IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

I like the carts and that they distanced themselves from the Wii name. It looks interesting but I think price will be a major factor with this system.

I'm inclined to disagree. If it's as powerful as has been speculated (big "if"!) then I don't think it needs to have a huge price advantage over Sony/MS. It may be able to draw in that crowd on hardware merits alone, especially considering you're getting a handheld console "free' with it.

Granted, being cheaper is always nice, but I think a $50 price gap would be sufficient. And it's the first time I've felt Nintendo's had that option... almost ever.

• Like 1

I don't know about the "Switch" name (do they expect to take Sony and Microsoft out back behind the wood shed and beat them with it?) but the system itself looks amazing to me. All the right traditional controls that make third party games for other systems easy to port coupled with several unique Nintendo twists. And I'm especially thrilled to see that Bethesda is on board with what appears to be Skyrim running on it! If they port Doom to the Switch as a launch title then I'll buy a system day 1. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

I'm inclined to disagree. If it's as powerful as has been speculated (big "if"!) then I don't think it needs to have a huge price advantage over Sony/MS. It may be able to draw in that crowd on hardware merits alone, especially considering you're getting a handheld console "free' with it.

Granted, being cheaper is always nice, but I think a $50 price gap would be sufficient. And it's the first time I've felt Nintendo's had that option... almost ever.

I'd say $75-$100 less to be competitive. I'm sure a lot of big developers are shaking their heads at the carts and we won't be seeing a lot of cross system big name games.

If this is the replacements of both the Wii/U and the 3DS, it's a bit of a shame they abandon the dual-screen gimmick but not surprising.

Ditto for motion controls; I guess they might do a "Switch Zapper" one day but not as the standard.

It removes any excuses from 3rd party devs that the system is too gimmicky to port for. Let's see how that plays out for them.

I wonder how they will handle backwards compatibility though.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

I kinda dig it. If all the usual 1st party Nintendo goodness is there (and tbh I am not much of a gamer and care much about major 3rd party stuff) I think that may replace our PS3 as a primary gaming/media device machine. I am more curious as to the capabilities of the handheld/tablet portion of the machine.

About the name: What is wrong with having a mostly unique name that you easily can trademark? While I'm sure that the Nintendo Switch will be trademarked, you can't overlook every network switch already in the world, just to name one example. I saw that Swiitch also is reasonably much in use so that probably never was an option.

Actually the first thing that comes to my mind is the duodenal switch and I'm not sure if it is ideal to get your console associated with a weight loss surgical procedure.

If this is the replacements of both the Wii/U and the 3DS, it's a bit of a shame they abandon the dual-screen gimmick but not surprising.

Ditto for motion controls; I guess they might do a "Switch Zapper" one day but not as the standard.

A month or so ago, there was a rumor floated that the controllers did include motion controls, but that it would not be a huge selling point. If true, my guess is to keep the option on the table to offer Wii games as VC titles, but not to push it as a feature for the next generation of titles. I could see that approach working out.

I'd say $75-$100 less to be competitive. I'm sure a lot of big developers are shaking their heads at the carts and we won't be seeing a lot of cross system big name games.

I don't know about that - it'll all depend on the size of the carts themselves, which can probably out-muscle a standard blu-ray disc these days, or one day soon if not yet.

I'm still waiting for official confirmation on whether or not this thing is region free. I did notice that Konami is listed as a 3rd party producer; a look at Wii and Wii U releases reveals almost nothing from Konami since 2010, but there's huge potential there.

I'm cautiously optimistic atm.

I rather like the multi-player/multi-console capability (not that I would ever have an occasion to use it).

I would want to see the screen size on the portable version before I made a purchase decision. Most portable screens are just too bloody small.

Do we know if the base unit and the portable screen are all included in the same bundle, or are they considered separate components, e.g. if I am only interested in a home gaming console, can I save money and forego purchasing the screen?