IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

Also diagonal stick better? Meh! Never liked that layout ever, always been a dual shock fan and was happy to see Nintendo go with it. I can't even see it holding the Switch how you could do Y+B and mash the R button unless you've got hooves instead of fingers. You shouldn't be moving your finger when using your thumb.

My primary issue with the Joycon is not hitting the R stick when attempting to mash B+Y. Those action buttons are tiny. Pro fits like a glove.

I really don't understand, on any dual analogue controller, how you're expected to do things where the right stick and a face button must be held at the same time. For example, in BotW, with the WiiU gamepad, if I'm running I will hold the B button with my thumb, and do this convoluted maneuver with my pointer finger on the analogue stick.

Surely this can't be how everyone else does it??

Since the R stick is primarily used for the POV hat, the game is smart enough that it gives you a bit of view in front of your character most of the time, so it's a non-issue unless you are aiming an arrow or something. Since R is used to throw weapon and ZR is used to aim arrow, aided by motion control for fine tuning, it leaves your thumb free to access the R stick.

There is a reason why shoot arrow and throw weapon were not assigned to the diamond pad. When B running or X jumping, the camera does a commendable effort to follow Link, and Y attack pretty much auto-targets the closest enemy. A just puts away the current weapon, so not really sure where it's essential to use the face buttons while aiming with R stick, since targeting commands rely on the triggers.

My Pro controller has no Dpad issues, Best Buy preorder. I do, however, get occasional missed inputs with the analogs on the Joycon and revert to using the d-buttons for menu navigation and such.

I imagine SFII would be awful on the Joycon, whether using D-buttons or analog stick. The buttons work well for Puyo / Tetris though.

dude you can play tetris with coat hangers glued to drumsticks, that's not a complement

Holding the B button to run. AFAIK, the camera does not automatically adjust as in previous games.

Index finger mash B. Thump tilt R-stick......

Holding the B button to run. AFAIK, the camera does not automatically adjust as in previous games.

I dunno man. Mah closet's looking kinda bare. If I had spare hangars, I'd try it out...

EDIT: Cinco de Mayo 2017, bidges!!! :grin:

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

Index finger mash B. Thump tilt R-stick......

"Mash" B? I've never tried that.

I feel like the design of the WiiU gamepad would make it even more difficult to play with the finger roles reversed =)

nintendo-wii-u-gamepad.jpg

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

Anyone else mildly annoyed that Nintendo puts A (go) on the east button and B (back) on the south button, while Microsoft and Apple and others reverse this configuration? It's made it a minor bitch to get back into Nintendo.

No because Nintendo did that several years before Sony and Microsoft. It was the other companies that did it to be different.

• Like 1

Anyone else mildly annoyed that Nintendo puts A (go) on the east button and B (back) on the south button, while Microsoft and Apple and others reverse this configuration? It's made it a minor bitch to get back into Nintendo.

It annoys me that other companies reversed it, yes. Especially Playstation, because that was a USA-only decision, the original Japanese games weren't that way.

• Like 1

I tend to flip the binds if I can in non-Nintendo games. The vita allowed this in PSX games. I played loads of JRPGs which used O for accept instead of X for a while. Granted, that was a long freaking time ago and yeah, probably best to fall in line. Get the easy stuff right when it comes to customer irritation.

It annoys me that other companies reversed it, yes. Especially Playstation, because that was a USA-only decision, the original Japanese games weren't that way.

You mean like in early PSX games, where they used O (east) for go and X (south) for back?

I don't think one is inherently right or wrong, but switching between them seems dumb in 2017.

I don't care who did it first. As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo should fall in line because it's a more logical pattern. The other companies could easily follow Nintendo's lead. There's a reason that they don't.

How is it more logical? To me, it has always been "B for Back, A for Accept".

Sega was always doing its own thing, and the Dreamcast changed things a little when they dropped the C and Z buttons (which XBox copied), but for Sony of America to decide to swap tradition doesn't seem to make any sense.

• Like 2

The positioning is fine. Nintendo created it, stuck with it since 1991. Just because some other guys came along later and decided to flip them the bird and swap the things didn't make it any better or any more right. All it did was cause a lot of muscle memory issues/confusion for those who started with or stuck with Nintendo. Nintendo shouldn't have to conform to what some me-too followers did after just because, that's silly. They've designed their games a specific way with controls over 25 years and set a standard with it that stands to date, so why go and screw up something that works? People should either just get used to it or ignore it, there's no other real answer here.

Asaki's right, other people changed it, and even more specifically lame Sony for the US version of the Playstation alone did it while the Japanese stuck to the standard Nintendo set up years earlier.

Also if you think about it, in quite a few games for Nintendo the Y button had kind of overridden quite a few functions that A used to do as it's easier to rock a thumb up/down a little than side to side for B-A.

• Like 2

standards and tradition

LOL

I mean seriously, where was the world conference on video game input layout, (thumbs though ANSI standards, not there), and for tradition, having never owned a nintendo system until the game boy advance came out, its not traditional for me

just get used to what buttons do on a console and get over it, its seriously not a big deal

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Also if you think about it, in quite a few games for Nintendo the Y button had kind of overridden quite a few functions that A used to do as it's easier to rock a thumb up/down a little than side to side for B-A.

I know I'm a minority on this issue, but B+A is IMO more intuitive than Y+B. Look at the original Dog Bone, and the classic Game Boy.

I know I'm a minority on this issue, but B+A is IMO more intuitive than Y+B. Look at the original Dog Bone, and the classic Game Boy.

Takes less muscle movement, seriously try it, rock your thumb left and right a mm, now flex it forward and back, you can feel it takes more muscle movement to do one over the other

• Like 1

Takes less muscle movement, seriously try it, rock your thumb left and right a mm, now flex it forward and back, you can feel it takes more muscle movement to do one over the other

A+B is definitely easier to do if you have fat-ass man thumbs. The fact I keep nudging the right stick on the Joycon whenever I attempt to mash B+Y further compounds the issue. This issue is non-existent on the Pro controller with it's diagonally offset sticks and full size diamond pad... :P

Not saying I don't agree with that. I've been through all their systems. I just pointed out Nintendo has had a habit since the SNES of making Y a mirror of A if possible or replacing it depending on the game (or in the Super Gameboy too.)

Not sure if stuff like this was mention in the previous 89 pages but I finally fired up my Switch tonight for the first time and I'm a little worried and a little pissed. Looks like I have some screen issues. Disappearing and blinking lines, and then ghosting text (pic 2, top right corner).

post-4026-0-02272800-1494129276_thumb.jpeg

post-4026-0-81024800-1494129305_thumb.jpeg

Position, not labeling.

Even position is not that logical. I find more logical for the 'accept' button to be more difficult to reach than the 'cancel' button, since it is always safer to cancel by accident (most of the time you can accept later) than to accept by accident.

And since you can already customize the button layout on PlayStation 4, I really don't understand why Sony doesn't allow to flip X and O buttons for menus. It is not only a pain in the *** for people who switch between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft consoles on a regular basis, but also for PlayStation owners who import games from Japan, or own a Japanese system.

I am really sorry that the universe has caused you so much greif, it really is a hardship to keep track of what buttons do what on all 3 current gen gaming consoles, when should we schedule the counselor?

Technology-is-hard--meme-45362.jpg

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Geeze, it's just a button. It's no different than switching between Y+B and B+A schemes. Yes we all have muscle memory, but it only takes like two minutes to adjust to the menus between one game and another.

Like how Twilight Princess HD and Zelda Breath of the Wild use different buttons for run and attack. Took me two minutes to adjust between games.