IGNORED

Pac_Man Eat n Run

Lewis2907

On 4/25/2021 at 4:51 PM, Lewis2907 said:

Bb Team,

Attached is another update Karl G has been helping a lot in the last few weeks with this game. I was actually looking back when I first started making stuff with Bb. I have came a long ways, but still so much more to learn. 

b.) AFP - Looking for an 8GB SD Card lol. 

20210426_Pacman_Eat_n_Run.bas.bin 32 kB · 17 downloads

FYI - it does not load on the AFP. It gets stuck on the "loading" screen.

• Like 1

Arenafoot,

Thanks. Once my 2GB SD card arrives via the almighty Amazon on Monday I will start to test it out and see if I can fix the issue. I'm not even sure if the titlescreen works with the AFP. I recall that DPC+ had issues playing on their as well along with some posts I saw that had different versions of their games so it would play on AFP, Emulator, Retron 77, 2600 etc. 

Of note I did come up with an idea and easter egg per say for the ending of the game and if you loose before beating the game since I have one full bank of space left. 

Games made with the Multisprite kernel have issues on the AFP. It's not a problem with the Multisprite kernel, but limitations of the primitive emulator in the AFP. Specifically early HMOVE operations used to position the player objects in that kernel are not interpreted correctly. 

• Like 1

Karl G,

Thanks. I will make try and make separate playable one for the AFP (if possible). I'm close to finishing up the Multisprite version of this game based upon what I can do in Bb. Then maybe a little work on the DPC+ version as I will have to reteach myself some of that as well. Then move on to another project. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update as I near completion for this game. My intent was to make it for AFP as well. I noticed that if you use 32k vice 32kSC the game will play. I didn't fill all the banks up yet as now I have way more space. I now need to "learn" what controls what on the AFP (back to the drawing board) in order to have the same game play as your cell phone emulator, computer emulator and real hardware if this even work on it. 

Plans ahead, but may takes some time.

1.) Work on the standard version that plays in emulators

a.) I have added an ending screen

b.) Work on fruits

c.) I now have more space maybe add sound effects

d.) Maybe another version for a level or expand beyond 25 rooms (This takes time to build since there is pfpixel as RT stated). I'm using brute force

e.) Ending and game over will be based upon points. This would make people want to play more I think.

2.) AFP version 

a.) Making progress, but it's going slow.

b.) Need to know what controls work with Bb. When I tried what you can in an emulator I was lost

c.) Seems like the screen is off and the game play too. 

1c.) Could be I need to fill every bank down to "zero"

2c.) Code may need to be adjusted to make sure it lines up correctly

3c.) As others have said the emulator in the AFP is not the best with Bb

3.) DPC Version

a.) Works for now, but needs an over haul as I have learned more in Bb with the help of everyone in the forum.

4.) Feedback and suggestions 

20210514_Pacman_Eat_n_Run.bas.bin 20210517_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_AFP.bas.bin

• Like 2

I hate to continue to be the bearer of bad news with your project, but the Multisprite kernel is not compatible with the AFP, either. The issue is the same as for the text minikernel: the player objects are repositioned using an early HMOVE to avoid the black lines on the left side of the screen, and the ancient emulator in the AFP does not handle this correctly. The standard kernel mostly works apart from the score, and I created an alternate version of the standard kernel to get the score to work as well. The Multisprite kernel would need to be extensively reworked to be compatible with the AFP, unfortunately.

Karl G,

Thanks. It keeps me from going down the rabbit hole. I will just work towards the normal way. Then maybe experiment with the standard kernel. Overall starting back up on this project has taught me some more stuff about Bb and to look at stuff a different way.

5 hours ago, Lewis2907 said:

2.) AFP version 

a.) Making progress, but it's going slow.

b.) Need to know what controls work with Bb. When I tried what you can in an emulator I was lost

c.) Seems like the screen is off and the game play too. 

1c.) Could be I need to fill every bank down to "zero"

2c.) Code may need to be adjusted to make sure it lines up correctly

3c.) As others have said the emulator in the AFP is not the best with Bb

Hopefully you can get it to work on the AFP. My bB game that Ross Adkin programmed, works on the portable but has issues with the scoring display (adds 0's to the front) and the items are misaligned on the screen.

