IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Fall 2017

HammR25

Thanks for sharing that - Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption have to be my favorite Rockstar games, so I'm more than excited. I remember a lot of people hoping they'd announce it at E3 and there was a reddit post with a red rockstar logo that had jokes being made about "Oh Red Dead Redemption... DLC characters for GTA Online", so that's awesome to see it be real.

• 2 years later...

I'm picking it up after the weekend. Question though, should I get the physical disk version or digital download? Any known issues with either?

I'm weighted the pros and cons in my head and I'm very much on the fence. There's a lot of good and bad to both formats.

I've heard the game is so massive on disk we're back to the good old days of disk swapping (at least on XBox One). But I've also heard the digital version needs close to 150 gigs free before downloading.

I'm just curious which format owners would recommend to me?

The Blue Ray disks are installed on the XB1 or PS4 hard drive anyway, so really after the initial install the disks are essentially keys. One nice bonus with the digital download is that you can play the game on 2 consoles at once (at least on the XB1) Is a nice perk if you happen to have multiple consoles and players at home.

If you have a data cap like I do with Comcast, 150 gigs would eat up 15% of my monthly data, so that is something to consider.

I did actually buy the Xbox One X at release last November just so I could play this game when it came out. I've played a couple of hours so far. They've done a nice job of upgrading the animations. Kinda strange that a person can gain weight if they eat too much food but also might be fun to constantly hunt and eat just to see if your character gets noticeably fat. Otherwise I haven't done much in the game yet besides get through the chapter one tutorial and explore a little bit.

There's a lot of different random events that really make this a believable world. I think they might have Bethesda beat. The little details they've included are just insane. I found something grisly under a railroad bridge that's a cool mystery I'm trying to solve without looking online. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's on the way to the first town. Look for birds circling and be sure to go to the white dot for an item. One thing I need to get used to is gun fighting on horse back. I got ambushed and died pretty quickly. I need to start using deadeye more since I keep forgetting about it.

• Like 1

I'm a good ways into Chapter 2, and I really like the game, but I also have to admit that some of Rockstar's magic has been lost on me (gameplay-wise). I haven't played a Rockstar game since GTA5 on PS3 and I find myself constantly fumbling with the controls (for instance, I expect reload to be Square, not Circle), and all the little nuances are slowly coming back to me (as in, make sure to put your weapon away or don't rudely push people out of the way). Some moments can be rather boring - the constant traveling from one spot to the next on horseback or methodically opening every drawer in a room looking for supplies. (I'm pretty terrible about that at the beginning of any game: going slow and searching every nook and cranny trying to hoard up supplies and money).

It's a beautiful game, but like GTA5 I can't help but feel like I've done it all before. Not a bad feeling exactly, but it's there. I'm sure it will pass as I get further in and I've still got a looong way to go!

For traveling on horseback, I tend to use the cinematic camera. You just need to hold down the A button or X if you're playing on PS4. It helps keep things from being too mundane. Holding the search button keeps things going a little quicker too. If the missions get to be boring, which they can be, just go out exploring. I've found a lot of very interesting encounters doing this and side quests from strangers, some involve finding treasure. Hunting is also fun and there are legendary animals you can try and get. I haven't been fishing yet, but they have legendary fish too. I've found that this game is more like an RPG than a re-skinned GTA. Just stick with it if you can and try not to force yourself to play missions if you don't want to. I love riding around and soaking in the scenery, but my favorite mission so far is one where you take a gang member to a bar for a drink. It had me laughing pretty hard. It's been done before, but not like this.

Edited by xenomorpher

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like it when people hype a game you've never played to the point it annoys you, and you end up not playing it. That said, this is the first game since GTA3 or Oblivion that's consumed me. Even on regular XBOX One it's amazing looking and runs well. At night it looks like a real life movie at first glance and the story is compelling. I understand it's not for everyone, but I believe it's a game everyone should at least experience for themselves. I think Rockstar needs to do a full fledged RPG for their next game or a movie licensed one. They did a wonderful job with The Warriors, and I would LOVE something like an Escape From New York open world game from them.

• Like 1

Yeah I just got this, and just got out of the mountains last night, I'm a noob but....damn this game is awesome. Story, graphics, fun gameplay...wow.

I know the scene where they rob the first train (with the accounting guys in the locked car at the end of the train, then they bomb the door) is also a famous scene from a Western movie but I can't recall which! Any one recall? It involved a bunch of outlaws trying to convince some accountants not to die for Cornelius Vanderbilt (but in the game it's "Leviticus Cornwall"). It is driving me CRAZY that I can't think of the movie.