IGNORED

The End. (new homebrew game)

JJJJJS

I thought a few of you guys might be interested in our new homebrew game which will be at PRGE this year.

The End is an all new Atari 2600 game from us at Lost Classics which will be available at this year's Portland Retro Gaming Expo. The End is a Robotron like game and requires the use of the one of a kind Lost Classics controller (which comes with the game). This game is one of a kind and only one copy will be produced due to it requiring the specialty built controller. The game and controller will be available at the PRGE auction on October 22nd. We're crazy busy prepping for the show but I'm going to try to find the time to get some video of the game in action this weekend.

14611032_1129468317130608_12899759934050

• Like 2

One question I have (and maybe this will be answered by the video) is how is the controller different from using two standard joysticks or something like one of the Edladdin two-stick controllers?

Exactly! I have an Edladdin Twin-Stick and am always looking for more games for it. :)

• Like 2

Here's a short video. Sorry about the disappearing graphics, youtube compression strikes again!

This *should* work with the Edladdin twin stick controllers. The controller has the same functionality as 2 CX40 sticks so it will work for any CX40 compatible game.

And yes, it is crazy to make an entirely new game and then only make one copy...sometimes my eccentricity gets the best of me.

• Like 1

Sounds more like a ploy to artificially inflate the value to me.

This. Making something that nobody can play, and then posting on atariage saying "you can get this if you go to one specific place at one specific time and outbid all of your peers" really seems like a jerk kind of move. If the auction is for charity, then MAYBE I can understand, but if it's not, then frankly, this is just a way to pay the author an exceptional amount of money while screwing over everyone else.

This reminds me of another thread along time back, where somebody made a copy of StarCastle and then said "hey, you can buy it for an obscene amount of money". Such threads beg a lot of questions. What's going to happen to the ROM? Can the buyer, having the only copy, make copies of their own and sell it? Are they allowed to distribute the ROM? Does the money go to charity, or to the author's pocket? Will the ROM ever be distributed by the developer (my guess is no; otherwise, the auction price won't inflate to a high enough amount)?

These sorts of things frustrate me quite a bit. It's very hard for me to appreciate what you're doing, when it kind of screws over so many people.

-John

• Like 8

It looks like SeizureTron anyways Propane13.

The sound effects are minimal. And the gameplay looks boring. I am sure some "collector/idoit" will pay well for this.

Saying negative things about it does nothing bad for the homebrew community cause this game and controller scam has nothing to do with anything but just greed to make money on a poorly thrown together game and a joystick.

In fact I think it is spam and does not belong on Atariage. I hope a mod can delete this thread.

• Like 2

It looks like SeizureTron anyways Propane13.

Somebody show this video to RamdomTerrain! He'll have a field day!

Here's my admittedly minimal experience with Lost Classics. They have a table at PRGE every year where they sell one or two new show exclusive games. There are no playable demos set up, not even videos of the game play. (Maybe there was a video last year. I honestly don't remember, I moved past their table pretty quickly.) Two years ago I bought Landfill because I thought the concept sounded interesting. While I still think the concept good be made into a good game, Landfill is not that game. There is no sound and the controls are so bad I genuinely wonder if anyone actually playtested it. The game came with two tiny plastic tabs to hold the dust cover on the cartridge slot open because the cartridge itself doesn't have the tabs that do that.

In fact I think it is spam and does not belong on Atariage. I hope a mod can delete this thread.

I think just the opposite. I think this scam needs all the negative attention it can get. And scam is the right word for it. Saying only one copy of a game will be made because it "requires" a special controller that in reality is functionally no different from any other joystick is just a lame trick to make this half-assed attempt at a game seem special and justify whatever ridiculous reserve price has been set.

• Like 4

This: The Video Game Homebrew Crash of 2016

At least the controller seems cool.

I read through the majority of that thread, I think about a month ago. I really hope that it does not come to this. I believe no matter what programming language, assembly or batari basic, if a game is polished, has great gameplay, and mostly bug free, it should be considered worthy of praise. I also do understand that a lot of get money quick schemes have the potential to ruin this great hobby of homebrew, and that is worrisome. Developers should be pushing the limits of the console, not worrying about how much money they can make off it. If your game is good, or even great, people will notice. They will also notice if you are in it for a quick dollar, which I really hope that The End is going to a good cause - charity.

Edited by InsertCoin25

How about a game that comes with a tv that has the screen with an overlay painted on it? I am going to make one. It will be custers revenge with a big cock on the screen written in white out to keep it vintage. I am taking preorders and offers now via paypal. Only one will be made. Buyer has to pay shipping at 2000.00usd.

• Like 2