IGNORED

SoulStar, interest and pricing poll.

neo_rg

SoulStar. Interest & pricing poll.  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

These needs to go into my collection. A lot of the JagCD games kind of feel to me like the current VR scene, where there are a lot of unrealized potential. This looks like the sort of game with the potential to fulfill the power the JagCD had.

The JagCD has no power other than reading games off CD. It is no more powerful than the Jaguar with a cart, it only allows more storage space.

• Like 2

The JagCD has no power other than reading games off CD. It is no more powerful than the Jaguar with a cart, it only allows more storage space.

More storage space, but less instant access (as you lose the 4mb of ROM you can store assets in). It really was a badly designed toilet.

• Like 3

I knoe that... one of the huge shortcommings of the Jag was always storage. Granted one could say the JagCD came out at a time when consoles were only barely breaking away from the tendency to have the CD filled with pointless FMV. But having more maps and textures for AvP for example would have been awesome!

More storage space, but less instant access (as you lose the 4mb of ROM you can store assets in). It really was a badly designed toilet.

I really wonder about the reasoning here. I mean sure they probably wanted to keep costs down but what a missed opportunity. If the add on is released this late (and they were already trying to compete with the newer systems with the request for more textures etc.) and if they release it anyway - nevermind the low number that is circulating about 20 000 units- why not give it some extras to increase the performance?

Seems odd they didn`t just cancel it too in hindsight. I am very glad to own one and it works to this day but it never stops to amaze me how little thought through it seems to be.

Probably said this a thousands times already but I could not believe at first when I heard the story that at first they did not even knew how to do the lid section of the unit. And for the first dev units they just had a magnet holding the cd in place because all they had was the idea that the cdrom sits on top of they jag. Now it seems that there wasn`t really anything about this unit really thought through, just that they wanted to have CD playing on the Jag too.

But in the end it doesn`t really matter when I think how much good time I had with the VLM ;-)

Edit: Not too be completley off-topic: Can`t wait for the glitchfree version of Soulstar still. ;)

Edited by PeterG

Seriously! The VLM was what I used on an almost daily basis up until the laser died, in which case I found one on eBay for 10 dollars shipped from China. Replaced that and it's worked fine since. Though the little clip that held the lid down snapped as well, so got a new one from Best Electronics.

Do we have any updates on the fixed Soulstar?

Not sure how people feel about having an overlay for the jag pad, the game makes use of it for the secondary weapons. I'd like to include it but have it as close as possible to the original ones, glossy print and slightly raised in a bobble over the numbers... Thoughts?

• Like 3