IGNORED

SoulStar, interest and pricing poll.

neo_rg

SoulStar. Interest & pricing poll.  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, steve-vx said:

Maybe someone wants to finish it and his will is stronger than actual capabilities.

As has been said multiple times the code is fixed and finished and the broken levels fixed, the videos need cleaning up and a way to release it without getting sued into oblivion by Square needs to be found.

We've even posted videos of all the levels working and I've also made a 6mb rom version without cut scenes or cd audio which has been shown.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

As has been said multiple times the code is fixed and finished and the broken levels fixed, the videos need cleaning up and a way to release it without getting sued into oblivion by Square needs to be found.

We've even posted videos of all the levels working and I've also made a 6mb rom version without cut scenes or cd audio which has been shown.

So, the videos are the least of the problems but avoiding getting sued by Square Enix to release it is the main culprit... Oh well. :(

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Ha, if you ask about SoulStar they will probably say no, because they are working on a reboot...

So if the info above from Zerosquare is right then Reboot is the team working on this. There is an eventual plan to release this for sale on possibly a cart or CD at some point? Sounds like it can possibly run on a cart just not with the "sweet" cutscenes or CD quality music. Otherwise a CD version may be in the works?

Soulstar is my fave Sega CD game and I'd be down as all he'll for a Jaguar version!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

So if the info above from Zerosquare is right then Reboot is the team working on this. There is an eventual plan to release this for sale on possibly a cart or CD at some point? Sounds like it can possibly run on a cart just not with the "sweet" cutscenes or CD quality music. Otherwise a CD version may be in the works?

Soulstar is my fave Sega CD game and I'd be down as all he'll for a Jaguar version!

Me too so I can do a video and compare the two. If maybe this can be sold, I say safely like in person or something, not online? Or I don't know really.

2 hours ago, steve-vx said:

I didn´t know that this game is now in the hands of CJ. However, is there any way to playtest the current version, even without FMV or CD sound?

No, because as soon as we did that someone would put it on ebay, just like other things...   Hyperforce?  Kong Demo?  An obviously dumped and re-sold Wormhole?

image.thumb.png.bff7d77309869e38b18f30c8e0247e39.png

^^ One of many reasons for "Why we can't have nice things".

Have to report several of these each month, its ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Indeed, what a f*. I am expecting my GD this week. But why would I want to sell any games from my complete Jag collection incl. originally purchased Phobx, Orion, Reboot or Songbird releases? The GD will sit in my second Jag and saves cart swapping, the CD-firmware update will help keeping my CD drive/Jag-combo alive that wasn't separated since 1997. But why would any enthusiast (and who else is playing the Jag today) sell anything that was well kept for almost 30 years? I dont know about Kong, but the Wormhole cart from a distance looks like the one I bought from Alexander himself by the way. Same goes for Spacewars and Phase Zero which I bought from either Carl or MyAtari (don´t remember).

Indeed, and even when the auctions get nuked, they just move on to the next selling place - In this case FarceBork. It's like whack-a-mole with these... I use the term with trepidation... "people"

image.png.0f57646c54a5562613327411a5f04079.png

Good job Wormhole was numbered, maybe Phoboz can prevent sales to this individual in the future.

*sigh*

• Sad 3

On 4/7/2021 at 4:06 AM, CyranoJ said:

No, because as soon as we did that someone would put it on ebay, just like other things...   Hyperforce?  Kong Demo?  An obviously dumped and re-sold Wormhole?

image.thumb.png.bff7d77309869e38b18f30c8e0247e39.png

^^ One of many reasons for "Why we can't have nice things".

Have to report several of these each month, its ridiculous.

I saw this pic posted on facebook on someones post asking about repros, I posted suggesting getting a skunk or gamedrive and then this guy offered selling these and I was like omg here we go with these illegal copies of homebrews people spent hard work creating. It's people like this that make it to where we cant have nice things ? 

• Sad 1

Reselling homebrews (and original games) after getting a GD is sad but to be expected and technically there is not much we can do, except when the seller is stupid enough to mention it... (and even proposing pirate "services"... geez).

