IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

I like the carts and that they distanced themselves from the Wii name. It looks interesting but I think price will be a major factor with this system.

Hard to say whether the Wii name is good or bad. Wii U was definitely smacking of disappointment. But Wii? Well - 102 million consoles sold.

That said, I like the name too.

I think price will be important as well. More importantly, it needs killer Nintendo titles that show it off, at launch. I consider that - far and away - the biggest failure of the Wii U. Nothing out of the gate to really say, "Man - I need to buy that console" and then it took years for franchises to show up.

I'd say $75-$100 less to be competitive. I'm sure a lot of big developers are shaking their heads at the carts and we won't be seeing a lot of cross system big name games.

I wonder what its built in storage is? With more and more downloadable games and content, it might not be that big of a deal.

It looks interesting. I'd like to see more on the capabilities of the system and whether or not games can perform close enough to the PS4 and Xbox One to entice third party support. Nintendo proved with the Wii U that they cannot produce enough content on their own to sustain a game console in the current market. They need these big third party releases. Skyrim is a good start.

What I really want to know is if the Wii U will end up on clearance. I'll snag one for the right price.

• Like 1

I rather like the multi-player/multi-console capability (not that I would ever have an occasion to use it).

I would want to see the screen size on the portable version before I made a purchase decision. Most portable screens are just too bloody small.

Do we know if the base unit and the portable screen are all included in the same bundle, or are they considered separate components, e.g. if I am only interested in a home gaming console, can I save money and forego purchasing the screen?

Seems to me that the base unit is a passive dock with power and HDMI connections, and the brains of the unit are in the screen, how could it be otherwise?

• Like 2

its got a healthy dose of nintendo gimick, screen looks small, and they are showing me games I already grew bored of

lets see what happens on release but based on that "make me puke, yuppies playing video games on their city rooftop paradise" trailer, im not excited

its got a healthy dose of nintendo gimick, screen looks small, and they are showing me games I already grew bored of

lets see what happens on release but based on that "make me puke, yuppies playing video games on their city rooftop paradise" trailer, im not excited

I was mostly thinking 'You set that on a rooftop table and I don't see any sort of screen protector?!'

its got a healthy dose of nintendo gimick, screen looks small,

Odd, I was actually thinking it looked too big for a portable. My 3DS XL is about the largest thing I'd want to try to lug around on a plane. But, it seems the trend is toward bigger screens, as seen by the phablet craze.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a such thing as "too small" too.

• Like 2

When all the rumors and mock-ups were floating around a bit ago, the one I was most interested was the one that has turned out to be real- a unit you can pop mini controllers off of, set up on a table, and play as a portable console. Not a handheld- a portable console. I can definitely see myself taking this to work when I have between-shift time to kill. Other thoughts:

I definitely want to see more of that base piece. My entertainment center is limited on space, so I really need a good idea of what plugs where & how big it is, just to know if it'll fit.

That snoopy-shaped bit you plug the mini controllers into looks very uncomfortable. Glad there's a standard option, hope you can use it in place of the minis. Unlike the Wii U, which forces you to use the Gamepad even if you don't need to for that game.

I wonder if this'll do media streaming? Obviously you can't stick a blu-ray in it.

Waiting for an official launch game lineup. The ones in the teaser look fine, & I'm sure they could sell gangbusters on Zelda & Mario alone... but that's not what I need to pick up a new system. I want something unique!

• Like 1

When all the rumors and mock-ups were floating around a bit ago, the one I was most interested was the one that has turned out to be real- a unit you can pop mini controllers off of, set up on a table, and play as a portable console. Not a handheld- a portable console. I can definitely see myself taking this to work when I have between-shift time to kill. Other thoughts:

I definitely want to see more of that base piece. My entertainment center is limited on space, so I really need a good idea of what plugs where & how big it is, just to know if it'll fit.

That snoopy-shaped bit you plug the mini controllers into looks very uncomfortable. Glad there's a standard option, hope you can use it in place of the minis. Unlike the Wii U, which forces you to use the Gamepad even if you don't need to for that game.

I wonder if this'll do media streaming? Obviously you can't stick a blu-ray in it.

Waiting for an official launch game lineup. The ones in the teaser look fine, & I'm sure they could sell gangbusters on Zelda & Mario alone... but that's not what I need to pick up a new system. I want something unique!

Similar thoughts. I'm also running low on HDMI ports, and you can only buy so many switches. This thing is going to have to fight to get a spot under my TV.

Media streaming isn't a big deal to me, but I'd like to know I could play ripped BluRays on it. That would be a big plus.

I dig it a lot, and can easily see myself picking it up at launch. Glad they did away with the silly dual-screen gimmick of the Wii U. Seeing NBA and Skyrim is a good start, hoping this means 3rd party support is stronger than previous consoles. Carts are a bit strange, but make sense when you realize the system is a handheld too. Wonder what the battery life will look like?

Either way, I feel it's a step in the right direction for the big N. Instead of trying to slug it out with Sony and Microsoft, they're just approaching gaming from a different angle. I like that, and really it's the way things will end up anyway. I have a hard time imagining, with the gains in power mobile devices are making, that in the future people will have a console and a handheld. It's all going to end up being the same anyway.

It's basically a tablet bundled with controllers and fewer games than its Android counterparts. Looks nice. Going to be too expensive. £150 or less then it stands a chance. Given Nintendo's recent history, I'm guessing it will launch at around £220 so that it's just marginally cheaper than an Xbone/PS4. What chipset is it using?

Not really feeling anything for it.

• Like 1

I'll probably buy it, but it seems pretty typical modern Nintendo to me in a lot of ways. Kind of gimmicky, seems a bit underpowered, tries to play off past successes but in kind of a clumsy way that's trying to be a jack of all trades, but is probably the master of none.

To me it's basically a giant handheld with detachable controllers and a dock. Performance in the videos I've seen looks about on par with what you'd expect from a new handheld in 2017. Which is to say not all that impressive compared to other home consoles or of course PC's. As a handheld, though, I'm sure it'll be great. But it's just huge, especially with the controllers attached. Nintendo used to make the argument that you'd buy their handhelds because they were more portable than competitors, but they won't be able to make that argument with this thing.

A few things about that promo video struck me as odd:

- No kids shown at all, just beautiful young people out and about (though they seem VERY attached to their games)

- A big flat portable screen, but no one touching it, ever. It was all about the snap-on controllers.

- Those sliding connections must be AMAZINGLY durable for the abuse this thing is going to take.

There aren't enough details to sway me one way or another, but I have this sinking feeling that I'm just not into this type of game anymore. I mostly play retro and mobile stuff and I've been that way for years. Something that demands all my time and attention is not something I want right now.

I just baked a RetroPie yesterday, so I'm not even into the NES Classic Mini either.

At least I have Mario Run to look forward to!

• Like 4

Possibly he's arguing that being a console is a gimmick in itself and PCs are some kind of platonic ideal that all gamers should accept as their lord and savior by that superior logic. It's an argument I've heard time and time again.

Nothing wrong with gimmicks as i do agree all consoles are gimmicks, as it's basically impossible to make a top of a line computer for around 200-300 dollars

Every console has their own personal weaknesses and strength and Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all like to reveal their own Gimmicks to push systems.

GIMMICKS can be fun, and i'm not knocking consoles

Much like buying System on a Chip that locked down with 30 or 50 old game roms its still a Gimmick but if you like the Games and have fun it doesn't really matter

• Like 1