IGNORED

Racing the Atari bus with a STM32F4 microcontroller

electrotrains

Yeah, I'd seen those, and almost bought one, but the horrible keyboard put me off!

I do like the idea of Pico8 - it seems like a good way to recreate the spirit of programming we had in the 80's with home computers. This is in my thoughts at the moment because I'd like to have some way for my son (currently age 6) to learn programming by writing simple games like I did when I was a boy. The UnoCart ATR support was added with that in mind.

Robin

• Like 3

I think ideal will keep UNOcart ATARI (SD - cartridge latter turbo - 6502 instructions or use ARM instructions like on 2600).

And what you can do is UNOboy :D with normal keyboard, dpad, fire buttons. There was more fantasy consoles not only commercial Pico-8.

Pico-8 is successful due Kickstarter that doesnt mean that there are no alternatives...

Bytepusher

http://esolangs.org/wiki/BytePusher

DigitalMZX

http://vault.digitalmzx.net/index.php

Mega Chip 8 / Hires Chip 8

https://web.archive.org/web/20131030034311/http://www.chip8.com/

https://github.com/Ready4Next/Mega8

Edited by Matej

I do like the idea of Pico8 - it seems like a good way to recreate the spirit of programming we had in the 80's with home computers. This is in my thoughts at the moment because I'd like to have some way for my son (currently age 6) to learn programming by writing simple games like I did when I was a boy.

Exactly my thoughts except I have a daughter and she's only 2 years old, so I have plenty of time to get ready when that stuff becomes potentially interesting to her and her siblings hopefully.

I like Pico8 a loooooot and that's why I've started Agd project (Atari game designer http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245864-agd-atari-game-designer-development ).

Was focused on other stuff recently but plan is to make Pico8 equivalent on 8bit Atari. PC version first was the idea (that would produce Atari binaries), but lately it seems to me that native A8 version would be a better way to go.

Maybe even STM powered cartridge that would work as development platform ?

Hmmmmm.......

• Like 2

Hi all,

A little update on the ATR functionality...

I've now got an Atari 1050 disk drive and yesterday I managed to read some of my old floppies, one of which had various BASIC games and other bits and pieces I'd written as a boy.

I decided to back up my teenage creations to SD card, so I booted an ATR from the UnoCart, with the 1050 attached by SIO (and the drive's switches set as drive 2).

Then I successfully copied (using DOS 2.5 copy command) the programs from the real floppy over to the ATR mounted from the UnoCart SD card.

I know this kind of stuff is possible using SIO2PC or SIO2SD, but it was nice to do it with hardware I'd designed myself, and it also demonstrates that FlashJazzCat's modified OS on the cart plays nicely with external SIO devices.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

My cart arrived on time for christmas and works fine. THANKS

An idea for enhancement:

SInce there are carts which work only on OS-A or OS-B it would be nice to have them run on XL or XE by pushing an OS image to the XL/XE-RAM under the OS before starting the cart. This would be similar to the ATR-loading of the cart.

Does this work?

One of the currently unused bytes of the CAR-header could be used as a flag for the UnoCart to decide this automatically.

• Like 2

Hi all,

A little update on the ATR functionality...

I know this kind of stuff is possible using SIO2PC or SIO2SD, but it was nice to do it with hardware I'd designed myself, and it also demonstrates that FlashJazzCat's modified OS on the cart plays nicely with external SIO devices.

Robin

Just wondering it we could get reverse basic function added to this modified OS. Not all bootable atr's are basic related and need the option key pressed. Much more since able to have option key for those few bootable floppies that require basic enabled.

• Like 2

I've been playing around with mine for a little while now, and I really like it :)

The small size even with the cart shell is very nice. But of course there are just a few things I would like to see changed.

When using the arrow keys in the menu, on a TK-II it requires holding down CTRL because TK defaults to CTRL+Arrow sends. We went through something similar with the U1MB and Side Loader until FJC changed it to recognize arrows with or without the CTRL key pressed. Perhaps this can be implemented for the UNO menu as well???

Not sure if this is implemented (forgot to check it, but I will tomorrow), utilize TK-II's Page-Up (1200XL Shift+F1) and Page-Down (1200XL Shift+F2) keys to quickly step through long file lists.

Just wondering it we could get reverse basic function added to this modified OS. Not all bootable atr's are basic related and need the option key pressed. Much more since able to have option key for those few bootable floppies that require basic enabled.

I agree with what Roy is saying here.

- Michael

P.S. Great job Robin :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Michael,

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. It's good to know it's working well on NTSC machines, since I'd mainly tested on PAL.

What type of machine did you try it on? Did you try it on a U1MB fitted machine?

As far as the reversing the OPTION key behaviour goes, I'd like to leave it as is in the firmware - however I will ask flashjazzcat to do a version of the OS that inverts the behaviour, and you (& Roy) can place that on the SD card and it will override the built in OS version. One of us will post it on this thread shortly.

I'll take a look at the firmware in the next few days, and get it so it supports CTRL + arrows too (but you'll need to flash a new firmware for this).

Remember you can use ESC to quickly search the whole SD card - that's the best way to navigate to something on the card, assuming you know roughly what the filename is. It will match any part of the filename, not just from the start (though matches from the start will appear first in the results).

regards,

Robin

• Like 1

Michael,

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. It's good to know it's working well on NTSC machines, since I'd mainly tested on PAL.

What type of machine did you try it on? Did you try it on a U1MB fitted machine?

As far as the reversing the OPTION key behaviour goes, I'd like to leave it as is in the firmware - however I will ask flashjazzcat to do a version of the OS that inverts the behaviour, and you (& Roy) can place that on the SD card and it will override the built in OS version. One of us will post it on this thread shortly.

I'll take a look at the firmware in the next few days, and get it so it supports CTRL + arrows too (but you'll need to flash a new firmware for this).

Remember you can use ESC to quickly search the whole SD card - that's the best way to navigate to something on the card, assuming you know roughly what the filename is. It will match any part of the filename, not just from the start (though matches from the start will appear first in the results).

regards,

Robin

Yes the system I am testing on is both NTSC and has a U1MB installed with the latest firmware.

So will there be a way to update firmware on the UNO without the need for a programmer, using something like Uflash?

- Michael