot of efforts in cycle-precise emulation - the effect of which is not guaranteed to be perceivable by everyone. Also, there is a huge span of performance requirements between systems inside MAME.

I compiled the MAME executable on the Raspi 1 itself, which actually needed 24 hours.

I've checked in now and then, but it always comes down to the final price. Finding one in pristine condition, KA-CHING, paying the shipping, KA-CHING, then adding in the power conversion stuff, KA-CHING, and of course the mandatory item, a Retro Clinic Kit, KA-CHING!

gallery_35324_1027_334477.jpg

Yep the BBC Micro was a great machine. I wrote a student database program on one back at college. Never personally owned one. Sadly for us in the USA getting hold of one is a bit pricey. Might as well go for a BBC Master or Archimedes if you are planning to spend that amount of cash. Maybe the next time I head over the pond to visit the family I will keep an eye out for one and bring it back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...