IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

The only game I've seen from this generation that was, has been Driveclub. Especially after weather was added to the game.

Either way, Zelda U is not an ugly game nor does it resemble something that appeared in 1998 for the Nintendo 64. He's just out to troll this thread until he gets bored.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

The only game I've seen from this generation that was, has been Driveclub. Especially after weather was added to the game.

Either way, Zelda U is not an ugly game nor does it resemble something that appeared in 1998 for the Nintendo 64. He's just out to troll this thread until he gets bored.

I thought it was a joke post, but maybe I was wrong. Only the most extreme haters or trolls would say Zelda U looks like a N64 Zelda game. Reminds me of this friend of mine who laughs at my 4k TV. He says the human eye can't tell the difference between it and 1080p. Yeah ok Stevie Wonder!

I'd rather spend my money on quality VCS and Vectrex Homebrew games than on the Wii U 2.0. When this comes out I might buy me another Wii U at a great price just to play the new Zelda . If the next Zelda has the same time frame then I can buy a switch 4 years from now at a discount price and get the 2021 Zelda .

Edited by adamchevy

It doesn't really seem like a console to me, more of a portable with the option to play it on the TV.

As my Wii U mostly collected dust this past few years, I often found myself thinking: "Gee, I wish I could play my 3DS on my TV." I think this console will carve out it's own niche and do just fine. I'm not a day one buyer, but I will keep my eye on it for sure..

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

I thought it was a joke post, but maybe I was wrong. Only the most extreme haters or trolls would say Zelda U looks like a N64 Zelda game. Reminds me of this friend of mine who laughs at my 4k TV. He says the human eye can't tell the difference between it and 1080p. Yeah ok Stevie Wonder!

It can't unless they are side by side.

No the new zelda game coming for the U does look nice.

Who knows how dumb this new switch system is. I am angry that the U didn't take off as I love that system.

I often found myself thinking: "Gee, I wish I could play my 3DS on my TV." I think this console will carve out it's own niche and do just fine.

maybe but as I politely argued the point last night in chat, I can play games on my phone, and with a dongle + bluetooth controller play them on the TV while the phone is in the other room and not getting off my arse OR having yet another thing that needs to be charged, have software for, and lug around when I travel (which I do a lot for work) to only serve one function

but personally I have never been a huge fan of portable game consoles, if I want to play a game its on a big fat TV on the couch with some friends, or its on a big fat PC by my self

It's not mind boggling either, but really was none of the other current gen systems

We're all pretty jaded nowadays. I can't imagine anything coming along that would boggle my mind, especially after "everyday" stuff like Forza Horizon, No Man's Sky, and Star Wars Battlefront, which are all amazing games that only hook me when I have copious free time.

maybe but as I politely argued the point last night in chat, I can play games on my phone, and with a dongle + bluetooth controller play them on the TV while the phone is in the other room and not getting off my arse OR having yet another thing that needs to be charged, have software for, and lug around when I travel (which I do a lot for work) to only serve one function

but personally I have never been a huge fan of portable game consoles, if I want to play a game its on a big fat TV on the couch with some friends, or its on a big fat PC by my self

Well said, but I'm exactly the opposite. Maybe it's my eyesight, or maybe it's the style of games, but I will choose handheld stuff every time, always have since the Atari Lynx and Game Boy systems came along. The best game is the one you have with you ...and that's usually the one I choose to pick up and play, too. Big fat hardware, whether PC or TV, is not for me. I can't be alone in this, though I may well be on this message board.

• Like 1

Stop. One look at 4k content on the TV will leave your jaw dropped with the stunning visuals.

For you, maybe. I know plenty of people who don't see much difference between SD and HD TV. For me, 1080p is definitely good enough for me, for now. We can wait until the 4K prices are crazy cheap like the 1080p prices are now. If I want 4K content, I'll go outside and look at real life stuff with my eyes.

i-went-outside-once-the-graphics-aren-t-

• Like 5

So you are saying that is NOT how that Zelda game is going to look? Well that sounds an awful lot like false advertisement. I'm sorry but it is pretty cut and dry that video shows the quality of that game on that system. Plain and simple.

Sure- but it's ONE game. Just because you think the next Zelda looks like shit doesn't inherently mean everything that will ever release on the Switch will be shit. That's like writing off the entire N64 library because Pilotwings was a launch title.

I read Nintendo was switching to more cost effective cell shading for this system. Then I seen the promotional trailer of that Zelda which is clearly cell shading. I guess it is possible not all games will look like graphical puke... we can hope.

If I were to market a brand new system in 2016 and it had graphic capabilities that were really good, I wouldn't release the promotional trailer for that system displaying graphics that looked bad 15 years ago. Hey what do I know.

You know that you hate cel shading and therefore think that the handful of games shown so far for the Switch have all the appeal of sweaty dog balls. That's fine- you don't have to like anything. It just seems a bit premature to me to pop up and announce the Switch a total unpowered failure months before it releases because the 1 1/2 minutes of pseudo-footage attributed to it thus far don't match your aesthetic preferences. Especially since we have literally no specs to give an idea of what it could do. They designed the Saturn to push sprites, but it still ran plenty of 3D games. Maybe just keep an open mind for 2018, after devs get a chance to tinker with the thing & see what they can make it do.

