IGNORED

Racing the Atari bus with a STM32F4 microcontroller

electrotrains

Hi Larry,

As it is, I've made a handful of them and sold them to people on this thread that have expressed interest in the project. Partly to recoup development costs (developing hardware is quite an expensive hobby) and partly for a bit of testing and feedback.

Since the response has been so positive, both myself and flashjazzcat are thinking about a bigger run in the future. When we're ready, we'll properly announce the project and start an orders thread. I didn't see any point doing this before we are ready - the demand for the Ultimate Cart in the early days left me feeling under pressure to build an impossibly large number of them, and those that wanted one frustrated by the time it took me to produce them.

But at the moment, this is more of a beta for those interested rather than for "general sale" if that makes sense.

Robin

• Like 2

Hi All,

I've posted a new version of the UnoCart firmware (v1.2) to the github site.

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart

Verson 1.2 adds support for CTRL+cursors keys to support external PS2 keyboard as requested, and also fixes a bug with large (>64k) XEX files.

You'll need an ST-Link dongle (example below) to reprogram the firmware (as described in the manual):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ST-Link-V2-Mini-Emulator-USB-Downloader-Programming-Unit-STM8-STM32-Debugger-/391173940927?hash=item5b13c8a6bf:g:3g8AAOSw~OdVf-Tu

I know that some of the people that I've sent UnoCarts to already have these dongles, but for those that don't, the dongles are available on ebay for as little as £2/$2 if you don't mind waiting for delivery from China or Hong Kong.

If you don't want to do that, I'll be happy to reprogram the firmware for you, if you post the cart back to me. However it's probably worth waiting until there is a "final" release of the firmware, since flashjazzcat and I may think about extending the ATR functionality.

Robin

• Like 2

However it's probably worth waiting until there is a "final" release of the firmware, since flashjazzcat and I may think about extending the ATR functionality.

Robin

So,

I wish there would be a firmware update for the Ultimate cart. to support ATR images as well...

• Like 1

So,

I wish there would be a firmware update for the Ultimate cart. to support ATR images as well...

The Ultimate Cart (and the UnoCart) are hobby projects. I designed them in my spare time for fun and to learn more electronics - if I can cover my development costs by selling a few boards then I'm happy. If I can contribute something to the Atari 8-bit scene then I'm happy too.

However, the Ultimate Cart does everything I originally wanted it to do i.e. emulate a wide range of cartridges from SD card. I also did a further firmware update to add the XEX loader because I thought I'd find that useful. But I don't have the inclination to add ATR functionality to the Ultimate Cart - it's too much work and I can't be bothered - I'd rather design something new.

Both projects are open source, so if you want to add more functionality, you can!

Robin

• Like 6

Hi electrotrains,

is it possible to allready get one (or two) cased uno cart's or did you stopped making batches? am i to late?

best regards

MaG2k

P.S.: is any one in this forum still making a batch of the Ultimate Cart here in Europe?

You'll need an ST-Link dongle (example below) to reprogram the firmware (as described in the manual):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ST-Link-V2-Mini-Emulator-USB-Downloader-Programming-Unit-STM8-STM32-Debugger-/391173940927?hash=item5b13c8a6bf:g:3g8AAOSw~OdVf-Tu

I know that some of the people that I've sent UnoCarts to already have these dongles, but for those that don't, the dongles are available on ebay for as little as £2/$2 if you don't mind waiting for delivery from China or Hong Kong.

I have received my ST-Link dongle. It comes with an USB-Stick with 10 connectors. The Uno Cart has 6+2 connectors and the cable has only 4 connectors on each side.

How do I have to connect the dongle and the uno cart for the update?

There is a description for the Uno Cart:

Pin 2 SWCLK

Pin 3 GND

Pin 4 SWDIO

And the 5V Pin of the other connector with two pins.

But where to connect to on the 10 pins of the USB ST2?

(And it seems, that I need extra male/male pins to connect the female connectors of the Uno Cart to the female connectors of the cable)

What program should be used?

I have received my ST-Link dongle. It comes with an USB-Stick with 10 connectors. The Uno Cart has 6+2 connectors and the cable has only 4 connectors on each side.

How do I have to connect the dongle and the uno cart for the update?

There is a description for the Uno Cart:

Pin 2 SWCLK

Pin 3 GND

Pin 4 SWDIO

And the 5V Pin of the other connector with two pins.

But where to connect to on the 10 pins of the USB ST2?

(And it seems, that I need extra male/male pins to connect the female connectors of the Uno Cart to the female connectors of the cable)

What program should be used?

I made a little adapter using some male/male and female headers I had in my parts box. I can send you one in the post if you don't have the bits to hand?

Alternatively, something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turned-Pin-Single-Row-Header-Plug-Connector-20-Way-/301641347618?hash=item463b39b222:g:W4YAAOSwl8NVXuwX

For programming, you need the ST-Link software:

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stsw-link004.html

Only 4 connections need to be made between the ST-Link dongle and the cartridge. The ST-Link should have a little diagram on it, indicating which pins are which.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 1

STLINK arrived in the mail today and I got the UNO-cart flashed with the new updated hex file.

Settings for the STLINK were a bitch, but the warning dialogues helped somewhat..

I got an STLINK coming. Any suggestions on doing the settings :?

- Michael

post-10165-0-46191400-1486778622_thumb.png

Screen capture of my St-Link. I had to upgrade before it would let me program the ST32 chip. Only round machine pins would fit into the UNO-cart, but the wiring was standard square. I had some of these so just held the wires a little south to make good contact. I split the row of Machine pins in two groups. One of 3 pin and the other of 2 pins. The two pins went to Voltage 5v and the other 3 pin I stuck into the UNO-cart at 2-3-4.

Some I have forgotten already.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I bought an Atari 2600 from ebay last year since I used to play with one at a friends house after school, and I fondly remembered the Combat cartridge and its many game variations.

Anyway, since I had some spare time over the last few evenings, I decided to it introduce it to my STM32F4 Discovery board....

The hardware and STM32F4 firmware was pretty trivial, but writing the 2600 side was extremely hard work!

Can't recommend this book enough:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Games-Atari-2600-Steven/dp/1541021304/

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 11

I got side-tracked by something ( :ponder:) and never did get around to reprogramming my UNO Cart with the latest firmware. Although I'm still a bit preoccupied by another project, but I do plan on getting back to this eventually.

- Michael

It crossed my mind that with a little adapter, and a new firmware that combined both the UnoCart stuff, and the new 2600 stuff - the UnoCart could auto-detect the hardware and be a dual purpose Atari 8-bit and 2600 SD-multicart! I've matched the address and data-bus connections on this new design, so is a real possibility.

But I think I'll work this up as a stand-alone 2600 cartridge PCB first...

Robin

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've created a github page for my Atari 2600 multicart project. It's now called the UnoCart-2600, since its basically an UnoCart for the 2600 ;-).

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart-2600

On the github page you'll find the firmware, source code, and rough building instructions for a DIY version using the STM32F407 Discovery board, in case anybody fancies building one. If you've already built a DIY UnoCart then its pretty much a case of changing the cartridge slot breakout board, reprogramming the firmware on the discovery board and you're done.

I've got a couple of spare 2600 cartridge breakout boards if anybody is interested in building.

I also designed a stand alone 2600 cartridge PCB, and they arrived in the post today (got the design in just before Chinese new year holiday). I soldered the bits on this afternoon, and it worked first time. Always a pleasant surprise!

post-41252-0-42547900-1517518579_thumb.jpg

Robin

• Like 11