IGNORED

Yars Revenge version comparison

Tangentg

Well I really like the GBC version.

It includes the directions and instructions in-game so hopefully there will be less people complaining about not knowing what to do, and I also really like the Ghost of Yar thing and the addition of enemies, and the Yar commander "cut scenes". The GBC version gets crazily fast after you reach enough levels.

I also like the graphics of the Yar in the GBC and HTML5 versions. The HTML5 version arguably combines the stages of the GBC version with the control scheme of the PC/Xbox version, but it has bugs and the controls can be clumsy. Also you're now fighting a cave monster in that version. The enemy "missiles" could also zoom directly towards you quickly in later levels, but their speed is rather random.

Edited by Tangentg

Well I mostly only live in the 2600 land myself. Just that recently someone mentioned playing Game Boy and Genesis to me so I started exploring more.

Ah, I wasn't aware that there was a C64 version. Thanks for sharing.

As for Yars' Return, it's not technically Yars' Revenge (I mean, well, it's a sequel to it) and it doesn't seem to be much-liked, so I didn't include that one.

Edited by Tangentg

I didn't know about the C64 scene version either - Jars' Revenge, eh? Guess it sounds the same in German. Plays like a dream either way. I haven't played the Star Castle arcade that inspired Warshaw to make Yars Revenge, but I'm sure he'd be pleased at how much this version feels like an arcade port.

BTW I see on the csdb credits that you are part of Prior Art, enthusi. I recently played through the special edition of Caren and the Tangled Tentacles that came with the C64 Commpendium Kickstarter. Congrats to your crew on producing such a fine tribute to classic era adventuring, while also making it feel modern and smooth. I hope it keeps growing!

• Like 1

I didn't know about the C64 scene version either - Jars' Revenge, eh? Guess it sounds the same in German. Plays like a dream either way. I haven't played the Star Castle arcade that inspired Warshaw to make Yars Revenge, but I'm sure he'd be pleased at how much this version feels like an arcade port.

I played Star Castle on the Vectrex emulator ParaJVE. It's not as unfairly hard as the Flash version online, but it's still too hard for me to beat a level. I got close to it one time though, so I suppose I'd be able to some time.

The C64 version doesn't seem much like an "arcade port" to me though... according to the videos online anyway.

I played Star Castle on the Vectrex emulator ParaJVE. It's not as unfairly hard as the Flash version online, but it's still too hard for me to beat a level. I got close to it one time though, so I suppose I'd be able to some time.

The C64 version doesn't seem much like an "arcade port" to me though... according to the videos online anyway.

It might just feek more arcade-like to me because it's on the C64. Sprite movement never feels quite as instantaneous on early home computers as on the Atari 2600. There's always a slightly sluggish feel? But this version feels very fluid, even hyperfluid when you slide of the Qotile's shield. There's also some smaller things that make it feel like an arcade port to me: the font and music on the highscore screen, the red-blue shifting of the Neutral Zone evoking the ghosting you'd get in the thick curved screen of cabinets, and the measured granularity of the sound that make it sound like speakers from within a machine. That roughness comes naturally to the VCS but feels more deliberate coming from a SID chip. For me, these aesthetic touches are convincing and mostly overcome the lack of arcade toughness.

Very cool. Someone should make a 5200 version of this game. That'd be pretty cool.

It's already out there... sort of. There is an Atari 8-bit port called Yar's Strike, which could be moved to the 5200 if someone had the gumption. Sorry to say though, it's not the greatest version of the game.