Here is another update as I near completion for this game. 

Plans ahead, but may takes some time.

1.) Work on the standard version that plays in emulators

a.) I have added an ending screen (Complete, but I have more ideas since I have more space now)

b.) Work on fruits - (WIP now that I have some more space, but running low on sprite data)

c.) I now have more space maybe add sound effects. (Basically I went from 32kSC to 32K and redid the Kernel Options based of RT's page)

d.) Maybe another version for a level or expand beyond 25 rooms (This takes time to build since there is pfpixel as RT stated). I'm using brute force (Maybe) I am in brain overload with the game so far :)

e.) Ending and game over will be based upon points. This would make people want to play more I think. (Working on it for the next update)

2.) AFP version 

a.) Making progress, but it's going slow. (Doubt it if will happen. When I have time I ma try a plug and play, but taking Karl G advice on this one. Sad as that was my goal to make a game for my grandkids to play on the go)

3.) DPC Version

a.) Works for now, but needs an over haul as I have learned more in Bb with the help of everyone in the forum. (No updates as I am basically exanding my Batari Basic base and learning new stuff. 

4.) Feedback and suggestions 

a.) fixed the screen jumps, colors and ending. I put a double "drawsreen" in the program based upon the readings from RT's page. Took a while to get it all work right. I'm sure I find some more bugs along the way.

20210519_Pacman_Eat_n_Run.bas.bin

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

2022_12_23 Here is another update as I near completion for this game (for what I can do).

1.) Game plays on Javatari laptop now at https://javatari.org/

a.) Cell phone version is way better to use for javatari. I have an android phone, so I can't speak on iPhone's.

2.) Game plays on Stella / 2600 App Emulator. I don't have real hardware (well I need to figure out what's wrong with my stuff and how to load it up)

3.) Game won't work on AFP. I bought mines some years ago for this very purpose to make some portable games. Doubt I can even port this over reason I left the DPC version alone to produce this mulitsprite version  in hopes that it would work on the AFP. 

4.) Sending a request to http://www.virtualatari.org/ to upload the game.

5.) So far what works and plays. Screen shots from my android phone using Javatari.

a.) Titlescreen is a lot better. I plan to add my name later.

d.) 25 rooms. Basically move around and take the exits to the next room. Karl G (or someone) made an open world format that would make moving around rooms easier, but the collision detection in the multisprite format hasn't been cracked from what I can tell. I may use that code for the DPC version. 

e.) Below the score is some quick text.

f.) press the fire button as a mini nest egg per say.

h.) toggle the B/W switch is for the map/game. Select is to Pause the game (press fire to resume game).

i.) Currently only 3 lives. Will add extra lives later along with different fruits and increase speed of ghost as you get closer to the end of the game (black out room).

6.) Feedback and suggestions are always welcomed that is how I learned and I'm still learning.

a.) Of note I am working on a PowerPoint on how to make the titlescreen that one is tough. I had to reteach my self to revamp it some. There is a tutorial, but it was a challenge for me to figure it out. Once done the PowerPoint should have all the tools needed in file to create a decent titlescreen.

b.) Source Code part I. You need to have the folder titlescreen as well with the pictures (images). 

c.) Source Code part II. You will need the multisprite kernel for the text ASM as well in the same folder as the source (.bas) code

d.) Source Code part III. I could be wrong about the folders and stuff. Just trying to make it easier for us novice who want to look at the code and see that it actually works. Attached is a screen shot of how I set the folders up to work. 

PacMan Folder Setup for Bb.png

20221201_Pacman_Eat_n_Run (Javatari).bas.bin titlescreen.zip multisprite_kernel.zip

20221201_Pacman_Eat_n_Run (Javatari).bas

Screenshot_20221223-203110.png

Screenshot_20221223-203059.png

Screenshot_20221223-203053.png

Screenshot_20221223-203045.png

Edited by Lewis2907
  • Like 5

This is definitely an interesting choice of Pac-Man variant to port, and I like it ;-)  Two things cropped up, however.

