IGNORED

Power Ribbon Cable Replacement

HunterZero

The Intellivision ribbon cable and power supply connector are renowned for being a bit rubbish, and common points of failure.

I do try to preserve the ribbon cable where possible, I have glued a few back together, but when the ribbon continuity breaks or the connector disintegrates it's not possible to repair it reliably. So when that happens I replace it with this little kit...

post-34908-0-10140200-1476759488_thumb.jpg

The right angle connector goes on the power supply, the straight one on the motherboard.

Luckily the pitch of the ribbon pins is a standard 2.54mm pitch, so off the shelf connectors fit perfectly. I found the connectors and 5 pin headers on ebay. The connectors are keyed to ensure correct connections. I use hard drive ribbon to keep it neat.

- James

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the necrobump, but I just gotta say thanks for this, especially since nobody else did. I'm in the middle of trying to repair a Bandai Intellivision and just when I thought I was done, I got no power. Looked at the ribbon cable and it's utterly trashed. When I Googled what to do about it, this thread was the only really good-looking solution I found. I've got the connectors on the way now, so hopefully it all works out. But it seems like it should be a really good fix.

• Like 2

My method is certainly more time consuming but cheap. I just use machine pin female headers on the power supply board. Then use old IDE ribbon cable and solder another set of female machine pin headers to one end of the cable. The other end is soldered directly to the main logic just like the original ribbon cable was. The two sets of female machine pin headers mesh up on the power supply. I just make sure to use a sharpie to make one end of the cable and also on the power supply board so if it does get twisted up I know which way is which.

This is an earlier one I did for a member here that sent me a dead Intellivision. I use IDE ribbon cable now, but as you can see in this pic I put an O to denote Orange wire and a B for Blue that you can't see. You get the idea.

post-6-0-25603600-1517430132.jpg

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 3:01 PM, nick3092 said:

I repared one last year using this 6pin header and cable. I just clipped the extra leg off the male header, and it fit right on the power board PCB. I also clipped the unused wire on the female piece.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9922

I grabbed 10 of these.  It did indeed plug right into the power board PCB.  Thank you good sir.  Should have another old Intellivision up and running again soon.

2 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I grabbed 10 of these.  It did indeed plug right into the power board PCB.  Thank you good sir.  Should have another old Intellivision up and running again soon.

Where did you get them from. The site shows you have to order 50 of them.  Did you get them from another site?  

I've got a few other projects I'm working on, but I want to take apart on of my semi working units and play with it over the winter.  Doing this mod is one on the list.

40 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Where did you get them from. The site shows you have to order 50 of them.  Did you get them from another site?  

I've got a few other projects I'm working on, but I want to take apart on of my semi working units and play with it over the winter.  Doing this mod is one on the list.

I ordered 5 back in late Nov.  After 6 weeks they never arrived.  Last week I contacted them and they shipped 5 more.  I paid for the more reliable shipping.  Yesterday both arrived plus a 16gig thumb drive for my trouble.

17 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I ordered 5 back in late Nov.  After 6 weeks they never arrived.  Last week I contacted them and they shipped 5 more.  I paid for the more reliable shipping.  Yesterday both arrived plus a 16gig thumb drive for my trouble.

Am I right in thinking they're coming from Australia?  Website ends in .au. 

Well, with all the mess that's going on all over, I can't really blame the company for the shipping mistakes.  Sad times we're in. 

36 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Am I right in thinking they're coming from Australia?  Website ends in .au. 

Well, with all the mess that's going on all over, I can't really blame the company for the shipping mistakes.  Sad times we're in. 

My shipping says it left Boulder CO on the 17th and arrived at my mailbox in Toronto two days later.

Try this link.  Should not be .au

Funny thing is there is a note saying "Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery"

We got zonked by a snow storm from the US east coast so it arrived a day late.

Still from Boulder to Toronto in two days, DAMN!!!

Edited by Sinjinhawke

7 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

My shipping says it left Boulder CO on the 17th and arrived at my mailbox in Toronto two days later.

Try this link.  Should not be .au

Funny thing is there is a note saying "Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery"

We got zonked by a snow storm from the US east coast so it arrived a day late.

Still from Boulder to Toronto in two days, DAMN!!!

That's the one... I was looking at the website HunterZero put up in 2018. Got mixed up...

Yeah, that'll work like a champ.  

You're just north of me.  I'm in Long Island.  We got a LOT of wind...but it was all rain.  Would have been feet of snow if it did.  The wind was insane.  50+ MPH gusts.

YYZ... RUSH territory!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, jukeboxhero10 said:

Sorry to necro this post but did we ever find out where to buy those original looking replacements? If not what color wire goes to which pin on that 6 pin molex

The original looking ones would be new old stock.  They don't make them anymore so you'd have to ask whoever has some if they'd be willing to sell you one. The other replacements suggested here seem more durable, just lineup the wires like the original.

28 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The original looking ones would be new old stock.  They don't make them anymore so you'd have to ask whoever has some if they'd be willing to sell you one. The other replacements suggested here seem more durable, just lineup the wires like the original.

So I grabbed that 6 pin molex, but there dont seem to be any directions. what wire goes to which contact on the main pcb, and for the power board am i to desolder and remove the old power connector or does this one just plug right in?