IGNORED

ICD XE to XL PBI adapter alternatives

Timothy Kline

Has anyone ever found or developed a replacement adapter that will allow ICD's MIO to be connected to the 130XE? If so, could you point me to where I can purchase one?

I´ve made a XE (cart + ECI) to PBI adapter some time ago, but no PCBs left. If you own a Turbo Freezer 2011 with XE adapter, you can use this one :)

Maybe before more action is taken... somebody who owns both should test it. There are some signals from the PBI (XL) missing at the XE (ECI), for example RAS/CAS. Specially RAS is sometimes used by PBI expansions to generate something like a shortened PHI2 phase (one solution before the actual usual way with the 74LS123/74HCT123 was developed). I didn´t know anything about this MIO thing, so maybe here´s a user with MIO and Turbo Freezer 2011 XE adapter und would check this together using a 130 XE...

Jurgen

• Like 1

You might contact Simius. He includes a very compact 130XE adapter with the Rev E IDE+2. But there is no cart. adapter on it, so that is an issue. Dropcheck was also working one an adapter, so do an advanced search here, and you should find the info on it.

The Turbo Freezer does work with the MIO, IIRC. But it's been a long time since I tested it. I'll re-test it with the MIO and let you know. At last check, no actual Turbo Freezers are available, but they did still have some extra PBI adapters. You would need to check with Wolfgang at ABBUC.

-Larry

• Like 1

I've been working on something like this in conjunction with the 130XE RA Dual Cart Extension. All the details are not worked out yet. But with tf_hh's help I am getting there. Here's a mockup of the current design. Not finished, but getting there. :)

eci2pbi.JPG

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 8

If you are willing to wait a bit, I'd put my money on Dropcheck's adapter.

But I did test my 1-MB original type MIO with the original ICD adapter, Simius' adapter, and the TurboFreezer XE adapter. They all work, and as best I can tell, behave identically -- they boot the same, load files the same, etc. I used a 320K XE, and my MIO uses an Acard SCSI to IDE adapter.

-Larry

• Like 2

The 130XE design I'm working on will have the standard PBI design ala 800XL. A few signals that are not found on the 800XL will be picked off on a separate connector. The signals that were dropped from the 130XE PBI version, but present on the 800XL will be harder to route. Not sure how much RAS and CAS will be needed, but I will try to locate and present them on the PBI connector if possible.

• Like 3

The 130XE design I'm working on will have the standard PBI design ala 800XL. A few signals that are not found on the 800XL will be picked off on a separate connector. The signals that were dropped from the 130XE PBI version, but present on the 800XL will be harder to route. Not sure how much RAS and CAS will be needed, but I will try to locate and present them on the PBI connector if possible.

Your work has been impeccable, Dropcheck, and you have my undivided attention on how this progresses. :thumbsup:

--Tim