1. The screen bounces periodically
  2. Pac-Man can end up embedded in the top horizontal wall of the maze if he partially enters the tunnel, then immediately turns left or right before being completely in the tunnel itself

Both of these happened on physical hardware: a 7800 with a Concerto cartridge, a 2600 Jr. with a Harmony cartridge, and the same 7800 with the same Harmony cartridge.

The capture below was taken from the 7800; the 2600 hasn't been A/V modded yet, so there's no good way to snag its video output.

Thanks. I have notice the bounce here and there with Stella. Since I don't have real hardware I'm unable to test it there. I plan to see if I can get my old Atari fixed and test it there vice the other emulators. For Pacman ending up like that I think I know where the issues is in the code as I thought I had worked that bug out a long time ago.

Thanks again for testing it and the feedback.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Bb Team,

I have started back working on this game and sort of revamped it over to DPC since it won't really work on AFP for now. I am trying to see a simple program for dpcspritemax. I see the below on RT's page as i'm refreshing my memory on Bb and DPC. I know that right now I just need Players 0-4 and want to kill off the others to have more variables. How would I do that and assign variables. I don't need nothing highspeed just a simple program so I can digest what is going on and implement it in to the rebuild of this game, thanks. 

Edit: looking at the code below I think I answered my own question. dpcspritemax 4 is what I need and gives me 20 more.

Basically the below is an example

dim dum_me = a

dim dum_me = player5x

********Below From RT Page********

Using "set dpcspritemax 4" would free up 20 extra variables:

player5x, player5y, NUSIZ5, player5height

player6x, player6y, NUSIZ6, player6height

player7x, player7y, NUSIZ7, player7height

player8x, player8y, NUSIZ8, player8height

player9x, player9y, NUSIZ9, player9height

Using "set dpcspritemax 3" would free up 24 extra variables:

player4x, player4y, NUSIZ4, player4height

Using "set dpcspritemax 2" would free up 28 extra variables:

player3x, player3y, NUSIZ3, player3height

player4x, player4y, NUSIZ4, player4height

Edited by Lewis2907
  • Like 2

Lets try this again lol. Don't worry the ghosts can't kill you yet. I can only test on Stella and my cell since I need to find someone to fix my real hardware or just a new 2600. Also if anyone can help me get started with 7800basic (I tried and got lost trying to just load the program). Then I can port this over to the 7800 and make it look better and have more features. 

Updates are in "blue" the "red" is still a WIP.

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
;
; Instructions / What works
;
; Use the joystick to move around
; Use Select Switch to Pause Game
; Use BW / Color Switch to bring up and close Map

; All 4 ghost now work thanks to RT demo on his page. Took me a about a week to sort of figure what is going on there, but I know have a blue print for 4 AI enemies in the other games I want to make. 

; Glide along the walls to find the exit. You can use the map, but trying to recall the exit with out the map may show your memory skill. Probably use the A&B switch to disable the map to make it harder WIP

; titlescreen from the previous build works

; fixed the map screen bug

; added a bar at the bottom right to tell you how much time you have left to get the fruit

; added the intro sound from the previous builds

; Future plans. 

; Incorporate the ending screen from the previous build

; look at trying to save some more space. I'm not sure if DPC has been expanded like the SD kernel. 

; increase or decrease the speed of the ghosts as you get closer to the finish (room 12) (Maybe too hard as it is with their speed and mazes). 

; add the text kernel from the previous build, but I'm low on space now

; make the mazes a little better and not so hard

Any ideas or comments are always welcome, thanks. 

20230818_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_DPC.bas.bin

Edited by Lewis2907
  • Like 2

I have a question as I always struggle with this. I can decrease the lives, but I can never increase them let alone say at every points intervals. Does anyone have a example. Everything I see online is decrease lives. I looked at RT's page some today and it just the examples show decrease, not increase and based upon an increasing incremental score. example an extra life at 25 points, 50 points, 75 points etc. Hopefully I made sense. 

