IGNORED

Happy 810 resources

ebiguy

Maybe I will publish a detailed description how to modify a stock 810 if there is demand.

Any chance you'd publish a little more detailed instructions and some close-up pictures for the more electronically challenged here. I have a spare side board waiting to be Happy!

I spotted these in small collection on eBay.

1341225461_HappyBackupProgramv4.0.jpg.da6f144038084758b28552e0b52f9ea7.jpg1037713501_HappyWarpSpeedMenuv5.1.jpg.8b7755d4a9f2e81ecd1d6ac2bca4f7b3.jpg

Happy v4.0 & v5.1 which I believe are not currently archived.

v4.0 Side B (Slow & Diags according to the label) slows the drive on boot, but no menu/diags it seems.

v5.1 & v5.2 disk was in poor condition but I got there eventually.

Happy Backup Program v4.0.zip

Happy Warp Speed Menu v5.1.zip

Happy Warp Speed Menu v5.2.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, ijor said:

Anybody has the Happy 810 rev 5 software manual? I can find the later rev 7 manual, the happy 810 hardware installation manual, but this one seems to be missing, or at least I can't find it.

Thanks

Scanned my entire archive and I do not have any info - sorry.

4 hours ago, ijor said:

Anybody has the Happy 810 rev 5 software manual? I can find the later rev 7 manual, the happy 810 hardware installation manual, but this one seems to be missing, or at least I can't find it.

Thanks

I believe this is the manual for the Happy 5.? software

https://archive.org/details/Happy810EnhancementWarpSpeedSoftware

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill. I'd love to see even earlier documentation that describes the autospeed mod. Reading through this 5.x? document, I don't see a mention of it. I believe this feature was ditched to make way for the more useful fast/slow switch. I wrote about this in the past at some point...

33 minutes ago, BillC said:

I believe this is the manual for the Happy 5.? software

https://archive.org/details/Happy810EnhancementWarpSpeedSoftware

Thanks. For some reason googling couldn't find it. Unfortunately it seems to be for a rather early version. It doesn't seem to cover features that are present on Happy 5.2 and later. So still.

Anybody has a later Happy 5.2, or 5.3, software manual?

17 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Thanks Bill. I'd love to see even earlier documentation that describes the autospeed mod. Reading through this 5.x? document, I don't see a mention of it. I believe this feature was ditched to make way for the more useful fast/slow switch. I wrote about this in the past at some point...

I suspect it is the other way around, you want a later version of the document. Not the latest ver 7 manual that doesn't support the slower RPM mod, but a later 5.X document.

3 minutes ago, ijor said:

I suspect it is the other way around, you want a later version of the document. Not the latest ver 7 manual that doesn't support the slower RPM mod, but a later 5.X document.

Ah yes that would make sense... since the 7/7.1 documents mention removing the autospeed 810 mod...

I have ATR's for 810 5.0, 5.2, 5.3, 6.6

23 hours ago, ijor said:

Post#177 seems to indicate that speed adjustment was part of the Happy 4.0 software, a ZIP file with disk images attached.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, ijor said:

Not the latest ver 7 manual that doesn't support the slower RPM mod, but a later 5.X document.

Exactly.

The optional speed seems to have been introduced with v5.2.

I just tested in Altirra with Full Disk Emulation and the RPM diag of v5.1 does not yet support the optional speed.

Because v6 and v7 are targeted at Happy 1050 they do no longer support it.

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BillC said:

Post#177 seems to indicate that speed adjustment was part of the Happy 4.0 software, a ZIP file with disk images attached.

I think you are misinterpreting that post #177. Happy uses the term "slow down" to set Unhappy mode, which disables the track buffer among other things. Has nothing to do with the Autospeed mod.

2 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Because v6 and v7 are targeted at Happy 1050 they do no longer support it.

Minot clarification just for the record. V7 targets both the Happy 1050 and the Happy 810. But the Happy 810 must be upgraded with the rev 7 firmware, and it doesn't support the Autospeed mod.

V6 is for the 1050 only.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

It may have been mentioned before, but the Internet Archive has several Happy docs and flyers available for download.  I typed in "Atari Happy".  I didn't find any disk images, though.

https://archive.org/

Yes, there are about a dozen Happy documents and flyers, but there is no V5.2, or V5.3 software manual. As Nezgar is saying, we are missing any documentation about the Autospeed mod, which is supported on those versions only. Conceivable there was no full manual for those versions but perhaps some kind of addendum.

Disk images are less of a problem. Most are already available here. But if you have any to contribute, please do it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, Horry said:

The ROM image that I posted is 4kB in size. The ROM that's compatible with Happy7 SW does bankswitching and has two bank of 3kB, giving a total of 6kB. You will need at least an 8kB EPROM (2764) and some logic to do the bankswitching (it is performed via 1FF8/1FF9 ROM address read).

Within the last days, I took the time to modify both of my Happy 810 disk drives to be compatible with Happy v7.x software. I used the ROM shared by AtariGeezer in post http://atariage.com/forums/topic/257578-happy-810-resources/?p=3622941. Once again thank you very much for sharing, AtariGeezer!

This is what I did:

- Remove both TTL ICs (74LS00 and 74LS32), that do the address decoding.

- Rebuild the address decoding circuit in ABEL and program it into a GAL. Worked!

- Extend the code of the GAL to do the bankswitching.

The GAL type is GAL22v10B. The signals RAM_CS1 and RAM_CS2 are compatible with the "old" 810 Happy design incorporating 2x 6116 2kx8 SRAM devices. The signal RAM_CS is used to drive a 6264 8kx8 SRAM instead.

Both drives are now fully compatible with the Happy 7 Software and should behave exactly like the ones that have a Happy 810 Upgrade PCBA installed.

Both drives fully pass the Happy 7 diagnostic test - incl. ROM test.

Atari 810 Happy Homebuild v7.10 Diagnostics

They even work together with 2 1050 Happy drives in Happy multi drive copy mode (the 1050 on the right is a 1050 Mega Speedy set to Happy emulation mode):

Atari 810 Happy homebuilt v7 multi drive (2x 810 Happy Drive + 2x 1050 Happy Drive)

Attached is the GAL .jed file as well as the GAL logic (ABEL schematics for LATTICE ispLEVER Classic).

GAL ABEL Schematics

This how you have to wire the GAL to the solder side of the CPU:

6507 GAL Happy 810

Here are some pictures of the mod:

Happy 810 Enhancement v7 homebuild 001

Happy 810 Enhancement v7 homebuild 002

Happy 810 Enhancement v7 homebuild 003

Happy 810 Enhancement v7 homebuild 004

Maybe I will publish a detailed description how to modify a stock 810 if there is demand.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Horry

happy_810_v7.zip 4.98 kB · 78 downloads

If you program atarigeezers rom and piggyback the gal with your jed does it work in an original happy board?