IGNORED

Chicago TI International World Faire

Airshack

14 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

I used the Megabus for Chicago. Right now it’s as low as $6 for the 3.25 hour leg from Indianapolis to Chicago. (It’s ridiculously cheap when you book in advance. It is also ridiculously posh inside for the price, WiFi and AC.) In Chicago, I use public bus from the airport to Evanston where the show is. Don’t know if that works for you, but it would mean less wear on the car. 

We'd still have to drive about an hour up to South Bend, which is the closest stop for Megabus. At that point, we might as well take the car the whole trip. We'll think on it.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:25 PM, FarmerPotato said:

I used the Megabus for Chicago. Right now it’s as low as $6 for the 3.25 hour leg from Indianapolis to Chicago. (It’s ridiculously cheap when you book in advance. It is also ridiculously posh inside for the price, WiFi and AC.) In Chicago, I use public bus from the airport to Evanston where the show is. Don’t know if that works for you, but it would mean less wear on the car. 

Do you attend the retro computer group meetings in Indy? The Floppy Day's Podcast host Randy is usually there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All:

This is just a quick reminder that we are just over three weeks away from:

The 37th Annual Chicago TI International World Faire

Evanston Public Library
  https://www.epl.org
  1703 Orrington Ave
  Evanston, IL 60201
  https://goo.gl/maps/coQ2LBRYEBzEpCP37
  Saturday, November 2, 2019
  9:30 AM - 4:00 PM CDT

If you are unable to attend in person you can view the event on YouTube.  
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLTtWUO1syCerK4cPjOjPjg

Please note we still have some table space and talk/demo slots available. So if you items to sell or things to show off please send Faire Chairman, Hal Shanafield <hals12@hotmail.com> an email message with your specific needs.

jasmaz

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I see this event is coming up soon.   I might be interested in attending if I could find any information about what actually happens at the Faire.  Since I have never attended the event before, I have no idea what it is all about.  The only thing I can find is a bunch of blank web pages. 

I see this event is coming up soon.   I might be interested in attending if I could find any information about what actually happens at the Faire.  Since I have never attended the event before, I have no idea what it is all about.  The only thing I can find is a bunch of blank web pages. 

There are YouTube videos of last year's faire.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

There are YouTube videos of last year's faire.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I suppose watching a couple of hours of videos from last year would give someone an idea of what to expect.  Maybe not the best way to promote an event to new prospective attendees.  Just my $.02.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, broettger said:

I suppose watching a couple of hours of videos from last year would give someone an idea of what to expect.  Maybe not the best way to promote an event to new prospective attendees.  Just my $.02.

And you would not be wrong in thinking that. As an FYI however, there is a companion event on Friday in Evanston at the Hilton Garden Inn which runs for 2 days where a bunch of TI enthusiasts gather and tinker with equipment, talk shop, etc... No lectures or structured demos, but more like show and tell. Most of us will attend the official Faire on Saturday as well. Check the following thread for more details: 

• Like 3

A quick question.  On Saturdays, is the Evanston Public Library parking area free or do they charge?  I know I need to remove my vehicle from the garage somewhere around 5:00 or 5:30  pm, just could not recall of the charges.

Debating if I bring some equipment, or conversely buy something heavy, whether I would be better off parking in the garage during the day.

6 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Thanks for the reply.

Youbetcha.  More to the point, ISTR it is $2 per hour, maximum two hours each time.  The plus of the basement is a level rolling surface from the car to the elevator and it is shielded from the weather (expecting early morning snow on Friday, high of 40F on Saturday but no precipitation) but you have to be out by right around closing or you are locked in until Sunday morning.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:19 PM, OLD CS1 said:

ISTR it is $2 per hour, maximum two hours each time.

Parking at the library is raised to a maximum of four hours posted, but the machine I used was offering six hours for $1.50 per hour.  Actually not terrible.

Special shout-out to @BuckoBrand and @Opry99er for making the long drive for the short visit.  Was good to see you guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget to add the exotic dancers, especially Darla and Peggy, from Aruba that were in town for one of the clubs.  They showed up Saturday evening while some other folks were interested in figuring out how to concatenate some strings in an XB program.

Beery

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll continue...

1. Meet in person, putting online names/avatars to faces (FarmerPotato, Tursi, OLD CS1, Opry99er, Vorticon, Ksarul, kl99, iliketurtles, BuckoBrand, rossman, BeeryMiller, Victor, and more

2. Observing (and potentially helping) Walid Maalouli (Vorticon) troubleshoot his current robot project

3. 1-on-1 discussion of ForTI and various prototype boards with Erik Olsen (FarmerPotato)

4. 1-on-1 discussion of 99/5C board development with Eric Firestone

5. Have Lee Stewart upgrade your cartridge to fbForth 2.0:12

6. Get fbForth 2.0: A File-Based Cartridge Implementation of TI Forth for $12 ($10 with cartridge) instead of the $14.99 Amazon price

...lee

• Like 1