IGNORED

where to buy cartridge PCBs?

sanny

Well,

I bought two of these cart PCB`s (for 16k carts) and alas they are a few mm too short. Me and my friend tested these PCB`s last weekend, they are okay for the XE (tested with his 130XE), but you do not get contact with the XL (tested with my 800XL) or XEGS...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well,

the Atari pcb`s usually have a hole in the middle of the pcb, thats where the screw or some pcb holder normally sits when you insert the pcb into a case. I did insert the B & C 16k cart pcb into an old Atari 800/XL case and when I wanted to plug in the cart into my 800XL it did not get contact with the cart (the cart pins), because the pcb was a few mm too short and thus did not come out of the case as far as it should to get contact with the XL`s cart port...

So I visited my friend and he did put the pcb into an Atari XE cart a) Taiwan and b) Hong Kong type. The cart pcb did not fit into the Hong Kong cart case at all (which was no surprise to me), but it also did not fit properly into the Taiwan cart case - just as before it was a few mm too short to get contact with the XL`s cart port. (It also did not get contact with the XEGS cart port when encased in an 800/XL case or an XE Taiwan case.)

The next thing my friend did was to insert the Taiwan cart with this pcb into his 130XE cart port and here it did get contact and the cart worked. In other words, if you want to put the pcb into an Atari case (B & C sells it as an Atari 16k cart pcb, so I thought it will fit in an Atari cart case, alas it does not!), you will notice that the pcb is a few mm shorter than it should be, so with the case it does not fit into the XL or XEGS cart port, but it does fit into the XE cart port...

Of course you may simply use the naked pcb, this will fit nicely into the XE and XEGS cart port (but may cause a short circuit on 600XL and 800XL computers)...

• Like 2

Well,

the 600XL and 800XL have cartridge (port) doors made of metal and thus can cause a short circuit if you plug in a naked cart pcb (its better to use a cart case). The XE and XEGS computers (as well as the 1200XL) do not have these cart. doors, so one can use naked cart pcb`s...

Is this the board you have? I think it is. Look how incredibly short the gold fingers are on the cart port of the PCB.

I think so, but cannot verify it any longer, since I gave the boards away to my friend...

While the pcb`s of an XE Taiwan cart are already quite "short" (especially the pins / gold fingers on them), the two pcb`s I got from B & C were even 2 or 3 mm shorter. Therefore most XE carts in my (Atari carts) collection are Hong Kong carts, they have longer pins / gold fingers and therefore have much better contact with my 800XL cart. port...

I have to plug in the XE Taiwan carts several times in my XL computers until they work, while the Hong Kong carts always work right from the start (alas, some XE carts like Archon seem to be only available as Taiwan carts)...

I am curious if anyone ever made a new or clone XE Super Cart PCB? I know there's been talk about it over the years.

A board with a GAL chip like the bankswitched Pixels Past boards would be really nice.

Both the PCB and case appear to be available from B&C/myatari

ACA046 PCB Atari Super Cart holds one EPROM 14.95 1-2764 to 27512

ACA046C Case for Atari Super Cart PCB Used $7

• Like 1

I am curious if anyone ever made a new or clone XE Super Cart PCB? I know there's been talk about it over the years.

A board with a GAL chip like the bankswitched Pixels Past boards would be really nice.

Looking at the boards here, it's not even a GAL, just two 74 series ICs to select and latch address lines. Very straightforward.

Contain n 8KB banks. Bank n-1 is mapped at $A000-$BFFF. Banks 0 to n-1 are mapped to $8000-$9FFF by writing the number of bank to any of $D500 registers.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone has started using a 3D printer to make cartridge cases? Might be a good market...

Davidmil

Unless you invest in a commercial 3d printer the ability to repeat at speed and quality is not possible. Too many variables on a consumer 3d printer of modest cost $600 -1500. That's not to say you can't design and print a case. You can, just don't expect the quality, quantity or speed of injection molded cases. Won't happen. :(

Edited by Dropcheck

Unless you invest in a commercial 3d printer the ability to repeat at speed and quality is not possible. Too many variables on a consumer 3d printer of modest cost $600 -1500. That's not to say you can't design and print a case. You can, just don't expect the quality, quantity or speed of injection molded cases. Won't happen. :(

How many of us users would it take to chip in $20 or so each to get the tooling done for some OSS type cart cases? It sucks that Steve Tucker already has this and won't share.

• Like 2

How many of us users would it take to chip in $20 or so each to get the tooling done for some OSS type cart cases? It sucks that Steve Tucker already has this and won't share.

Santos was trying to get together something like this. Not the OSS carts, but I think the grey shells, forgot what the common name is for them...... The last word was it was going to cost in the area of several thousand dollars for the tool and a small run (1500) of cases. The thread died out a few months ago. Haven't heard anything more.

I offered to help as much as I could, but it sounded like it wasn't going to be just twenty or thirty dollars per person. More like a hundred or two.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to find a shell that is still commonly available (like carts used by Santos, etc) and then as a group have custom pcbs made? Perhaps AA might carry them in the store. There's not a huge demand, but the subject of cart pcb's seems to keep coming up. Maybe someone familiar with carts can suggest a "fits-all" type that would be acceptable to many/most folks?

-Larry

• Like 2