IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

I'm still not sure how I'll approach digital on the Switch as of yet. I'm not sure if I'll be comfortable building a large digital library.

I'll probably do what I was originally going to do with the Wii (Before ignoring their digital store entirely.) Assuming they have prepaid cards available for it (I'll instant-ignore it if they require credit cards and/or paypal) I'll probably buy one or two of them. And what I buy out of that will be it. A bit of a customization of the console with a few games I know I'll enjoy. I did that with the 360 actually. 40 dollars worth of cards (so two 2000 point cards I believe) and I actually managed to use up every point. Probably why Microsoft later switched to real currency so they can do the 99 cent thing to make it nearly impossible to completely zero the money on the account. ;)

I'll probably do what I was originally going to do with the Wii (Before ignoring their digital store entirely.) Assuming they have prepaid cards available for it (I'll instant-ignore it if they require credit cards and/or paypal) I'll probably buy one or two of them. And what I buy out of that will be it. A bit of a customization of the console with a few games I know I'll enjoy. I did that with the 360 actually. 40 dollars worth of cards (so two 2000 point cards I believe) and I actually managed to use up every point. Probably why Microsoft later switched to real currency so they can do the 99 cent thing to make it nearly impossible to completely zero the money on the account. ;)

Or, you know, buy a $20 eShop card at the store for $20 +tax, then get charged sales tax for your $20 worth of games. At least using a credit card on the 3DS/Wii-U, there was no "double dipping" regarding state and local taxes.

Nintendo also got two Humble Bundles (the only console maker that did this so far) and some good eShop sales. I'm all digital so this is how I like my games.

I'm all physical so this isn't how I like my games. I'll do digital if I have to. I don't really like clutter, but I also like to keep my money. So when I get bored with a console or game, I like to be able to get some of my money back. I'm hoping the Switch will slow down my switching. I do keep a few consoles around permanently, but occasionally I get an itch to try a strange old retro game or console. I guess with most old retro consoles I don't have to worry about it being digital only.[emoji3] Edited by adamchevy

The Humble Bundles were genius and mind blown Nintendo got its head out of its arse and went along with it, and more than once too. I didn't buy into the 2nd round they did as it had little I cared about and being picky about buying games locked to a system I dodged it, but that first one I grabbed that one and got some good fun out of like what 12 games for $5? Totally low enough for me to not care if a few didn't end up being fun for me. Between that and the oddball cheapo sales Nintendo themselves did by the month for a stretch I did get some goodies both on WiiU and 3DS.

• Like 1

I simply do not believe they would be that assinine to require a 3rd party smart device to connect the Switch to the internet. Has this not been debunked yet?

I, and numerous other gamers, believe it or not, do not own Android or iOS devices, or do not wish to sync them to our game consoles.

Fact: The Switch tablet has a 1/8" TRRS plug for use with wired gaming headsets. Third parties are already offering Switch wired headsets.

Funbling two devices while gaming instead of one is cumbersome. I fail to see how an android or iOS device is needed for any type of online connectivity not already possible with the Switch hardware, browsing and streaming apps aside. I've read the devkit leaks, and there is an html5 browser "applet" built into the system, only it is not user accessible and only called upon by apps, to access greenlisted content. I seriously doubt Nintendo would be so stubborn as to require an account on external smart device to ie participate in randomized online matches in games like Mario Kart or Splatoon.

We've discussed this before. I think you're in the minority at this point by not owning an Android or iOS device. Yes, it's unclear how much it will lean on a smartphone app beyond the stated voice chat and matchmaking, but, it's definitely something that appears to be needed for full functionality. Maybe they will allow for anonymous matchmaking, etc., straight from the console, which will satisfy the minority of people who either don't have a smartphone, don't want to bother with an app, or don't mind random online gaming.

At this point, I don't think I'll care one way or the other (I'm not a big online gamer), although I agree 100% that it's absolutely bizarre Nintendo is not going to have full online functionality onboard.

The Humble Bundles were genius and mind blown Nintendo got its head out of its arse and went along with it, and more than once too. I didn't buy into the 2nd round they did as it had little I cared about and being picky about buying games locked to a system I dodged it, but that first one I grabbed that one and got some good fun out of like what 12 games for $5? Totally low enough for me to not care if a few didn't end up being fun for me. Between that and the oddball cheapo sales Nintendo themselves did by the month for a stretch I did get some goodies both on WiiU and 3DS.

Holy crap. Thanks for reminding me about Humble Bundle. They have a Civilization bundle at the moment. I still haven't played all the Total War games I got a while back.

I simply do not believe they would be that assinine to require a 3rd party smart device to connect the Switch to the internet. Has this not been debunked yet?