Now that makes me wonder, if homebrews ROM are already available, maybe it's time that we, homebrew developers, start considering selling legit ROM, on itch or elsewhere. I might be a bit naive but people who don't want to spend 70+ us$ on a physical version, might be able on the other hand to spent 15us$ on a ROM to reward the authors.

10 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Reselling homebrews (and original games) after getting a GD is sad but to be expected and technically there is not much we can do, except when the seller is stupid enough to mention it... (and even proposing pirate "services"... geez).

Now that makes me wonder, if homebrews ROM are already available, maybe it's time that we, homebrew developers, start considering selling legit ROM, on itch or elsewhere. I might be a bit naive but people who don't want to spend 70+ us$ on a physical version, might be able on the other hand to spent 15us$ on a ROM to reward the authors.

Here are my thoughts on selling ROMs.  Please don't use the limited time window downloads.  I freaking hate those.  Too many times I have had data loss / corruption and lost stuff that way. 

Otherwise tying it to a particular JagGD is doable.  The thing that I find weirdest about the Jaguar is that all other home brew systems have had various carts for putting libraries of games on, why on earth is there such a high level of asshatery surrounding the Jaguar?  I haven't ever seen people making reproduction carts of other people's work for say the Genesis...  maybe I haven't looked enough.  It seems like the Jag does pull in more jerks than other consoles, I just don't understand why...

• Like 1

@LordKraken: Orion is doing just that:

nd I will be a proud buyer of the Roms even though I own the official cart versions. How can I spend money better than on supporting people who support me in providing fun games?

Any creative soul knows the feeling when sales (aka appreciation) occur, and if only one a day.

A

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leech said:

The thing that I find weirdest about the Jaguar is that all other home brew systems have had various carts for putting libraries of games on, why on earth is there such a high level of asshatery surrounding the Jaguar?  I haven't ever seen people making reproduction carts of other people's work for say the Genesis...  maybe I haven't looked enough.

I think the Jaguar community is a lot more tight knit and everyone knows everyone, so it’s a lot more personal. Also a lot of developers are less self-assured about defending their work from theft than the leading Jaguar developers.

There’s a guy in France who sells copies of all of the Lynx homebrew (except for, naturally, the ones that are actually impossible to get legitimately) and the Lynx community always complains about him, but hasn’t let that stop them from sharing ROMs far and wide. In fact, it often seems that the Lynx development community is determined to drown him with quantity :D 

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I think the Jaguar community is a lot more tight knit and everyone knows everyone, so it’s a lot more personal. Also a lot of developers are less self-assured about defending their work from theft than the leading Jaguar developers.

There’s a guy in France who sells copies of all of the Lynx homebrew (except for, naturally, the ones that are actually impossible to get legitimately) and the Lynx community always complains about him, but hasn’t let that stop them from sharing ROMs far and wide. In fact, it often seems that the Lynx development community is determined to drown him with quantity :D 

With easily 1500+ sales/orders/waiting orders for JaguarGD carts, and, what is it now?, 5 revisions of skunkboards ... the only people I can see legitimately having any complaints with the practice of locking to GD/Skunk are the scumbags reselling copies of homebrew on ebay.

Sure, it locks out emulation, but I guess thats a very small minority of the fans and more likely a large number of 'casuals' who would only give them a passing glance anyway and move on to the next shiny thing.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

With easily 1500+ sales/orders/waiting orders for JaguarGD carts, and, what is it now?, 5 revisions of skunkboards ... the only people I can see legitimately having any complaints with the practice of locking to GD/Skunk are the scumbags reselling copies of homebrew on ebay.

Sure, it locks out emulation, but I guess thats a very small minority of the fans and more likely a large number of 'casuals' who would only give them a passing glance anyway and move on to the next shiny thing.

Yeah, I find myself highly unlikely to even play a game via emulation, as I have so many to choose from, and I prefer 'playing it as it was meant to be' on real hardware, with real controllers.

Jag emulation isn't the greatest anyhow. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...