IGNORED

Miner 2049'er, it scared me!

Keatah

Yup. Miner 2049'er was a scare game for me as a kid.

First of all that ominous pounding bass rumble. I just new something bad was around the corner. And when Bounty Bob walks around it sounds like a blood pressure cuff being endlessly tightened at the doctor's office.

What threw me over the top and made me go cry in the corner was when Bounty Bob dies and gets sucked into the ground. The electronic equivalent of arms flailing and being de-rezzed in a cacophony of static while only his hat remains above the suffocating surface. I couldn't take it!!

It might have been an alright effect for a science-ee type explosion or something. Or had BB gone willingly, but he didn't. And it was terrifying. What if that happened to me when I was outside playing with my electronic stuff and batteries and RadioShack kits?!?! And the tension of the "dropping out of warp" from Star Raiders - so disorienting seeing one game steal effects from another.

And as if to make it all better it plays notes from Ohh My Darling Clementine.. How much can a kid take??

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Really ... I wish I knew what the sound is like for me....

I don't like to admit but I am deaf , complete silent world to me.

How old you were playing on Miner's 2049 ?

My 1st 8 bit computer is Atari 800XL PAL when I was a kid as 12 old. I know it is late ....but it is better than nothing. I got this computer at Singapore at that time.

Edited by Caterpiggle

Yes, I had been playing the Miner's 2049 before with my hearing aid BUT it never be perfect translating from computer audio sound into my brain. Because my brain interpreted differently (!) thought my hearing aid alone. Of course, my brain is confusing all those "weird" sound that make no sense to me at all. But I would NOT figure out how to beat on level 4 or 5 ! Because I would not figure out HOW to jump in the middle of screen where it is platform stand there. I ALWAYS failed and jumped into suicide. I will search the photo on level 4 or 5.... and post it in 1 day.

My mistake, it was on station 3 ! So, when I watch the YouTube and I must wait inside the elevator , I was transport into another elevator above by press the button down ? Is that right ?

Edited by Caterpiggle
  • Like 1

Keatah...You old WUSS :)

There's only one game that scared me and I was a bit older than you were and that was Fractulas / Jaggi.......That alien did for me what it did for most of us, made us fall off our chair with shock.

As a young boy I remember Dr Who in all its black and white glory making me hide behind the sofa, how I laugh at those monsters now :)

Good days, nice desription Keatah...

Paul..

• Like 1

The game that scared me: Theatre Europe. Having to actually call a phone number to get launch codes for my missiles and hearing the sad soundtrack on the phone play with what I think we're children crying was a bit nerve wracking during the Cold War era. I wonder if anyone ever recorded that and has it archived.

Edited by kheller2

Keatah...You old WUSS :)

There's only one game that scared me and I was a bit older than you were and that was Fractulas / Jaggi.......That alien did for me what it did for most of us, made us fall off our chair with shock.

As a young boy I remember Dr Who in all its black and white glory making me hide behind the sofa, how I laugh at those monsters now :)

Good days, nice desription Keatah...

Paul..

Beat me to it! Even when I KNEW it was an alien, I freaked. I had an early copy (ok, I admit it) with obviously no instructions and damn that scared me senseless first time I saw it (and I was in high school then!).

• Like 2

Yep, the Jaggy popping up and banging and smashing the cockpit window...and the spine-chilling sound from the Pokey chip when it happened. I can see a deaf person being startled still when the Jaggy pops up, but it was the spine chilling sound that happened at the same time that would get my heart pounding.

There wasn't another game that did the same thing until I played Alien vs. Predator on the Jaguar.

• Like 2

<snip>

Then please try Citadel Warrior. Try some senseless wandering (especially on higher levels and with volume set to some louder as usually). Heart attack or at least meeting with floor guaranteed. :D

Edited by miker

Yes, I had been playing the Miner's 2049 before with my hearing aid BUT it never be perfect translating from computer audio sound into my brain. Because my brain interpreted differently (!) thought my hearing aid alone. Of course, my brain is confusing all those "weird" sound that make no sense to me at all. But I would NOT figure out how to beat on level 4 or 5 ! Because I would not figure out HOW to jump in the middle of screen where it is platform stand there. I ALWAYS failed and jumped into suicide. I will search the photo on level 4 or 5.... and post it in 1 day.

My mistake, it was on station 3 ! So, when I watch the YouTube and I must wait inside the elevator , I was transport into another elevator above by press the button down ? Is that right ?

Have you played Bounty Bob? I fell in love with Miner 2049er until I discovered Bounty Bob Strikes Back. It improved on mechanics used in M2049r, such as the jumping. You have a LOT better movement control in Bounty Bob, which made the game more fun for me to play. There are definitely some frustrating jumps in M2049r, and if those were carried into the BB mechanics, they'd be far more achievable.

Another game I'd recommend you try is Lode Runner. I'd forgotten how relaxing a game it is. You have time to study the puzzle and make a plan, too. Definitely a recommended game. And it's great because you can use the programming against itself when playing to solve the puzzle level!

By the way, when you finally make it through levels 4 or 5, level 6 will be waiting. ;)

--Tim

• Like 1

Then please try Citadel Warrior. Try some senseless wandering (especially on higher levels and with volume set to some louder as usually). Heart attack or at least meeting with floor guaranteed. :D

I'm 55 and a bit on the fat side, I best not push my luck on the heart side :)

Less cake, more playing :)

• Like 1

Miner didn't scare me....like so many others, Jaggi/ROF was the first game where I REALLY got shocked.

Thing was, I had my 600XL's sound hooked up to my (pretty beefy) stereo system then. Simply split the mono sound into both inputs, but it gave a HELL of a bass (f.i. with DK :) ).
I loved to play the sound pretty loud so the first time I encountered an alien on ROF I think I jumped up about a meter from my chair !

It wan't until Doom that a game scared me again.....not so much scared but mostly startled when one of the monsters jumped up from an unexpected corner....

Last game to scare me was Unreal......the first single player version...... that first level....where all the lights go out one by one......yep.....that got me....I had surround sound by then....damn that helped a bit too.... :D

The "bonus" level of Unreal where the ship is dark and only lit by some green glowing stuff is pretty scary too.... I loved Unreal single player....the atmosphere was magic.

Edited by Level42

. . .What threw me over the top and made me go cry in the corner was when Bounty Bob dies and gets sucked into the ground. The electronic equivalent of arms flailing and being de-rezzed in a cacophony of static while only his hat remains above the suffocating surface. I couldn't take it!! . . .

Would it have been more scary if they had a Dalek appear from nowhere and exterminate him?

:)

• Like 1

Kyle, you seem to on a Dalek roll today (pokey music thread) :)

I grew up in Belfast being scared to death of them (even in black and white TV) but its good they addressed the age old stairs issue in the newer series :)

The dominators of the galaxy thwarted by a set of stairs....Bad karma :)

• Like 1

Kyle, you seem to on a Dalek roll today (pokey music thread) :)

I grew up in Belfast being scared to death of them (even in black and white TV) but its good they addressed the age old stairs issue in the newer series :)

The dominators of the galaxy thwarted by a set of stairs....Bad karma :)

I have a friend who jumps when he sees a Dalek on my projection screen. I already have S.A.M. saying "ex-ter-min-ate", but I wanted to make it a little bit better. I am waiting for the opportunity to "surprise" Bill with this. I'll start a new thread tonight and post the pitch and phoneme info.

• Like 1