IGNORED

My Super Denise arrived today.

Sinphaltimus

That is a real shame... :/ I used to really trust the post office, but I've had so many things damaged this year (even WITH packing and proper marking) I don't like to use them for anything of value anymore.

Our local PO has gotten in a lot of new faces, I believe that being newbies, they don't know how to handle things, place things(lost mail), notify people(give a final notice 3 months after a package has come in, without giving a first notice).... you get the picture.

I'm guessing it got caught up in a mail sorting machine. The plastic case around the chip looks eaten away by a lot of force.

I put in a refund request on ebay for damaged delivery.

What hurts most is I ordered an Amiga to vga adaptor that took weeks to get to me only to find out I need the super Denise for it to work. I got it on ebay and waited a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

So now I have to get my refund and find another chip to order.

Why would an Amiga to VGA adapter require a super Denise... what's different about the output video?

It doesn't, unless you want to directly make use of the 31khz productivity Workbench modes - NOT games, which are typically 15khz of course. Otherwise, about the only thing I've ever found the VGA adapters of use for is if you happen to have a true Multisync monitor that only has a VGA cord on it. But you know some people throughout the years, bought the Commodore or some other passive VGA adapter, thinking all screen modes should_just_work - nope, sorry!

http://amiga.lychesis.net/knowledge/ScreenModes.html

And wow, can't believe USPS ruined an I.C. like that!! Machine "sorter" or not, WTF?! Retool or reconfigure your machines so this shit doesn't happen - talk about a safety issue! In any event, that's total unnecessary bullshit being so harsh with mail, packages, etc. Getting to a point where you can't trust anyone to handle anything appropriately anymore. May as well insure just about everything you send these days! :mad:

I have two very old multisync monitors and neither will drop to 15kz. Not worried about games at the moment, just want to get workbench on a vga screen.

I've read someplace that the 15khz issue on new monitors goes away if you drop an hdmi adaptor on the vga. I'm going to try that when I think I might need to.

The 31KHz VGA signal on Amiga is very slow, you probably not going to like it, it feels sluggish.

Understood. My current Amiga needs are very low but having it on VGA is a must. At the present time, I'm only running MED. And that's really all I need it for. Hopeful I'll get my hands on a Vampire II sometime next year and start developing on/for the newly expanded A500.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've gotten one of those "We Care" baggies too. I bought some replacement drive belts for my MSX and the seller sent it in an envelope. Somewhere along the line the package got snagged in something and the belts were ripped out. I really couldn't blame the Post Office, and the seller sent me a new one for free. This time sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard...