IGNORED

Ah finally I got myself a mini Speedy

Marius

Great!

By accident I saw in the Rewindgames.com shop 2 1050's with a Speedy installed. I purchased them both.

What a nice and fast upgrade.

I usually stick with stock equipment, but altough I already had a Happy 1050, I did not have the speedy yet.

This is a nice and fast add-on.

@Fred_M thanks for the fast handling. It was a pleasure!

• Like 1

Hi Marius-

I've seen some German docs about the Mini Speedy and the Compy Shop docs for the Speedy 1050, but never saw a picture of the Mini Speedy board. Any chance you could post one? What is the difference between the Mini Speedy and the original Speedy drives? (anyone)

-Larry

Well,

the mini-Speedy has approx. half the size of a normal Speedy. It has Bibo-DOS and High-Speed-Sectorcopy built-in (switchable), but therefore it does not have any space for a track display. Since I never needed the track display (and since I am no hacker/cracker), its more than enough for me.

You can use all Speedy software with the mini-Speedy and thanks to some software named "Turbo Emulator" (which only works with Speedy drives) you can also convert it into a Turbo 1050 and then use all Turbo 1050 software.

There are several sectorcopy programs which read and write with ultraspeed on a Speedy drive and also format a diskette while the source drive is still reading (e.g. Copy 2000, Sectorcopy 1.5 and many others).

Here is a picture of it:

post-3782-0-35767800-1475699588_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

lucky bugger. I have mine ... I have yet to install it. The cutting out of the faceplate and some of the horror stories of it not working etc.. are giving me pause.

But I will get to it.

James

I was not talking about MEGA speedy. I was talking about the MINI speedy. There is even a picture in this thread above this post. It's a really nice little pcb inside my 1050, and it works just excellent.

It was simply a lucky find on http://www.rewindgames.com

Nice atari shop in NL, has some great items.

Well,

the mini-Speedy has approx. half the size of a normal Speedy. It has Bibo-DOS and High-Speed-Sectorcopy built-in (switchable), but therefore it does not have any space for a track display. Since I never needed the track display (and since I am no hacker/cracker), its more than enough for me.

You can use all Speedy software with the mini-Speedy and thanks to some software named "Turbo Emulator" (which only works with Speedy drives) you can also convert it into a Turbo 1050 and then use all Turbo 1050 software.

There are several sectorcopy programs which read and write with ultraspeed on a Speedy drive and also format a diskette while the source drive is still reading (e.g. Copy 2000, Sectorcopy 1.5 and many others).

Here is a picture of it:

attachicon.gifSPED1050.JPG

Interesting!!!!

Can you tell me more about that built in Sector Copy. How do I get that? I think I have to add a switch, but do you know where? When I boot the 1050 with the Speedy without disk I get the BIBO DOS.

Yes,

you have to install a switch. Behind the Eprom shown on the picture above, you will find two spots (holes) where you can install the switch (or better the cable for the switch). A friend did it for me like this: He installed the switch and switched to the Sectorcopy program, then he removed the switch again. Whenever I boot the drive without a disk now, I always get the highspeed Sectorcopy program... (I do not use Bibo-DOS).

Alas, there are some 1050 drives (mechanics), where the highspeed Sectorcopy program does not work, think I already had one or two 1050 drives with that case. But Copy 2000 and other Speedy programs worked fine, so it was not a big thing for me. Afaik, mega-hz also has an Eprom image for the mini-Speedy with a built-in Copy 2000 available...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well,

Here is a picture of it:

attachicon.gifSPED1050.JPG

There is some info missing still: The Mini Speedy was available in 3 versions. Speedy 'S' = High Speed Sector Copy in ROM, 'D' = BiboDOS in ROM, "DS" = BiboDOS and HSS Copier in ROM. So if it is a "DS" as on the pic above a switch helps to choose between DOS and HSS Copier.

Alas, there are some 1050 drives (mechanics), where the highspeed Sectorcopy program does not work, think I already had one or two 1050 drives with that case. But Copy 2000 and other Speedy programs worked fine, so it was not a big thing for me. Afaik, mega-hz also has an Eprom image for the mini-Speedy with a built-in Copy 2000 available...

