IGNORED

IntyBASIC Music program - new music

Zendocon

Cool music! Always amazing how people with music talent can get the better of a music player.

Btw, aren't you the author of Robots and Same Game?

Yes. I'm also working on getting FUBAR finished finally! There are about 5 other projects I wanted to tackle as well.

• Like 1

Alternating between the built-in instruments to get different envelopes and character really adds a lot to the music.

Yeah. I had to do that to try to make it sound like the NES original. That one channel always seemed to have two different instruments playing on alternating beats. Atari 2600 Pitfall II used a similar technique to achieve what sounded like two percussion instruments (that and the cart had an extra sound chip).

The one thing I wish I had done differently was use the bass channel in conjunction with the drum beat to make it sound more percussive. I would have had to double the tempo to get it just right though, so I skipped it.

Excellent news! Any hints on those other projects? :)

There's another game that's going to be bundled with Blix, just like when I added Robots to SameGame. Another idea is to take the engine for both SameGame and Robots and make new games out of them. I've also got another 4-player game I started in 2009 and haven't finished, plus another 2-in-1 game idea.

• Like 1

There's another game that's going to be bundled with Blix, just like when I added Robots to SameGame. Another idea is to take the engine for both SameGame and Robots and make new games out of them. I've also got another 4-player game I started in 2009 and haven't finished, plus another 2-in-1 game idea.

Cool. So would this be a revised version of Blix, with some updates and bug fixes? I really like Robots, it's lots of fun.

Can't wait to see the other games you're working on. ??

• Like 1

Cool. So would this be a revised version of Blix, with some updates and bug fixes? I really like Robots, it's lots of fun.

Can't wait to see the other games you're working on.

There wasn't really much else I was going to add to Blix save for a transition effect when clearing shapes. The one "bug" happened when somebody decided to produce Blix carts and didn't bother to read the memory map. The result was that the music didn't make it onto the carts, and the music engine is reading garbage data. Fortunately, you can turn that off my moving the disc to the East position. I had written code to use the disc to adjust the music volume.

If you liked Robots, you'll probably like the game that's going to be added to Blix, and you'll probably like the Robots sequel as well.

The one "bug" happened when somebody decided to produce Blix carts and didn't bother to read the memory map. The result was that the music didn't make it onto the carts, and the music engine is reading garbage data.

Where were you 2 years ago. ;)

It's not that I didn't bother... somehow I messed it up... I did some testing today... I have one board remaining from this first batch of Blix PCBs - it was one that someone returned to me that didn't work - I replaced it - the board doesn't work in an Intellivision anymore, but I was able to read the data. I read the data from it, and for some reason, I failed to move the data to the $Dxxx and $Fxxx areas (all the data is at $5xxx, $6xxx, $7xxx, $8xxx instead of at $5xxx, $6xxx, $Dxxx, $Fxxx, and $Dxxx and $Fxxx is filled with $FFFFs).

If anyone wants me to fix their Blix cart so it works as intended, let me know.

• Like 1

There wasn't really much else I was going to add to Blix save for a transition effect when clearing shapes. The one "bug" happened when somebody decided to produce Blix carts and didn't bother to read the memory map. The result was that the music didn't make it onto the carts, and the music engine is reading garbage data. Fortunately, you can turn that off my moving the disc to the East position. I had written code to use the disc to adjust the music volume.

If you liked Robots, you'll probably like the game that's going to be added to Blix, and you'll probably like the Robots sequel as well.

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing/hearing more about these releases.

Where were you 2 years ago. ;)

It's not that I didn't bother... somehow I messed it up... I did some testing today... I have one board remaining from this first batch of Blix PCBs - it was one that someone returned to me that didn't work - I replaced it - the board doesn't work in an Intellivision anymore, but I was able to read the data. I read the data from it, and for some reason, I failed to move the data to the $Dxxx and $Fxxx areas (all the data is at $5xxx, $6xxx, $7xxx, $8xxx instead of at $5xxx, $6xxx, $Dxxx, $Fxxx, and $Dxxx and $Fxxx is filled with $FFFFs).

If anyone wants me to fix their Blix cart so it works as intended, let me know.

So this would fix the music issue? Nice.

• 1 year later...

I just received Programming Games With Intellivision and its a pretty cool book... after seeing the music capability with INTYBasic, I stopped reading and attempted to convert music from the Apple II into IntyBasic format... I just started so it has a long ways to go... here's a disk image that should work in emulators... https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcu4rbwy8una19d/WBOY.rom?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/3h9dx8jopdps0me/BTHEME.rom?dl=0 The main problem going forward is my music is in compressed non-tracker type format, and IntyBasic required the note to keep being sustained... so the logic for that is incomplete.. at the moment.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...