;***************************************************************
   ;
   ;  lives and health bars & colors 
   ;
   pfscore1 = %00101010

Player0 gets enough points via "gosub __Extra_Life"

__Extra_Life

if score = 5 then pfscore1 = pfscore1*4|2

return otherbank

Edit:

I figured it out somewhat I attached the .bas and bin for your favorite emulator. Basically I have to reteach my self and make a note below in the program. Probably a better way to do what I did, but it works for now. To test the program. Bump into the "Red your Dead" face and then "Blue to Renew" face. Lives at 5, 15, 25. The Orange Face will subtract 5 points. 

The max you can have is 4 lives "I think". Maybe this will help others out there trying to figure this out. If someone knows a better way please share as I'm very low on space now, thanks. 

;  Converts 6 digit score to 3 sets of two digits.
   ;
   ;  The 100 thousands and 10 thousands digits are held by _sc1.
   ;  The thousands and hundreds digits are held by _sc2.
   ;  The tens and ones digits are held by _sc3.
   ;  
   ;  You need to place a "$" in front of any values you check. 
   ;  For example, to check if the score is equal to 5
   ;  Use _sc3 = $05
   ;
   if _Extra_Life = 1 then goto __Skip_1
   if _Extra_Life = 2 then goto __Skip_2
   if _Extra_Life = 3 then goto __Skip_3

if _sc3 = $05 then pfscore1 = pfscore1*4|1 : _Extra_Life = 1

__Skip_1

if _sc3 = $15 then pfscore1 = pfscore1*4|1 : _Extra_Life = 2

__Skip_2

if _sc3 = $25 then pfscore1 = pfscore1*4|1 : _Extra_Life = 320230823_DPC_Extra_Lives_Template.bas

__Skip_3

return otherbank20230823_DPC_Extra_Lives_Template.bas.bin

Edited by Lewis2907

Here is another update on the DPC version. It seems a lot better. Had to sacrifice the death scene as I was running out of space. I do plan to incorporate this version over to the Multisprite as well since I was close to complete for what I can do and make a few improvements. Comments & suggestions are always welcome too.

ZeroPage Homebrew thanks for the review back in 2017 the 10 Pac-Man games (as I just saw it this week via Google Search). I did get promoted to LTC and still in the Army Reserves. My real name is Darrell Lewis. I'm on another deployment so I have some free time to tinker with Bb. 

;
;

; If you let the Titlescreen play all the way to the end without pressing the fire button you get a little Pac-Man history. (I may add my name in

; there).
; Use BW / Color Switch to bring up and close Map. (Map Screen looks a lot better)

; If you get hit by a Ghost they all reset and you keep running around. (RT's Maze Example)

; You start with three lives and at 20, 30 and 50 points you can get an extra life

; If you see the Pear or Apple the timer starts at the bottom right and you only have some time to grab it before it disappears 

; The game over and ending screen are not exactly what I wanted, but I ran out of space. 

; There are text messages at the bottom of the score as well (Karl G text minikernel)

; In the .bas file I did give credit to almost everyone I can think of as I borrowed a lot of code online to make this game happen

;

; Future plans if any for DPC.

; Not sure if it's possible to shrink RT's DPC Maze Example Program

; If it's possible and enough room then add a better ending if you win and a final death scene after all three lives are gone. 

;

; Future plans for the Multisprite Version

; Revamp it some and add the elements I like from the DPC version and the stuff I was unable to fit in because of space

; Then do a comparison in the Bb forum to see which one is better.

20230824_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_DPC.bas.bin

Screenshot_20230825-022919.png

Screenshot_20230825-022843.png

Screenshot_20230825-022744.png

Edited by Lewis2907
Added screenshots from Android phone.

The title screen looks really nice :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I get a hard crash on both my 7800 and 2600 Jr. after starting the game.  The maze draws, everything is visible, and right after the tune plays both machines lock up.

This is on the 2600 Jr. with a Harmony Encore, and on the 7800 with a Concerto.

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Unfortunately, I get a hard crash on both my 7800 and 2600 Jr. after starting the game.  The maze draws, everything is visible, and right after the tune plays both machines lock up.

Thanks. I need to probably buy another Atari. I only have Stella to test it in. 

• Like 1

Here is another update on the DPC version. 

;
;

; If you let the Titlescreen play all the way to the end without pressing the fire button you get a little Pac-Man history. 

; there).
; Use BW / Color Switch to bring up and close Map. (Map Screen looks a lot better)

; If you get hit by a Ghost they all reset and you keep running around. (RT's Maze Example)

; You start with three lives and at 20, 30 and 50 points you can get an extra life

; If you see the Pear or Apple the timer starts at the bottom right and you only have some time to grab it before it disappears 

; The game over and ending screen are not exactly what I wanted, but I ran out of space. 

; There are text messages at the bottom of the score as well (Karl G text minikernel)

; In the .bas file I did give credit to almost everyone I can think of as I leveraged a lot of code online to make this game happen

;

; Update(s):

; The playfield looks a lot better with a multicolor playfield & score the same color.

; The text now has Red, Blue, Pink and Orange to simulate the ghost(s) talking to each other. 

; Currently works on my Android with 2600.emu and Stella. (No real hardware to test and fix the issues. May buy the new

; 2600+).

; Out of space for now. If someone can shrink RT's DPC Maze Example then I could add more stuff.

; Started back working & revamping the Multisprite Version.

; Memory left below. 

5 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
      76 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
      16 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
      76 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
      104 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
      213 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
      1020 bytes of ROM space left in graphics bank

20230825_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_DPC.bas 20230825_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_DPC.bas.bin

Edited by Lewis2907
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lewis2907 said:

(No real hardware to test and fix the issues. May buy the new

; 2600+).

If you're considering it for testing, pick up a Junior instead.  The 2600+ is essentially an emulation box and doesn't operate in the same ways as actual hardware.  It's also not compatible with things like the Harmony, etc.

More info:

18 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Thanks. I need to probably buy another Atari. I only have Stella to test it in. 

• Like 1

Bb Team,

I'm working on the Multisprite version now. 

1. Is there a easy way to make pfscore look like a sprite. Similar to the original arcade game. I'm about 85% complete with the conversion similar to the DPC version. 

2. Is there a way to assign a variable to player0x and player0y? I'm using the missile(s) and ball to "save" the original place when I go to the map. I doubt you can make the missile(s) and ball go behind the playfield as that would solve the problem too.

;***********
   ;
   ; Ms PacMan Location Center Room
   ; using the missile to remember the players spot
   ; 
   missile0x = player0x : missile0y = player0y
   missile1x = player3x : missile1y = player3y
   ballx = player4x : bally = player4y

image.thumb.png.0aacd90506ad9b50dc955d761299d110.png

Batari Basic Team,

Attached are the updated DPC & Multisprite versions. Let me know if you find issues etc. and feedback is always welcomed, thanks. 

; Instructions / What works for both (DPC & Multisprite)
;

; If you let the Titlescreen play all the way to the end without pressing the fire button you get a little Pac-Man history. 

; there).

; If you get hit by a Ghost you loose five points

; If you see the Fruit the timer starts at the bottom right and you only have some time to grab it before it disappears  

; There are text messages at the bottom of the score as well (Karl G text minikernel). Each color represents a ghost talking

;

; DPC version you just run over the ghost and the health loose a life and keep going. The ghost move faster here as you

; have more room to move around.

;

; Multisprite version you loose a life and reset in the middle with animation. The screens a colored to present a pattern. The ; ghost move a little slower than the DPC version since the mazes are mirrored and sort of hard to navigate.

;

; Future Plans & Update(s):

; DPC - game over, ending screen and other stuff are not exactly what I wanted, but I ran out of space.

; Multisprite - game over, ending screen and other stuff are not exactly what I wanted, but I have more space and need to learn a little more.

; Currently works on my Android with 2600.emu and Stella. (No real hardware to test and fix the issues. May buy the new

2600 after deployment to try and fix the issues.)

20230829 - PacMan_Eat_N_Run_Multispritev1.bas.bin 20230830_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_DPC.bas.bin

Edited by Lewis2907
  • Like 1