IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

When did I dismiss him as a great man who gives back to society? Just because someone likes video games doesn't change the caliber of person they are. Your suggesting that because I mentioned that he endorses Nintendo that I was making fun of his profession. That's just nonsense . Anyway, this is a ridiculous use of precious gaming time. I don't care for your misplaced insults, and I never meant any towards you.

I've got an early Christmas Present for You:

Sorry to interrupt y'alls ... er... whatever you guys are doing, but I gotta say... thank you! That video was friggin' awesome!!

Edited by malrak
  • Like 2

I don't see the big deal. A lot of gamers may use the Switch on the TV as well as on the go, so pick-up-and-play touch style mobile games strictly on the go or portable mode, and epic AAA blockbusters that you sit and play for hours and squeeze every bit of horsepower muscle out of the Switch that need docked only (or otherwise be a massive battery drainer with frame rate stutters and other poor user experience if devs shoehorned it into handheld mode), I could see coexisting together on the shelf or even in a gamer's library. Packaging would need very clear markings "docked mode only" or "portable mode only" printed on the packaging or shown prominently on the eShop page so that gamers would know what they are buying. If a particular game specifically needs one mode or the other, I could see the Switch accommodating this for gamers with multiple play styles. And it would be customer's discretion if the game did not support the modes the gamer was most comfortable playing in.

I don't think a docked mode only game should be allowed because every game should be playable on the Switch's screen and what if this time Nintendo lucks out by actually getting good AAA third party support but the devs decide to be lazy by making most of them docked only? That would totally go against a home console that you could take on the go because it could end up causing most games to not be taken on the go with two different experiences for docked and undocked. If Nintendo is going to go about it that way by fragmenting the install base then they might as well not have made a hybrid and just made two separate consoles again. A touched based only game that can't be any other way I can get being handheld mode only because it does nothing to harm the experience of those who prefer to leave their consoles docked because it would be a game they aren't even interested in playing in the first place. On the other hand, controller based console style games that are only handheld mode or only TV mode would cause harm for those who prefer either of those modes and/or both. If devs can be expected to make games work on the PS4 Pro and the PS4 then the same standard should apply to the Switch by them being expected to make games work on the dock and in handheld mode. Besides, Nintendo has made it a little easier to support handheld mode because they added a 25% boost mode for handheld mode. Anyway, if for some reason a game designed for TV mode somehow couldn't be playable in handheld mode just like a touch based game couldn't be playable in TV mode then I think it would be better for Nintendo to change handheld mode to be able to run with the same power as TV mode with a recommendation to either play it while plugged into a power outlet or an external USB battery than to allow the game to be TV mode only because even though using external power isn't an ideal solution it is still a better solution than the game not being playable at all in handheld mode. Or not even allow the game at all if it will cause fragmentation between the home console and handheld console install base.

As a side note to this, Nintendo could probably later down the road create a more premium SKU just by swapping out the battery for a better one, swap out the 32GB internal storage for 64GB or more and/or just include a micro SD card for external storage like they do for 3DS, and allow this version to run at the same specs in handheld mode as it would docked. That could be relatively easy to do considering that the internals are modular and it would provide better performance without even needing a next generation Tegra SOC by just allowing it to perform better in handheld mode.

• Like 2

I agree, I see zero room for console only Switch releases while seeing no harm in handheld exclusives that simply couldn't exist or work well on a television screen away from a touch screen.

I really don't think we have much to worry about here. Retail releases that require the touch screen will be few and far between I bet, with indies being the prime user of the option for games that simply wouldn't otherwise be possible.

Even something like the inevitable Super Mario Maker 2 seems hardly an issue. Will it be that much to ask the gamer when jumping into course creation to just get the system out of the dock to utilize the touch screen? Certainly is far better than eschewing it completely and making the gamer use the physical controls to lay out their course with.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Even something like the inevitable Super Mario Maker 2 seems hardly an issue. Will it be that much to ask the gamer when jumping into course creation to just get the system out of the dock to utilize the touch screen? Certainly is far better than eschewing it completely and making the gamer use the physical controls to lay out their course with.

Game designers have been using analog sticks for object manipulation for decades. I mean look at the level editor in Little Big Planet for PS3. Draw objects using the analog stick and use them in levels. Same thing as drawing it on a touch screen with your forefinger or a stylus.

• Like 1

I bet we will see Zelda Maker in a year or two. With joycon controls and optional touch.

• Like 2

The pre-day one review from Ars Technica has been posted: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-review/

It's mostly positive. on the flipside, it notes the relatively limited battery life in reference to screen brightness, the poor position of the USB-C charging connector, and the flimsy kickstand as some things to look out for. It also appears that Zelda does suffer from being an early title, in that there's some pop-in, which may or may not be the open world nature of the game overtaxing the system a bit, and some additional performance issues when docked (presumably because of the resolution bump; it would be nice to have the option to keep in 720 when docked so we could keep the performance curve smoother).

On a more serious note, it looks like the Bluetooth connectivity issues are still there, and it sounds like distance may play a factor. That doesn't bode well for my setup where my couch is 10 feet or so from my TV. Hopefully that gets sorted out with a patch.

On a personal note, it looks like my pre-order from Target will arrive between the 7th and 10th. The 3 games (Zelda, Bomberman, Isaac) I pre-ordered from Amazon still have no firm dates, although obviously Isaac is delayed by a few weeks. Hopefully I get at least one game before the system arrives.

