IGNORED

Reset to menu

johey

A reset button on the cart is not possible because the 2600 cart port lacks the signals to make that work. (see this post)

I also believe that installing a button on the console to trigger the RESET line of the 6502 won't work, because it would reset the console, but not the Harmony Cart (I guess that would restart the current game, but it wouldn't go back to the menu).

So the only way is to power cycle the console.
You could install a momentary, normally closed push-button on the +5v output of the voltage regulator if you want to save wear on the toggle power switch, or use a bit more complex circuit to have a fixed duration pulse activate a relay that powers the console off and then back on when you press the button. In either case, you have to mod the console, not the Harmony cart itself.

Though beeing a bit OT it is somehow related:

I wonder why it isnt more common to mod the consoles to 5V external power. It is 5v internal basically all the way and the 9V simply heat the 7805...

The minor modifications are described i.e. here:

http://2600scene.net/specs.html

but it doesnt seem to be very common or even done at all?

Thanks for clarification and wise suggestions! Sorry, i tried to search for the topic in old threads but didn't manage to spot the old one.

I'm thinking of installing a relay or transistor based power toggle mechanism that can be remotely controlled (inspired by the second button mappings of the 2600rgb mod).

• 5 months later...