IGNORED

Atari 800XL Memory Problem

Ramses

1 hour ago, hueyjones70 said:

I don't think the problem is with the keyboard, I used two different keyboards with similar results. Also, sometimes when I press the OPTION key I get random letters and characters displayed on the screen.

Could be an issue with your GTIA and/or its socket.

On 11/30/2019 at 12:06 PM, hueyjones70 said:

I am working on a 800XL that doesn't go to self test when I boot while pressing OPTION. Any ideas of the possible cause.

Mine does the same. The OPTION key works fine. Typing BYE works fine, and the computer seems to have no issues. Just won't boot into test mode when pushing OPTION.

Weird. Looking forward to the replies.

Do these machines have an original OS ROM?

When you do get into self test via "BYE" from BASIC, do the start/select/option keys seem a little less responsive in they keyboard test that you would expect? Does pressing one of them generate a solid or intermittent tone?

27 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Do these machines have an original OS ROM?

When you do get into self test via "BYE" from BASIC, do the start/select/option keys seem a little less responsive in they keyboard test that you would expect? Does pressing one of them generate a solid or intermittent tone?

I spent a few hours on the weekend restoring this machine, one thing I did was to completely strip back the keyboard and give it a very good clean. All keys are very responsive.

I don't think it's been taken apart before, so I'm assuming the ROM is original.

Edited by nama

• 2 weeks later...