And, Compy Shop stated in the user guide that there are some 1050 not working with a Mini Speedy because of component tolerances in electronic parts and offered a service to check and fix it.

HSS Copy can R/W with up to ca. 95,000 baud when the drive is in perfect shape. To exit HSS Copy press SHIFT-CONTROL-TAB together. Some other Compy Shop hard-/software reacts on pressing START-SELECT-OPTION together. In both cases a cold start will be executed.

• Like 2

Hey Marius,

You have two speedy's. One D version and one DS version. Probably the DS version is the drive with two switches. I assumed the second switch was write-protect, but maybe that switch is the bibodos/sectorcopy switch?

post-6711-0-05274200-1475862383_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-36190500-1475862393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fred_M

Oh Marius,

You told me you are very interested in the XF-speedy. Here is a picture of it. I am still very happy with my speedy XF. I still use it to load and copy software, my 1050 with happy is sitting on the shelf ;) . This speedy has Bibodos, Copy 2000 and two configuration programs in ROM :)

post-6711-0-79241200-1475863516_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-53427100-1475863529_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Oh Marius,

You told me you are very interested in the XF-speedy. Here is a picture of it. I am still very happy with my speedy XF. I still use it to load and copy software, my 1050 with happy is sitting on the shelf ;) . This speedy has Bibodos, Copy 2000 and two configuration programs in ROM :)

Oh... my ...

that is indeed something I am looking for, for a very long time.

A speedy XF is really something that everybody wants! Arg.... and you have it.

I also bought a 1050 Speedy diskdrive from Rewindgames. But when i boot without a floppy inside, nothing happens, except for BOOT ERROR on the tv-screen..... so, i always tought that the mini-speedy inside the 1050 did not have Bibodos / copier inside.

When i work with my Atari bit again (next week), i will look at the speedy upgrade closely. Would be nice to have Bibodos or the high speed copier inside the rom....

LOL! He has my address :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

Hey Marius, did you check that second switch of the drive with two switches?

Lol no, since I remove the PCB and built it in my favorite 1050. I have a 1050 with two switches on the front which let me toggle the Drive number (this is really the best mod possible for a diskdrive), and since I use this feature a lot I wanted the pcb in that diskdrive.

I found the speedy documentation on the internet and the slow-speedy switch has to be done in the diskdrive itself (not on the pcb) so I used the switch from that drive for that. So I have to buy another switch to make that BiboDos / Sector copy thing switch.

When I have done that, I'll let you know.

So at this moment I have a speedy 1050 with drive selector switches and a speedy/slow switch on the front side.

It works amazingly well.

I also bought a 1050 Speedy diskdrive from Rewindgames. But when i boot without a floppy inside, nothing happens, except for BOOT ERROR on the tv-screen..... so, i always tought that the mini-speedy inside the 1050 did not have Bibodos / copier inside.

When i work with my Atari bit again (next week), i will look at the speedy upgrade closely. Would be nice to have Bibodos or the high speed copier inside the rom....

There is a chance that the diskdrive is not modded right. One of the two drives I received was 100% original, but had the speedy PCB inside. This one did not work without errors. I read in the documentation that you have to remove 4 capacitors on the 1050 PCB. When I did that everything worked without error.

Perhaps that is the case in your 1050 too.

I'll attach the documentation here... read it, and you know what to do.

• Like 1

Lol no, since I remove the PCB and built it in my favorite 1050.

So you bought two disk-drives with speedy's only for the pcb's? Mmmm, why didn't you just bought the megaspeedy from Abbuc?

When I tested both drives they worked just fine. Okay.... I loaded a few disks and formatted a few disks.

@Stormtrooper, when I tested the drives of Marius I could boot the drives without a disk but Bibodos only appeared when I booted with the OPTION key pressed. Plus I sold many drives from the old ANG stock. I remember there were different kinds of speedy's built in the drives. It is possible that you don't have a mini-speedy but an older version?

@fm

Not just for the pcbs! The drive from you is already in use as a stock drive. The other one is a spare. I did not have the original speedy in my collection. The mega speedy would not fill that gap :)

The problem with the other drive: it can differ per atari and chain. The manual told me to remove the capacitors. That was not done in the drive with the errors. Now it works excellent!