Edited by BillLoguidice
  • Like 1

On a personal note, it looks like my pre-order from Target will arrive between the 7th and 10th. The 3 games (Zelda, Bomberman, Isaac) I pre-ordered from Amazon still have no firm dates, although obviously Isaac is delayed by a few weeks. Hopefully I get at least one game before the system arrives.

That doesn't seem like a pre-order. Why isn't it arriving on Friday the 3rd which is launch day? I'm counting on my Gamestop order arriving on time.

That doesn't seem like a pre-order. Why isn't it arriving on Friday the 3rd which is launch day? I'm counting on my Gamestop order arriving on time.

No big deal. I didn't want to pay extra for expedited shipping (free shipping was fine), and I tend to be busy on the weekends anyway.

I'm still not impressed enough with the Switch to buy it right away. Much like the Wii-U, I think I'm going to wait and see what comes out for it and if they drop the price after a year or two. The only game I'm interested in at the moment is Zelda and I'm getting that for the Wii-U. The new Mario game doesn't interest me at all, and that makes me sort of sad.

• Like 1

I'm still not impressed enough with the Switch to buy it right away. Much like the Wii-U, I think I'm going to wait and see what comes out for it and if they drop the price after a year or two. The only game I'm interested in at the moment is Zelda and I'm getting that for the Wii-U. The new Mario game doesn't interest me at all, and that makes me sort of sad.

I feel the same about the New Mario game. If I owned a Wii U, I would skip the Switch until a game I wanted to play came out. I think the indie titles are just filler.

The pre-day one review from Ars Technica has been posted: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-review/

It's mostly positive. on the flipside, it notes the relatively limited battery life in reference to screen brightness, the poor position of the USB-C charging connector, and the flimsy kickstand as some things to look out for. It also appears that Zelda does suffer from being an early title, in that there's some pop-in, which may or may not be the open world nature of the game overtaxing the system a bit, and some additional performance issues when docked (presumably because of the resolution bump; it would be nice to have the option to keep in 720 when docked so we could keep the performance curve smoother).

On a more serious note, it looks like the Bluetooth connectivity issues are still there, and it sounds like distance may play a factor. That doesn't bode well for my setup where my couch is 10 feet or so from my TV. Hopefully that gets sorted out with a patch.

Seems very similar to the Rerez review I watched this morning, mostly positive, with some issues and skepticism.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-nintendo-switch-review

Digital Foundry reviewed it too, didn't seem to feel a need to find reasons to complain about performance of games or Zelda in particular. They do cover quite a bit, same concerns mirrored about kickstand if you were to bump into it hard enough and the battery. They found you can attach a third party 10000mah battery to the device on the USB-C port and get nearly 7hours out of the device when mobile.

I'm curious how Best Buy handles stuff, I preordered there, I have a BBY code from them, but not another note from them since on what to do. I guess I'll just have to print that page up and go down there 9am on Friday and pick it up. I'll just bail from work and come back, hook it up, let it run it's updates and crap and then toy with it after work. I don't feel like I need to take time off for it.

Ditto. My Pro controller from Best Buy has already shipped (in store pickup was not available but the shipping was free) and I will be picking up everything else at Gamestop for the midnight launch.

I feel the same about the New Mario game. If I owned a Wii U, I would skip the Switch until a game I wanted to play came out. I think the indie titles are just filler.

I disagree. I have been waiting for a free-roaming Mario ever since M64 and Sunshine. If New Donk City turns out to be a hub world, it will replace Sunshine as my favorite hub world of all time... :cool:
  • Like 1

What I want to see is how Zelda stacks up between platforms.

There have already been several comparison videos. It's one of those "spot the difference" type of deals it seems to me. Other than lighting effects and load times, there appears little to distinguish the two. The Switch version is definitely better, but not in any appreciable way. If for some reason someone wants the Wii U version, it looks like they'll get the same base experience with minimal compromise.

• Like 2

Of the release versions?

I saw some attempts to compare the two with prerelease footage, but the Wii U footage was from the 2016 E3 build and quite possibly wasn't representative of the final product.

Edit: Found a couple of comparisons of the final versions, thanks. Glad to see how well the Wii U version compares, since that's how I'll be playing it at least the first time through.

Edited by Atariboy

I think they're great, I love indie games and mobile games too ... Switch is like the ultimate Vita in that respect. The sizzle reel for NIndies fills me with excitement. But yeah, seems like many people feel like you do.

I don't think all indies are crap. I will be buying everything Yacht club games has available on the Switch . I hope Nintendos seal of quality will weigh heavily on which indies they bring to their console.

• Like 1

So, now that launch is nearly 24 hours away, who will be the first joker to microwave one of these units and post video to youtube? That guy who solded the "nuked" New 3DS xL on eBay for $2200? Been awfully quiet ever since he promised to nuke the Golden Mario Amiibo but never posted video of it. Is he even still online, or has microwaving new tech devices fallen out of fashion somehow???

• Like 1

I don't think all indies are crap. I will be buying everything Yacht club games has available on the Switch . I hope Nintendos seal of quality will weigh heavily on which indies they bring to their console.

That "dead" indie game looked fascinating. Only thing in the trailer besides Bit trip, Steamworld dig 2, and Yooka-Laylee that remotely interested me as something unique and fun. Why no mention of 2DBoy/Tomorrow Corp? I for one am glad for strong indie support. Wii-U had surprisingly good indie cult following as well.