IGNORED

F18A on ColecoVision - What do I need to know?

Pixelboy

My friend Armando would like to upgrade his defective ColecoVision with the F18A (the RF output is the part that's defective, so we're assuming that this problem can be bypassed with the F18A once it's installed, and his console will therefore work again.

Where can Armando buy the F18A and what will he need to do to install it himself? He's handy with a soldering iron, no problem there.

I wish I had the time to investigate this myself on Armando's behalf, but I really don't, so that's why I'm openly asking for advice here. Feel free to post links to web sites and other related AA threads if you think it will help. :)

I will give the link to this forum thread to Armando. Thanks in advance for any helpful reply! :D

You can buy the F18a at http://codehackcreate.com/store. Make sure you select the ColecoVisi​on, tall pins option.

To install just remove the VDP and install a 40 pin socket. The F18a will plug into the socket.

The F18a comes with a VGA port that needs to be mounted in the back of the CV.

You will also need to add a sound port (either 3.5mm jack or RCA) tapped off of C88 and ground.

You should also make sure C3 is at least 10uF (it is usually 1uF) to ensure that the F18a has time to initialize on powerup to prevent some games from messing up and powerup.

Be sure to be careful when removing the VDP as the traces on the CV are easy to lift.

Any questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

My friend Armando would like to upgrade his defective ColecoVision with the F18A (the RF output is the part that's defective, so we're assuming that this problem can be bypassed with the F18A once it's installed, and his console will therefore work again.

Where can Armando buy the F18A and what will he need to do to install it himself? He's handy with a soldering iron, no problem there.

I wish I had the time to investigate this myself on Armando's behalf, but I really don't, so that's why I'm openly asking for advice here. Feel free to post links to web sites and other related AA threads if you think it will help. :)

I will give the link to this forum thread to Armando. Thanks in advance for any helpful reply! :D

is he in the USA?

i have a question too. I tapped a wire off the c88 nearest pin to the rf output box and the regualr tones sound fine but the higher tones & noise channels are screaching. i have tried grounding the other wire to various parts to no avail. Any idea why this is happening and is there a better spot to output the sound from?

Perhaps the gauge of the sound wire is insufficient?

Thanks. I resoldered it and no difference. But it is fine afterall. I was running the sound through my computer " line in" port while testing a game so I could use the monitor. I switched it over to the microphone port and adjusted the settings and now it sounds fine.

Only thing I could think is cold solder joint. What kind of audio jack are you using? I have not had any issues with using C88 leg closest to the RF box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, he lives in Spain.

Thanks for all the info so far, guys. :)

be aware that European coloco's do not work properly with the f18a, i have tried it on multiple consoles but all produce the same issue apart from the usa board that i obtained

see this thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245491-f18a-issues-with-certain-games/

some of the suggested fixes improve the situation but do not fix it, i game up as i was wasting too much time on it, i just got a usa board in the end

I am in the same position as omf here and can confirm that on two different PAL UK Colecovisions (soon to be three when I dig a spare one out I have) do not work correctly with the F-18A but I believe that it is to do with the bios somehow. I have tried the cap mod on both boards to no avail.

The board designer and manufacturer (Matthew) is a first class chap and has been very helpful so far.

Does anyone know if the F-18A has ever been successfully tested on a PAL Colecovision?

As I learned on my system, the F18a also acts as video ram, so all of the ram can be removed and by following the code hack create 5V mod instructions (without installing new ram) the system will work with a 5v 2 amp wall-wart, which is much smaller and less prone to failure than the original Coleco supply. The no-delay bios rom replacement might help with PAL issues, though it is a major pain to desolder the original.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Towmater. What makes you think the bios would make a difference on a PAL machine? Without any evidence at all I can only conclude that it must be the BIOS since there is no other difference in the machines except the PAL ones run at 50 not 60Hz. I am quite prepared to give the BIOS swap a shot I'm that desperate!!