IGNORED

MSX 1 Help: Bad/Glitch Video Signal

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Philips VG8020/00 MSX Home Computer. I'm having some trouble getting a decent video signal out of the thing. When I hook it up to my VCR/DVD Combo via the RF out and convert the signal into composite, I get a glitchy screen, jumping from left to right, going from color to black and white. However, the MSX boot up text is present, and when I press keys on the keyboard, they do get added to the screen.
post-40137-0-93157000-1475581946_thumb.jpg post-40137-0-95507600-1475581952_thumb.jpg post-40137-0-90129200-1475581958_thumb.jpg post-40137-0-94625900-1475581964_thumb.jpg post-40137-0-35905200-1475581972_thumb.jpg
I used the automatic tuning options on my VCR/DVD combo, but it sadly does not improve the quality. I also tried connecting a Sega Mega Drive RGB connector to the Monitor out on the computer, but that didn't do anything apart from making some pop noises. I might have to get a different cable to test that out. I also know for sure that my set-up isn't the problem; I've connected other coaxial game-consoles the same way (Atari 2600, Videopac G7000) and they all work.

The unit looks fine and all (no mayor external damage). What I did notice though, was some noises inside the machine when I held it sideways; there could be some dirt in there. Also, some buttons get stuck from time to time (especially the directional buttons). I'll open it up and give it a good clean one of these days.

Has anyone here experienced similar problems and got them solved? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I hope the damage (if it has any) is not to severe; would be awesome to get it up and running again!

Thanks! :)

Edited by artcloud

The monitor connector only contains composite video, not RGB. If you have got a cable made for Commodore, Atari etc you will get a B&W image. A cable made for Mega Drive etc will feed 5V into the video input on your TV, which is not what you desire. You could make a special cable for the MSX that uses pins 2 (ground), 3 (audio), 5.(composite video).

http://www.faq.msxnet.org/connector.html#monphil