IGNORED

Ms. Galactopus - Complete!(?)

KaeruYojimbo

Great game! I had said this about Galactopus the First in a recent review, but I think it would be awesome towards the end if one should have to face off against multiple galactopuses. Like either Ms. Galactopus and her sister or Mr and Mrs Galactopus, reunited.

"Towards the end?" This is 1980's-style arcade shooter. There is no "end." It just goes on forever and ever... :)

EDIT: In case you missed it since this is the first post on a new page, go back to page 1 for a new version of the game.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

"Towards the end?" This is 1980's-style arcade shooter. There is no "end." It just goes on forever and ever... :)

EDIT: In case you missed it since this is the first post on a new page, go back to page 1 for a new version of the game.

Still, "towards the end of the increase in complexity of the gameplay cycle" as opposed to the last stage before winning the game.

I think it would be awesome towards the end if one should have to face off against multiple galactopuses. Like either Ms. Galactopus and her sister or Mr and Mrs Galactopus, reunited.

I actually did consider having 2 Galactopuses in the first game (that's why there's an offhand reference to it in the manual) but it ended up being impossible to to it the way I thought I might be able to so I skipped it. Adding another Galactopus here would cause it to flicker constantly, which I don't want. I had wanted to do an ending with Galactopus and Ms. Galactopus side by side with a heart between them (think Mario and Pauline at the end of the rivet stage) but had to scrap it.

Worked some more on the bonus stage. Still trying to find the sweet spot between too easy and too hard.

msgalactopus20170923.bin

post-5573-0-18841700-1506216005.png

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 4

I actually did consider having 2 Galactopuses in the first game (that's why there's an offhand reference to it in the manual) but it ended up being impossible to to it the way I thought I might be able to so I skipped it. Adding another Galactopus here would cause it to flicker constantly, which I don't want. I had wanted to do an ending with Galactopus and Ms. Galactopus side by side with a heart between them (think Mario and Pauline at the end of the rivet stage) but had to scrap it.

Worked some more on the bonus stage. Still trying to find the sweet spot between too easy and too hard.

Too drunk to read the whole post but I saw the pictorial where galactopus and ms galactopus fell and love so I gave the thumbs up becausee it made my day. maybe thy have babieeees like ms pacman. oh wait they do! :lust:
  • Like 1

Still out of alignment on the AFP..... will there be a portable ROM version in the future?

I'm guessing there's an issue between the AFP's emulator and the bB multisprite kernel causing the problem. I haven't tried the game on the portable and don't have any plans to do an alternate ROM if there isn't a way to make one ROM work on both the portable and actual 2600 hardware.

Love it!

On Stella one of the baby octopuses was on the edge and I couldn't get my ship over far enough to shoot it. I'll have to try it on the heavy sixer with the Harmony.

It's possible for a baby to be too far to the left to shoot. It's on my list of things that need to be tweaked. I think Arenafoot is referring to a problem with the missile on the portable when he says "out of alignment."

Updates:

Bonus Round - Each time you shoot a baby, the next one appears a little higher on the screen. Shoot a baby off the top of the screen before one reaches the bottom.

Ms. Galactopus - Starting with the 4th non-bonus level, if Ms. G touches the edge of the screen 3 times without being shot, she moves closer to the player.

msgalactopus20171001.bin

• Like 3

Updates:

Bonus Round - Each time you shoot a baby, the next one appears a little higher on the screen. Shoot a baby off the top of the screen before one reaches the bottom.

Ms. Galactopus - Starting with the 4th non-bonus level, if Ms. G touches the edge of the screen 3 times without being shot, she moves closer to the player.

portable fix????

portable fix????

Short answer: No.

Long answer: I tried it out on the portable and not only does the shot start in the wrong place, it jumps to the left as it moves up the screen, so it's not as simple a fix as changing the starting position of the missile. I'd have to compensate for those jumps by adjusting the y position at the appropriate points as it moves up the screen. There seems to be some incompatibility between the AFP emulator and the bB multisprite kernel, and altering the kernel is beyond my meager skills.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

• 3 weeks later...

msgprge3.jpg

Random dude checking out Ms. Galactopus as the AtariAge booth. He and another guy were trading off while I was in line getting Draconian and Space Cactus Canyon.

I came through a little later and a teenager was playing. He kept mashing on the fire button, so each shot only went up an inch or so before resetting. He never figured out to let the shot travel up to Ms. G before shooting again.

Stupid kids...

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

It's one of the best homebrew shoot 'em up with draconian. :thumbsup:

Wow! That's pretty good company. Thanks!

Is it coming out still? This game is awesome. Albert should do a "double ender" with Galactapus and Ms Galatapus!!! :D

I still want to finish it. Real life pulled me away from it and it's been hard to get back to it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Ms. Galactopus on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream this tomorrow (Friday) on Twitch at 12PM PT/3PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games on Friday:
- Ms Galactopus (2018 WIP) by KaeruYojimbo
- Breakout 2000 (2019) by Mr SQL
- Dot (Minigames) (2013 WIP) by seemo

EDIT: Link to archive of livestream

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 1

Cool!

Here's a new version with some small, mostly cosmetic updates. Hope I got it up in time for the show.

Still not happy with the bonus round. I'm trying to work out how quickly to increase the rate at which the babies fall. Right now it's too slow, so it's pretty easy. Trying to find a good balance so that it speeds up quickly enough to be challenging, but not so quickly it's impossible.

msgalactopus20190111.bin

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 3

Just in time, thanks KaeruYojimbo. :-) See you on the livestream!

Cool!

Here's a new version with some small, mostly cosmetic updates. Hope I got it up in time for the show.

Still not happy with the bonus round. I'm trying to work out how quickly to increase the rate at which the babies fall. Right now it's too slow, so it's pretty easy. Trying to find a good balance so that it speeds up quickly enough to be challenging, but not so quickly it's impossible.