IGNORED

Stella at 20 documentary

Nathan Strum

Does anyone know how big the whole thing is? I don't have the fastest internet connection and would like to be able to schedule it around my family's steadily increasing internet habits.

You can stream it, if you don't want to download it.

If you want to download it, you can do it a piece at a time.

Does anyone know how big the whole thing is? I don't have the fastest internet connection and would like to be able to schedule it around my family's steadily increasing internet habits.

I am downloading the *.torrent version , you can do selective downloading with most torrent clients

total it's 58.8 GB

That there's interest in these tapes just proves again and again the VCS is outside of time.

Great documentary and great analogy! The VCS is so unusual that it can't always be placed to a specific timeframe even by computer experts:

Show an optimized VCS demo to a modern programmer and they generally think it was done on modern hardware, not a 70's computer.

But show a demo from any other contemporary home computer (besides Atari) and modern programmers know right away the demo came from an 80's machine.

The SID chip from the C64 is also timeless, it's subtractive analog synth shares the same magic of lost technology in the audio spectrum.

post-30777-0-86802000-1476888999_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely awesome work, Nathan. Downloading it now, and can't wait to watch it during the dark, winter months here in England!

I know a re-edit didn't (and probably won't) happen, but does anyone here have the time to upload a digital copy of the VHS-to-DVD volumes that are out there? Or do links already exist somewhere?

I know a re-edit didn't (and probably won't) happen, but does anyone here have the time to upload a digital copy of the VHS-to-DVD volumes that are out there? Or do links already exist somewhere?

We would prefer people didn't upload or support the DVD bootlegs of the edited volumes that are out there. Those are illegal, pirated copies, made without permission.

The reason we didn't upload those volumes ourselves is that there is some material present in the edited versions we need to secure the rights to. If or when that changes, we will let everyone know.

• Like 5

We would prefer people didn't upload or support the DVD bootlegs of the edited volumes that are out there. Those are illegal, pirated copies, made without permission.

The reason we didn't upload those volumes ourselves is that there is some material present in the edited versions we need to secure the rights to. If or when that changes, we will let everyone know.

Ah, OK, I misunderstood. I thought the release of these source tapes meant that it was effectively public domain now. My apologies for getting confused.

Strike the request from the record!

No problem. As a point of clarification, this is the Creative Commons license the camera tapes were released under (which is not the same as Public Domain). Volume 1 and Volume 2 are separate works, and have not yet been released officially anywhere except on the original VHS tapes.

I've taken the journey through the complete series, and paused to play a bit of each game that they were talking about..... Though I'm not in the least a programmer, I received an education on the efforts of the programmers, and a new appreciation of the games I've played since 77. There were some quite funny moments, like mentioning that anything that resembles a bug, (talking about teleporting tanks in combat), is in fact a game feature. I recommend this as a fun history lesson for any new gamer, and a chance to make a connection to the architects of our many hours of enjoyment and keeping out of trouble for old men like myself. The only thing I wish is that Carol Shaw would have been able to speak more. Now, back to winning those pesky Activision patches that have elluded my my whole life.

• Like 1

It's a lot to comb through, but I did watch some of these videos when I first learned of it, and it's great stuff. Especially with all the great people they were able to get together for the interviews. It's clear how much they loved working on the system and how important it was in their lives, just by the fact that they would want to do these videos.

And by 1997, the VCS was already making its "comeback" as a retro gaming console. Single-handedly starting this hobby that we're all here for.

That retro resurgence, of course, inspired this ill-advised 1998 sequel to Stella at 20 (I think):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120703/

• Like 2

Who's filming STELLA AT 40 ??????

(Al Alcorn didn't seem too enthusiastic about it, Perhaps Nolan Bushnells' attempts to get the logo back and his Atari 2.0 would be a good subject to talk about, the 2600 retrogaming and homebrew scene of today would also be good, maybe some other programmers like the guy that did H.E.R.O. and Cosmic Commuter)

post-19460-0-16553700-1478502840_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-89231800-1478502865_thumb.jpg

Who's filming STELLA AT 40 ??????

(Al Alcorn didn't seem too enthusiastic about it, Perhaps Nolan Bushnells' attempts to get the logo back and his Atari 2.0 would be a good subject to talk about, the 2600 retrogaming and homebrew scene of today would also be good, maybe some other programmers like the guy that did H.E.R.O. and Cosmic Commuter)

There was some discussion of filming a follow-up, focusing on homebrew authors (which I still think would be interesting), but it never materialized. Homebrew authors are literally spread all over the world, so it would be a considerable logistical challenge - but I think the international aspect of the scene is one of the things that would make it so interesting. Of course now, interviews could be conducted via Skype or similar, but someone would have to actually want to go through the work of coordinating everything, arranging and conducting the interviews, and then editing and compiling them together into something presentable (if not cohesive).

There was some discussion of filming a follow-up, focusing on homebrew authors (which I still think would be interesting), but it never materialized. Homebrew authors are literally spread all over the world, so it would be a considerable logistical challenge - but I think the international aspect of the scene is one of the things that would make it so interesting. Of course now, interviews could be conducted via Skype or similar, but someone would have to actually want to go through the work of coordinating everything, arranging and conducting the interviews, and then editing and compiling them together into something presentable (if not cohesive).

Might make sense to do something like this at one of the larger events like PRGE or CGF. David Kaelin talked to me about having a homebrew panel at next year's CGF. PacManPlus said he'd be up for it, and johnnywc plans to be there too so might be willing to take part of it.

When I hit this slide while reviewing my presentation for Saturday, I got to thinking that Joe Decuir made a comment on one of the tapes about the dollar budget for Stella's hardware. I think it was something like $50 or $60, which would be pertinent info for that slide, but I don't recall exactly. Does anybody remember which tape that was on?

post-3056-0-64888000-1478615322_thumb.png