I, and numerous other gamers, believe it or not, do not own Android or iOS devices, or do not wish to sync them to our game consoles.

Fact: The Switch tablet has a 1/8" TRRS plug for use with wired gaming headsets. Third parties are already offering Switch wired headsets.

Funbling two devices while gaming instead of one is cumbersome. I fail to see how an android or iOS device is needed for any type of online connectivity not already possible with the Switch hardware, browsing and streaming apps aside. I've read the devkit leaks, and there is an html5 browser "applet" built into the system, only it is not user accessible and only called upon by apps, to access greenlisted content. I seriously doubt Nintendo would be so stubborn as to require an account on external smart device to ie participate in randomized online matches in games like Mario Kart or Splatoon.

Biggest issue is no bluetooth, and, with the headphone jack in main system, when docked, you are gonna need a long headset cable. And, if there is online chat, you will have no choice but to have a wired headset with mic and a really long cable.I assume that is why they are intending on making it your problem and the need for ios or android device. I would think, a BT adapter can be used in headphone jack though. In any case, a really shitty way to do it so I hope nobody is expecting this thing to really have a great online element because it's pretty clear no thought about it was actually part of the build and design process.

• Like 1

Or, you know, buy a $20 eShop card at the store for $20 +tax, then get charged sales tax for your $20 worth of games. At least using a credit card on the 3DS/Wii-U, there was no "double dipping" regarding state and local taxes.

I prefer the other side of the coin. By not using a credit card for optional entertainment, I don't have to worry about how well or how poorly Nintendo is protecting my personal information I'm entrusting to them. And don't have to worry about whether or not they'll make it hard to stop making recurring payments on the card. If they don't have prepaid cards made available (And they likely will, given they already do them in a messy way for all their previous systems lately) then I'm not going to be bothered in the slightest by not giving them extra money, but they had better make sure they have physical releases for enough games to make the console worth the purchase.

• Like 1

We've discussed this before. I think you're in the minority at this point by not owning an Android or iOS device. Yes, it's unclear how much it will lean on a smartphone app beyond the stated voice chat and matchmaking, but, it's definitely something that appears to be needed for full functionality. Maybe they will allow for anonymous matchmaking, etc., straight from the console, which will satisfy the minority of people who either don't have a smartphone, don't want to bother with an app, or don't mind random online gaming.

At this point, I don't think I'll care one way or the other (I'm not a big online gamer), although I agree 100% that it's absolutely bizarre Nintendo is not going to have full online functionality onboard.

Multiple users on Nintendo Life stated they do not own smart devices either. I have no idea if they were adults or not. I use a flip phone for talk/text (and it's old as crap but I can still browse AtariAge on it when my DSL craps out), any other "online stuff" I need to do, file manipulation, etc, I can use a PC for. Sadly my laptop has busted screen so I can only tether it to a TV or external display. Sometimes I use my Wii-U gamepad to web surf from the bed when I don't feel like getting on the decktop. I'm sick of all the devices companies put out, that you need a smart app for instead of a dedicated control device. Drones for instance. Did you know the BB8 ball drone app will only be available through May 2018? So if someone buys one at a thrift store in 2020, it will be bricked as they won't be able to connect to it. And none of this new tech, or very little of it, comes with PC software anymore. All BT and smart devices, and when they discontinue the app, you lose functionality of the device. But I digress...

I get the parental controls app they plan on releasing for parents to monitor their kid's activity. But I can't imagine them not doing online without a companion app. I honestly could care less with voice chat. If it's full of swearing 12 year olds like rumors I've heard of the Xbox Call of Duty / Halo servers, I could care less about it. But if it turns out that I can't play Mario Kart 8 with random strangers online without downloading a smart app, I will have lost faith in Nintendo as a games company at that point. I'm pretty certain the "app" is just an alternate method to manage stuff while you're away from the console, and I can't imagine using a smart phone app (for the 90% of people who own one) in conjunction with the game console could possibly be more convenient than just using said functionality on the Switch tablet itself.

Kosmic, I don't own one, either.

What's your username at NintendoLife? I post a bit in the Virtual Console forum from time to time, but avoid other areas since the userbase is a bit too reminiscent of GameFaqs for me and the moderator's hatred of relevant bumps of older threads annoys me.

If I have a question about subject A and search and didn't get my answer, but found an older thread that's closely related, in my book it's always proper etiquette to revive that thread rather than create one from scratch.

• Like 2

That's BS. At least in the crooked state of Illinois you don't pay for taxes when you buy the card. Paying taxes for something you don't own at all is even more BS though!

