IGNORED

Cosmetic Condition of Best Electronics Reconditioned Systems?

Skippy B. Coyote

Hey there everyone :)

Some of you may remember my various threads from last year about all the Atari 2600 systems I've purchased that broke down on me. For those that don't, the short version of the story is that I've owned 6 different Atari 2600s over the past 3 years or so; all of which were purchased either brand new or in like new condition and promptly broke down in one way or another within a few months of use.

I loved playing and collecting for the Atari 2600, enough so that I ended up logging 10 to 20 hours a week every week playing my systems during the time that I had them, but eventually I just got too frustrated and fed up with my bad luck with systems (because buying a new condition Atari every few months isn't cheap, even after reselling the broken systems for parts) and ended up selling off my entire collection of $1,400 or so worth of Atari games and accessories. I loved playing Atari, but I just didn't want to have to deal with the constantly breaking systems anymore.

It's been about a year since the mass liqidation of my collection, and honestly I really miss it. I've still been playing Atari via emulation on the Wii, but it just doesn't feel the same or give me the same sense of joy that playing with a real collection of original cartridges did. So at this point I'm strongly considering getting back into collecting and playing with real Atari 2600 hardware again, but after all the bad luck I've had with system reliability in the past I'm feeling a little wary of buying any more systems off eBay and leaning more towards buying a reconditioned system from Best Electronics.

Now to finally get to the point of this thread, as you may have gathered from the backstory I'm a wee bit obsessive about the cosmetic condition of the systems I buy. I am definitely interested in the possibility of picking up a reconditioned system from Best, especially since they come with a 90 day warranty and I know with my luck that if it is possible for a system to break then it will find a way to break on me within the first few months of ownership. :lol: The only thing I'm concerned about is what the cosmetic condition of Best's reconditioned systems is like. Specifically I'm interested in getting a Light Sixer and wondering if it will come with a new scratch-free casing and whether or not it will have the original orange bezel paint either fully intact or repainted to a nice clean like-new appearance. I don't particularly care whether the bezel paint is original or restored, so long as it is 100% intact with no signs of wear.

Has anyone here ever ordered a Light Sixer, or any other Atari system for that matter, from Best Electronics? If so, what was the cosmetic condition of the system like when it arrived? Did it appear like-new or were there external flaws?

Any customer feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Jin

Bought a refurb'd Light Sixer from BEST in the mid 90's and still have it (yes, it works)! Couldn't distinguish from new, except for the RF cable - which is a more modern Atari branded cable with plastic ferrite box toward the end. Ferrite box has the Atari and Fuji logo on it. Oh and he does place his Atari Factory Warranty stickers over a screw hole or two. No scratches, paint around the bezel intact, switches feel like new and the cartridge port is nice and tight. Wouldn't hesitate recommending and purchasing any refurb'd systems from Brad.

• Like 1

That's wonderful to hear that Best's reconditioned consoles were in such good shape and are still working fine after all these years! Or at least it would be wonderful if it wasn't for this thread I discovered from May of this year: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252629-anybody-ever-order-from-best-electronics/?p=3514269

According to some of the posters in that thread, Best stopped selling reconditioned systems back in March and doesn't plan to sell them again. So it looks like after being around for over 30 years I might have missed my chance to get a system from Best by just a few months. I'll give Brad a call when they open this afternoon to confirm it, but it looks like my abysmal luck with all things relating to Atari systems may be continuing. >_<

Alright, I ended up talking with Brad at Best Electronics over the phone a few minutes ago and what I learned is that they've been so overwhelmed with orders this year that their tech people couldn't keep up (and they're already working 7 days a week) so they had to cut some aspect of their business, and that ended up being reconditioned systems. So for the foreseeable future, which Brad said would be at least the rest of the year, they will not be selling any reconditioned systems.

The alternative option he suggested was to find a good condition non-working Atari 2600 4 switch system for cheap elsewhere and then buy a new motherboard and power supply from Best to drop in the case, since they guarantee both for 90 days. It wasn't a bad idea, but he did say that they couldn't guarantee what Revision of motherboard I'd get if I ordered one and I definitely have a strong preference for Rev. 16 boards in 4 switch systems due to their brighter and more vibrant color output. The color from earlier 4 switch board revisions just looks dull and dreary by comparison, in my experience at least.

So at this point I'm not too sure what to do. I'd rather not wait until next year to get an Atari 2600 again, but I'd rather not roll the dice on yet another system from eBay or cross my fingers that I get the one 4 switch Rev. board that I'm partial to from Best. I may just have to keep my eye on the Marketplace section here and see if any pristine condition 2600 systems come up for sale over the next couple of months.

Edited by Jin

I have 7 or so 2600's all work fine. Never had a problem with any of them... The looks of them varies I guess. Never been cleaned inside or recapped etc... I don't look at them just play them now and then and maybe blow the dust off em..

Stop looking at them they will break as they get nervous.

• Like 2

My AV 7800 console arrived in immaculate condition. The 7800 bezel plate still had the blue protective plastic over it, which I promptly peeled off. It looked as if it was fresh out of the box (no box though), and yes, the screw holes have wax plugs and warranty stickers over it.