IGNORED

Broken Falcon. Where to fix?

Gagarin

Years ago I had 030 back in Europe. I remember it was running with no problems, my friend was using it for 1 year...

Recently, I brought it to US. I changed power supply from my working unit and... It gives me green noised screen when I turn it on. What could be wrong with it? Some capacitor?

Anybody knows where in US someone would be able to fix it?

P.S.

Damn it!

Why fix it, its some old atari pc no one wants......might as well just send that ole thing to me :-D

On a serious note, are you able to try different a different power supply (or just test with a jumpered atx)? Also did you inspect it for any swollen or corroded caps?

Edited by cjameslv

Years ago I had 030 back in Europe. I remember it was running with no problems, my friend was using it for 1 year...

Recently, I brought it to US. I changed power supply from my working unit and... It gives me green noised screen when I turn it on. What could be wrong with it? Some capacitor?

P.S.

Damn it!

I'd be curious if you find a place to fix it. I called Best Electronics and they stated they no longer do repairs on Falcons. They mentioned sending it over to Europe to be fixed. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

I did dial the number for ATY computers and a voice mail picked up. They did identify themselves as ATY so they may still exist. After looking up the address in Oakland, it appears to be a one man operation in the middle of China town. No real visible store front from what I can see on Google Maps street view...so I'll try calling again later today and see if anyone picks up.

My Falcon started to have issues last year and thankfully a new PSU from Best Electronics cured it. Don't want you randomly tossing money about, but maybe you'd have the same luck.

Oops, I didn't notice that you used it with a known working PSU. So forget the suggestion.

Edited by Fletch

Well I talked to the owner of ATY computers. He states that 99.9% of his business now is repairing PCs. He has the capacity to do some repair work on ST family machines, but he stated he hasn't done any Falcon repair work in years. Essentially he no longer has the diagnostic tools for the Falcon...or the parts. He said quite frankly that he would be rather apprehensive to even touch a Falcon now-a-days.

He pointed me over to Best....and I talked to them a few weeks ago. Their solution was talking to developers of Falcon accelerator products and sending my motherboard over to the UK. Personally I won't consider that unless my machine goes into total failure. I'm thinking some of my crashing issues might be power supply related.

The owner of ATY seems really nice. Willing to help where he can... but that help is clearly limited.

• Like 1

Few questions...

Swollen caps... can anybody draw me a map of where to look for capacitors on the board?

It must be that. PSU and memory board are fine for sure.

Sending to Europe, but where? What company does Falcon service over there?

Less companies and more individuals...I would suppose.

That begs the question... how many ST/Falcon hardware developers would be willing to do repair services? You guys are busy enough I'm sure... but would you be willing?

Edited by vizfizz

P.S.

Damn it!

I guess as always the real question is where are you located?

If you're nearby someone with Falcon expertise, that could lead to a solution.