Biggest issue is no bluetooth, and, with the headphone jack in main system, when docked, you are gonna need a long headset cable. And, if there is online chat, you will have no choice but to have a wired headset with mic and a really long cable.I assume that is why they are intending on making it your problem and the need for ios or android device. I would think, a BT adapter can be used in headphone jack though. In any case, a really shitty way to do it so I hope nobody is expecting this thing to really have a great online element because it's pretty clear no thought about it was actually part of the build and design process.

Maybe a USB-C headphone adapter could work with a firmware update to be plugged in the Pro-controller's charging port.

Multiple users on Nintendo Life stated they do not own smart devices either. I have no idea if they were adults or not. I use a flip phone for talk/text (and it's old as crap but I can still browse AtariAge on it when my DSL craps out), any other "online stuff" I need to do, file manipulation, etc, I can use a PC for. Sadly my laptop has busted screen so I can only tether it to a TV or external display. Sometimes I use my Wii-U gamepad to web surf from the bed when I don't feel like getting on the decktop. I'm sick of all the devices companies put out, that you need a smart app for instead of a dedicated control device. Drones for instance. Did you know the BB8 ball drone app will only be available through May 2018? So if someone buys one at a thrift store in 2020, it will be bricked as they won't be able to connect to it. And none of this new tech, or very little of it, comes with PC software anymore. All BT and smart devices, and when they discontinue the app, you lose functionality of the device. But I digress...

I get the parental controls app they plan on releasing for parents to monitor their kid's activity. But I can't imagine them not doing online without a companion app. I honestly could care less with voice chat. If it's full of swearing 12 year olds like rumors I've heard of the Xbox Call of Duty / Halo servers, I could care less about it. But if it turns out that I can't play Mario Kart 8 with random strangers online without downloading a smart app, I will have lost faith in Nintendo as a games company at that point. I'm pretty certain the "app" is just an alternate method to manage stuff while you're away from the console, and I can't imagine using a smart phone app (for the 90% of people who own one) in conjunction with the game console could possibly be more convenient than just using said functionality on the Switch tablet itself.

I would find it kind of entertaining if you used two TV's, one for your Switch and one for sideloading this app to your OUYA to avoid a phone or tablet. The OUYA makes me think of a cool idea for a game, The Pinball Arcade HD Rumble Collection. Maybe they can make it feel like a miniature pinball machine in your hands where you feel the ball rolling and bouncing around.

IF this is believed to be true, MEGA SCORE Nintendo thank you very much.

The Nintendo Switch as you set it up as some initialization screens with very fine print. One piece of it says:

Your Nintendo Account contains your Nintendo eShop purchase history and current balance. By re-linking your Nintendo Account after initializing the console. It will be possible to redownload any software or DLC purchased using that account. (Software that has been discontinued may not be available for redownload in some cases.)

Score! Bring up the eshop, bring on the virtual console. I had some nice stuff I picked up on WiiU I lost when I tossed the system into the resale market to be done with it. F-Zero, Earthbound, Super Metroid, D&D Mystaria, and various others. This pleases me.

Source: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/nintendo-is-finally-making-the-eshop-change-everyone-wants/

• Like 1

It seems like it could be a little while before we can actually use that feature, since Virtual Console won't be on the Switch at launch, but I sure hope that's correct. It would make the very recently launched N64 games on the Wii U Virtual Console make a lot more sense.

We are so starved for sane Nintendo decisions that this feels like and oasis in the desert.

That's BS. At least in the crooked state of Illinois you don't pay for taxes when you buy the card. Paying taxes for something you don't own at all is even more BS though!

If you set up your profile and declare that you are from New Hampshire or another state that doesn't impose sales tax, you won't get hit. Not that I would ever do that of course! :D

• Like 1

The real fun begins when the hackers get their hooks into the system and see how long it takes for them to put homebrews and emulators on it. I give it a week before somebody puts an NES emulator and plays the original Zelda ROM on it. As a matter of fact the Switch would be good for playing 2600 games considering the social aspect Nintendo is angling for. Combat anyone?

In addition, the removable controllers aspect would be perfect for certain games. Want to play Tempest on MAME? Snap in a controller with a rotary knob (assuming somebody makes one). The Switch is going to be one very interesting console indeed.

• Like 2

Kosmic, I don't own one, either.

What's your username at NintendoLife? I post a bit in the Virtual Console forum from time to time, but avoid other areas since the userbase is a bit too reminiscent of GameFaqs for me and the moderator's hatred of relevant bumps of older threads annoys me.

If I have a question about subject A and search and didn't get my answer, but found an older thread that's closely related, in my book it's always proper etiquette to revive that thread rather than create one from scratch.

