IGNORED

Ultimate Intellivision Controller

fdr4prez

BTW, if you need any sort of tweaks to jzIntv to make it easier to get raw events in there (or raw GPIO), I'm happy to help. I should probably get another RPi here I can use for development. (Right now, my main RPi is serving Spatula-City from inside an Intellivision cartridge shell.)

• Like 7

Intellivision controller to gpio support would be great for anyone doing an ultimate flashback type thing. But you still need a way to control the front-end. Something like this; this one is for atari/genesis and nes type controllers.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/GPIO-Modules

The other thing is to quit and restart from the controller we had to create extra virtual buttons. Its okay but it would be nice if that could be taken care of in jzintv. Not a big deal since the virtual buttons work.

I am in the the starting phase of a project that I am going to be trying out that db9_gpio_rpi module with. It isn't an Inty based project.

If such a module could be made for Inty controllers, then that'd be great.

There are enough GPIO for both controllers, or even 4 controllers.

And I'd imagine that the combo button support could be added.

Edited by fdr4prez
  • Like 1

I am in the the starting phase of a project that I am going to be trying out that db9_gpio_rpi module with. It isn't an Inty based project.

If such a module could be made for Inty controllers, then that'd be great.

There are enough GPIO for both controllers, or even 4 controllers.

And I'd imagine that the combo button support could be added.

The source code is here, so it shouldn't be too hard to modify it for Intellivision controllers

https://github.com/imam-i/db9-gpio-rpi

The Raspberry Pi GPIO only has 26 pins usable for input/output. We would need 4x8=32 for four Intellivision controllers. And yes combo buttons, virtual buttons, and easter egg support can be included.

The source code is here, so it shouldn't be too hard to modify it for Intellivision controllers

https://github.com/imam-i/db9-gpio-rpi

The Raspberry Pi GPIO only has 26 pins usable for input/output. We would need 4x8=32 for four Intellivision controllers. And yes combo buttons, virtual buttons, and easter egg support can be included.

Yes, I miss counted. I mistakenly thought there was 28 GPIO and I mistakenly did 4x7 instead of 4x8.

There are 26 GPIO on the board itself, which is enough for two controllers, but the Pi can be expanded to support 64 GPIO

It is explained more here (or many other sites):

https://learn.adafruit.com/mcp230xx-gpio-expander-on-the-raspberry-pi/overview

I'd say two controllers to the board and the other two can be optionally connected with a little bit of work.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've updated my first post showing my newly added Ultimate Intellivision Controller boot splash screen. My thanks goes out to Byte Knight and mthompson for helping me with this.

And equally important is that I've rebuilt this beast using the newly released Pi Zero W that has built in wifi, so now adding new games is very easy.

I continue to look for solutions for specially modified miniHDMI cable :mad:

One alternative is to use composite video out, but I'd have to make a circuit for the audio out. Doesn't sound too appealing, does it?

Looks cool. I would be happy to buy one...

Thanks, I would gladly make them for sale, but the issue with the specially modified mini-HDMI cable that is needed is preventing me from making more.

The composite output doesn't look too good, either, and no audio outputs for the Pi Zero unless you use a DAC circuit :(

Thanks, Wolfy.

I am hoping to complete my Atari paddle project within the next month, and I have my next project in the planning stages already.

I'll be able to make and sell the Ultimate Atari Joystick and the Ultimate Atari Paddles, or help others make their own, but the Ultimate Intellivision Controller is a bit of a challenge.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really want one of these. LOL Just because. I could never build one...I'm too old and afflicted. :-)

I really wish I could make the modified mini-HDMI cable en masse, otherwise I'd be selling these.

I will be bringing it with me to PRGE, so you can check it out. I do like showing off my unit...Just ask Tarzilla and cmart :grin:

I will also have my Ultimate Atari Joystick with me and if I can get the time to get my Ultimate Atari Paddles completed, then I will be bringing that, too. I just returned home from a 10-day business trip, and I've still got a fairly full plate to chew thru

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
12 hours ago, donjn said:

Do you do upgrades that include a composite output and audio as well? I would love to run this on my Commodore monitor. Trouble is your menu system is all widescreen.

Sorry, I am unable to build these for sale.  It uses a custom modified miniHDMI cable to allow it to fit inside the bottom of the controller.

But if you want to use a Pi Zero, it does have composite video pins, so you can solder in the needed pins:

image.thumb.png.a615aafed4041855151b470383bb9905.png

But it does not have audio out.

For audio out, you can get it out of GPIO header and make a little circuit.  There are plenty of google hits that you can follow on how to do it.

So overall I would not recommend using a Pi Zero is you are interested in composite and audio outputs.

Edited by fdr4prez