Hello guys

The Speedy-XF has one quirk: If it works in your drive, leave it in. Taking it out and installing it again, even in the same drive, might result in de Speedy-XF not working.

Sincerely

Mathy (who's wanted a Speedy-XF since he first heard of it and will buy one as soon as somebody makes a new production run/version of it. Even if he has to buy an extra XF for it)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't logged in on AtariAge for a very long time. Reason is in July 2015 some troll (username wood_jl) thought it necessary to derail a thread I started, in which I mentioned the 30th anniversary of the A8's successor (the Amiga), into a flamewar. BTW, it's this thread:

http://atariage.com/...birthday-amiga/

Seeing it all happen I decided not to reply, but instead pack my bags and leave AtariAge alltogether. I have only been back here one time since then. Until now, that is...

OK, now let's get back on topic.

After the release of the Mega Speedy 1050, this info is probably moot. Nonetheless for the homebrewers amongst us, here is the Mini Speedy PCB layout. Both solder and component side. From the photos in post #10 you can probably figure out which photo is which side.

post-9683-0-19703600-1476720256_thumb.jpg post-9683-0-38006100-1476720266_thumb.jpg

Firmware is available for download @ http://www.mega-hz.de/ATARI/ATARI%208Bit/Hardware/Speedy1050/Mini%20Speedy/mini-speedy.htm
Lots of info about the other Speedy versions there as well.

re-atari

• Like 2

Hi,

I create a new version of the Mini-Speedy 1050 for the ABBUC. The new PCB - only 5 x 5 cm in size - will be offered in the ABBUC shop in about 2 weeks. Here´s a picture of the new version:

post-15670-0-03916300-1476732842_thumb.jpg

It´s equipped with a 27256 EPROM. Without changing anything, the built-in HSS copier is booted with open disc lever at power-on, when the both pads "OS" are tied together (using a switch etc.), then the ROM-version of BiboDOS 6.4 is loaded from the Mini-Speed´s internal memory.

No solder work required. Just removal of two chips, place the Mini-Speedy 1050 in the CPU socket und removal of four caps. That´s all.

Jurgen

• Like 2

Hi,

I create a new version of the Mini-Speedy 1050 for the ABBUC. The new PCB - only 5 x 5 cm in size - will be offered in the ABBUC shop in about 2 weeks. Here´s a picture of the new version:

attachicon.gifMini_Speedy_1050_DS_2016.jpg

It´s equipped with a 27256 EPROM. Without changing anything, the built-in HSS copier is booted with open disc lever at power-on, when the both pads "OS" are tied together (using a switch etc.), then the ROM-version of BiboDOS 6.4 is loaded from the Mini-Speed´s internal memory.

No solder work required. Just removal of two chips, place the Mini-Speedy 1050 in the CPU socket und removal of four caps. That´s all.

Jurgen

Hi Jürgen,

That is fabulous... for me personally I find it a pity that you did chose for a SMD part, now I will not be able to repair it myself in case of an issue.

What would it cost to make that pcb with a normal socket for a DIP package TTL?

Even without that it is amazing, and I probably buy a few. This is just the upgrade I want for my 1050. MegaSpeedy is way too much for my needs.

thanks

Marius

That is fabulous... for me personally I find it a pity that you did chose for a SMD part, now I will not be able to repair it myself in case of an issue.

Even without that it is amazing, and I probably buy a few. This is just the upgrade I want for my 1050. MegaSpeedy is way too much for my needs.

Hi Marius,

Only the trackbuffer SRAM (8 KByte, mostly now used 32 KByte, because easier to get) and the TTL logic chIp (fits under the EPROM socket) are SMD parts. I never had defects with such simple parts in the last years. Main reason to use these both parts in SMD is to fit the PCB in 5x5 cm. Cheap, simple to assemble and - look at my picture - the left part could be "hold" by the blue trim pot, so the PCB is very fast and strong mounted.

Jurgen

Hi Jürgen,

thanks

Marius

Well,

the older non-SMD mini-Speedy version was (is still?) also available from Abbuc Floppypdoc Erhard Puetz. Bought four mini-Speedys from him in the last years...

Edited by CharlieChaplin