IGNORED

Has the arcade version of donkey Kong ever been releases on console

Jim Pez

Donkey Kong "original edition" was released by Nintendo for the virtual console. It was basically the nes version with the pie factory level added. It's been ported by fans to the nes as "pie factory edition." I made a cartridge of it for my nes. It's my favorite home version right now.

Edited by Noah98
  • Like 2

I was asking about one that had all levels. When I was a kid in th 80's I had the arcade strategy guide and always wondered why the arcade version had the extra level that my intelivision version didn't have. Years later some one told me it was because console carts didn't have enough space.

Edited by jim1174

I was asking about one that had all levels. When I was a kid in th 80's I had the arcade strategy guide and always wondered why the arcade version had the extra level that my intelivision version didn't have. Years later some one told me it was because console carts didn't have enough space.

How about NES, TI-99/4A and C64...DK XM for the 7800 and D2K Arcade for the INTV

Atari's ports of the game to 8-bit computers have all four screens and (to my knowledge) faithful lay-outs of where those screens appear in each level. This includes the Atari 8-bit, C-64, C-VIC20 and Apple II versions (maybe the TI-99/4A version as well; I haven't played that one). Most of them even have the "How high can you get?" screen. I believe these are the most arcade-like as far as preservation of features goes, and I'm especially fond of AtariSoft's C-64 release. I think it's the best all-around home port of DK (so far).

Coleco's ports, even for their own ColecoVision, are incomplete. They all dropped the pie factory screen and all but the ColecoVision version dropped the elevator screen. Coleco made up for this somewhat by expanding the game to include the pie factory screen in a release for the Coleco Adam.

Nintendo's original port for the NES doesn't have the pie factory screen, and other screens, particularly the first, have noticeable differences compared to the arcade game. Atari Corp. copied all of the NES version's quirks when creating the Atari 7800 version.

As mentioned, Nintendo released an expanded version of the NES port called Donkey Kong: Original Edition to commemorate the NES's 25th anniversary. This version includes the pie factory, but still has all the other quirks.

Also as mentioned, there are several homebrew efforts to create more faithful DK ports for systems like the Atari 2600, ColecoVision and Intellivision, and the Atari 8-bit version has been converted for play on the Atari 5200.

But to answer the question literally: No, the arcade version of Donkey Kong has never been released in emulator form for any console. Nintendo was very slow to enter the emulation game, and even when they finally did, they stuck with console emulations, neglecting their arcade titles.

Surprised no-one's talked about the versions which were put out in the UK by Ocean in the mid-80s. I've not played it myself, but the adaptation for the Amstrad CPC is widely considered to be one of the better home ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNXLsobO3Gk

I know the C64 version of that is considered pretty solid as well - though I've played the Atarisoft version more (yep, that means the C64 got two versions of the game!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-1OqbKNmzE

• Like 1

But to answer the question literally: No, the arcade version of Donkey Kong has never been released in emulator form for any console. Nintendo was very slow to enter the emulation game, and even when they finally did, they stuck with console emulations, neglecting their arcade titles.

It was always a question to me whether the "unlocked" version (not the modified version you play to get the banana) of Donkey Kong found on Donkey Kong 64 was emulated code, or a port of some sort. It feels like the original, but I recall some odd differences here and there.

• Like 1

How well would those arcade strategy guides work with home versions? They are not exactly ports or even translations of the original code. They may look the same but in most cases its a different game.

I vaguely remember a story I read somewhere (maybe on these boards?) about Nintendo not owning the source code of the arcade version of Donkey Kong, so they cannot publish it. Maybe it's just an urban legend...

Yeah this is the story that I understand. Donkey Kong was programmed and manufactured by a contractor Ikegami Tsushinki and the contractor retained the copyright to the code. When demand for Donkey Kong increased they used an additional contractor for manufacturing. Nintendo got sued for manufacturing unauthorized copies of Donkey Kong. Later when making Donkey Kong Jr. they reused some Donkey Kong code and got sued again. They settled out of court, I assume Nintendo has control now. There was a 1982 US case, Nintendo of America vs Elcon Industrie, where Elcon was sued for their Crazy Kong clones. Part of Elcon's defense was their position that Nintendo copyright claim is invalid because of Ikegami Tsushinki. Elcon did not win that one.

Any of you know why some versions have donkey kong on the left side of the screen and some have him on the right ?

Not sure if you've listened to the podcasts that talk much about this stuff, but most of it was limitations of the hardware and not having a vertical screen.

http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-15-donkey-kongs/

http://intarivisions.blogspot.com/2016/09/doin-dat-kong.html

You've never played DK64, then ;)

Space and time; programmers often had tight deadlines to meet marketing schedules. Considerable time should have been spent optimizing code so more game can fit on the limited ROM space. Often parts of a game might be cut out because they couldnt fit it in. I'm sure with more time coleco's Intellivision Donkey Kong could have been better. Did you wonder why Nintendo's trademark characters arent recognisable on Coleco's Intellivision Donkey Kong. What do you think of the gameplay? There is a rumour that Coleco made a poor Donky Kong for Intellivision purposefully to sell more Colecovisions. Obviously they had to have the ColecoVision version at least look like the arcade. If they gave the Colecovision programmer more time than the Intellivision programmer, than in a way the rumour is true.

Surprised no-one's talked about the versions which were put out in the UK by Ocean in the mid-80s. I've not played it myself, but the adaptation for the Amstrad CPC is widely considered to be one of the better home ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNXLsobO3Gk

Wow, compared to some garbage the CPC have seen, this version is amazing! I would have never looked for it either.

Funny everybody is showing ports (even one person mentioning Gameboy DK). I thought the OP was asking if the arcade version ever made it to a home console. In this case the only one I know of is the one in DK64.. but as I asked earlier, is it really an emulated version? Or is it just another port (albeit a close one)?

I'm relatively familiar with the arcade game so I'd probably be able to make my own educated opinion.. but the darn thing is so hard to get to and unlock in the game. :lol: You can get to it normally for the banana part, but that is obviously modified since it ends after a few stages, etc. You have to do some tasks to unlock Donkey Kong fully as a menu item.

Edited by NE146