StarDust4Ever, my old username from here. I've been on NLife since 2007 when it was VC-forums and later Wiiware-world. Even after the merger it was a quiet, happy place, but it's gotten larger over time. I liked it as one of the few Nintendo centric sites, who also covers retro, although they do have a sister site Push Square that I rarely visit. I think I liked it better when it was smaller though.

IF this is believed to be true, MEGA SCORE Nintendo thank you very much.

The Nintendo Switch as you set it up as some initialization screens with very fine print. One piece of it says:

Your Nintendo Account contains your Nintendo eShop purchase history and current balance. By re-linking your Nintendo Account after initializing the console. It will be possible to redownload any software or DLC purchased using that account. (Software that has been discontinued may not be available for redownload in some cases.)

Score! Bring up the eshop, bring on the virtual console. I had some nice stuff I picked up on WiiU I lost when I tossed the system into the resale market to be done with it. F-Zero, Earthbound, Super Metroid, D&D Mystaria, and various others. This pleases me.

Source: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/nintendo-is-finally-making-the-eshop-change-everyone-wants/

Yes, lose your Switch or get multiple units, and you can swap software around, though logging in with one presumably disables the other when you connect to the internet. I hope they come up with a sync system for users with multiple consoles, but I digress. It is a step in the right direction by Nintendo to tie purchases to an account, and every Wii-U purchase I've ever made, and ever 3DS purchase since my Dec 10th, 2013 account merger, is viewable online. so when Nintendo inevitably adds VC, I see no reason for them not to give cross buy discounts. :thumbsup:

If you set up your profile and declare that you are from New Hampshire or another state that doesn't impose sales tax, you won't get hit. Not that I would ever do that of course! :D

I toyed with the idea of cheating sales tax for a while (my choice would have been Barrow Alaska, the northernmost zip code, and in the Arctic circle) but I eventually decided against it and used my home city / state because I realized I have to enter my Zip Code anyway, meaning my eShop location and my credit card clearly wouldn't match, and would just be totally lame, and risk get busted for tax fraud just to try and save a couple measly bucks. Also my state is hemorrhaging money. Amazon recently voluntarily started collecting sales tax in my state, so's writing on the wall that the online loophole is coming to a close. When eBay starts collecting sales tax in all states that collect it, we'll know it's over.

First portable mode only game confirmed (because it requires a touchscreen): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348059

That was fast.

I wonder if we'll ever see a console-only mode game? I doubt it, but I suppose one way that might be something that would happen is if a game was optimized for the dock, meaning, it could in theory work in portable mode, but with a significantly reduced feature-set and/or limited modes accessible. Sort of like Perfect Dark with/without the RAM pack on the N64.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see many more handheld-only ports of touchscreen hits like Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja, and other things like that.

I'd love for my fantasy X-Wing game to be "enhanced in handheld mode" to allow it to use the touchscreen for extra controls. I'm holding out hope there's a Switch exclusive to line up with Star Wars 8 at the end of this year. The secret release of Rogue Leader many years ago was extra awesome, I'd love for them to do that again.

Dock-only console game? I kinda hope not ... mainly because I'm a fan of the handheld mode and would hate for them to compromise their main feature like that.

Then again, there were several big Wii U games that skipped using the tablet screen for anything at all, so maybe they'll do that occasionally to adapt to market conditions or something. A 3D MMO that requires constant connection and sucks the life out of the battery could be "strongly recommended" to play on the dock. I certainly have iPhone/iPad games like that, which really only make sense on the big screen due to their battery burning processing.

First portable mode only game confirmed (because it requires a touchscreen): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348059

That was fast.

I wonder if we'll ever see a console-only mode game? I doubt it, but I suppose one way that might be something that would happen is if a game was optimized for the dock, meaning, it could in theory work in portable mode, but with a significantly reduced feature-set and/or limited modes accessible. Sort of like Perfect Dark with/without the RAM pack on the N64.

Terrible news, the last thing I wanted was any sort of touch screen only functionality to kill the home console side that was presented to me.

Didn't Nintendo announce somewhere officially that all games must be played home/on the go both? I'm almost positive of this ("on the go and in the dock" seems to me how it was presented?). It's what made me and a friend excited because the last thing we wanted were some dumbass touch controls on a home console or half a library of shit I can't play on my TV. This is why I don't play 3DS games, and I don't want that to overrun to Switch. I already thought yesterday of how poor a New Super Mario Bros. game is gonna be without a proper d-pad and now Nintendo may be committed to inserting touch schemes into their games still?

If I hadn't managed to get a pre-order on this thing that took time, effort and a bit of sleep loss, I would give absolutely zero fucks about me not owning this system at launch and wait for a sunnier (cheaper) day.

• Like 2