IGNORED

Give it a name

mizapf

Give it a name  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Geneve Operating System be called?

• GeneveOS (like now)
    • Geneve OS (with blank)
    • GeneOS
    • GenOS
    • MDOS (like "Multitasking Operating System")
    • Other (suggestions below)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I discussed this point with Insane Multitasker (Tim) some time ago:

The Geneve Operating System was formerly called MDOS (for "Myarc DOS"). Since those times are long ago and Myarc resting in memory peace, a new name was considered, which is at this time "GeneveOS".

To be honest, this is not really a sexy name. The Geneve OS is called "GeneveOS". Yeah, cool.

This is an opinion poll, not a referendum - it should be up to Tim to decide about keeping the name, or calling it Frank, or whatever.

Is there a new version to warrant granting a new name? or will we end up with two names for the same thing? The historical name, and the new name?

If it got a new name I'd suggest maybe: IDEDOS (I jest)

I actually like the name 'GeneveOS', it just hasn't been adopted in practice.... all of the references still seem to use the term MDOS, except the documentation with the GeneveOS releases.

-M@

If there is another Boot ROM (which I'm playing with in my thoughts), it will show the Swan in some way. Apart from that, and from the logo, there is not so much swan in the Operating system, though.

The idea of using a backronym for MDOS as "Multitasking Disk Operating System" (instead of the original "Myarc Disk Operating System") could allow us to keep the old name, but for me, keeping GeneveOS is also OK.

As I said, this is not yet urgent, and I just wanted to see how people think about the GeneveOS name (could also have turned out that everyone else prefers the old "MDOS" name).