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 2

I'll buy it; my newest handheld at this moment is a DS XL, so portability could be cool and as long as there's some sort of Mario Kart... that's all I really want. And a Netflix/Amazon player because that's how our Wii U tablet usually gets used. Was glad to see the Amiibo in the commercial because we have lots of fun playing with those.

I don't care about shading or 4K or any of that other stuff.

You know that you hate cel shading and therefore think that the handful of games shown so far for the Switch have all the appeal of sweaty dog balls. That's fine- you don't have to like anything. It just seems a bit premature to me to pop up and announce the Switch a total unpowered failure months before it releases because the 1 1/2 minutes of pseudo-footage attributed to it thus far don't match your aesthetic preferences.

I call it as I see it. Lets hope it gets better. Still people are not blind IF it has better capabilities why not show them. That's just poor marketing. Seriously that's like showing a Truck that has the capability to tow a tank but instead they show it towing a bicycle, makes ZERO sense.

The best game is the one you have with you

yea and chances of me having my gamegear, ds, or switch with me while I wait half a day at the DMV are pretty slim, I never leave home without my phone, a 2.7 ghz quad core 3 gig of ram and oodles of storage phone

to each their own

I call it as I see it. Lets hope it gets better. Still people are not blind IF it has better capabilities why not show them. That's just poor marketing. Seriously that's like showing a Truck that has the capability to tow a tank but instead they show it towing a bicycle, makes ZERO sense.

Pretty sure the point of this first look is just to explain the console/handheld switchy thing. I imagine we'll get an actual focused-on-the-games video in the coming weeks.

I mean, if not, we've all got a lot to be worried about.

• Like 1

yea and chances of me having my gamegear, ds, or switch with me while I wait half a day at the DMV are pretty slim, I never leave home without my phone, a 2.7 ghz quad core 3 gig of ram and oodles of storage phone

to each their own

Yup, me too ...perhaps I wasn't being clear, but it's my sweet precious iPhone and iPad that get the most play of any "game console" I own (and I have everything). Switch would have to be very special indeed to match the variety and convenience of those fun and useful devices. Sure, I like buttons, but I like convenience and flexibility better.

It's still very very early for Switch. Nintendo already said they weren't going to show everything, because they didn't want a competitor to beat them to market. We're all talking about a teaser ad which created more questions than answers.

I'm glad the speculation turned out to be true. It seems Nintendo is getting back to basics, with the "gimmicks" being strictly utilitarian, which I think is great. I will be interested to see how well this thing does and if Nintendo eventually replaces the 3DS with it. If they do and sales pickup, that will only be a good thing for those that mainly want to play it on a TV (Most-likely far less of a software drought than what customers had to deal with when it came to the Wii U).

Myself personally, I'll probably get it around release (assuming they are easy to get) and I will treat it as a console. That said, it will be nice to know that I can take it with me easily in the rare instances I do travel.

• Like 1

Because Switch isn't a dual screen game system. It's either tv with the screen in the dock with the HDMI port, or it's out and being used as a portable.

I doubt Nintendo would do it but it looks like the tech may be there to make it possible. The dock doesn't appear to have any connectors for the console and is therefore probably wirelessly streaming to the dock possibly with the same method that multiple Switches in the video are connecting with each other. So, it could just be a software thing that makes it switch from console mode to portable mode like when the portable is detected in the dock then it switches to displaying it on the TV and when it is not detected it displays on the console. In other words, maybe it isn't being in the dock that makes it possible to be on the TV but they only allow it to work while in the dock maybe for latency reasons kind of like the dock being around it boosts the signal kind of thing but if they wanted to maybe it could stream to the dock from across the room. So, if they wanted to put a 3DS game on the Virtual Console then maybe they could tell the software,"If 3DS game detected allow second screen to stream to display on the TV without the Switch present and leave Switch screen on for first screen."

We haven't ever seen the dock in a way that that such a determination could be possible.

I agree that dual screen gameplay with the television is a possibility here if the Switch and the dock have the necessary hardware to stream video wirelessly like the Wii U gamepad. But even if there is, I really bet that there will still be a physical connection when docked between the Switch screen and the dock, that's passing through the video and audio signal.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I was right with what I said earlier. It's Nintendo so it won't be cheap. Apparently it's likely to cost $299 which will probably equate to £299. There will be a bundle costing £399. So it's more expensive than both current systems.

Having finally taken a look at the reveal video, I am warming slightly to it but it's still way too expensive if those prices are correct. It's not an ugly device but it is still just a tablet. Then again, part of the problem has to be NVIDIA and how much they must be charging Nintendo for their chipset. Their own Shield tablet costs in excess of £200 (or at least it did until recently - looks like the price has dropped to £180) and the Tegra in that is probably less powerful than what's in the Switch.