IGNORED

Atari ST/STE Low Res VGA Cable from coolnovelties.co.uk

cjameslv

So i been reading up on low res support vga cables. I decided to not get the one from Best or Retro as they both used a switch for high/low res and well they looked bulky and awkward with those heatshrinked large switches. So only other solution was just get separate cables for high and low res that also included a separate audio plug. I don't plan on using high res anytime soon as id rather use my STE for gaming. I ended up ordering this cable: http://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-st-video-cables/290-atari-st-to-vga-multi-sync-rgb-colour-monitor-cable.html#/audio_output-with_audio_output

It just arrived today and i had to test it out right away. Shipping took a couple weeks to the USA but that seems pretty standard. No tracking or shipping info other than it being marked shipped and an email stating it shipped. My first impression was, it is built very solid. The cable is thick and has some weight to it. The plugs are very nice and it snaps into place when you plug it into the back of the system. I use desktop pc speakers and the sound is alot better than using the sc1224. I am using a NEC 1970nx monitor until i mount my Hitachi 307xu on the wall. The low res picture is absolutely great. Medium resolution requires some tinkering with settings but it can be made to look just as good but i find the aspect ratio really odd looking.

So overall i am very pleased with this product and would recommend ordering it if you are looking for a low res vga cable solution.

Note - this is only available from their website and not on ebay. There is 2 versions as well, one with audio (linked above) and one without audio.

Attached below is a picture of the cable.

post-42412-0-92559600-1477003296_thumb.jpg

I was puzzling a bit (not owned an ST for a while) and thinking, if modern LCD TVs are TVs they sync to 15.6, but if they also have VGA inputs etc they must do 31.2... so do ANY of them accept all 3 ST video modes on a single cable/? Or is a switch still the only way and who still sells them? The usual suppliers all seem to have stopped

So i been reading up on low res support vga cables. I decided to not get the one from Best or Retro as they both used a switch for high/low res and well they looked bulky and awkward with those heatshrinked large switches. So only other solution was just get separate cables for high and low res that also included a separate audio plug. I don't plan on using high res anytime soon as id rather use my STE for gaming. I ended up ordering this cable: http://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-st-video-cables/290-atari-st-to-vga-multi-sync-rgb-colour-monitor-cable.html#/audio_output-with_audio_output

It just arrived today and i had to test it out right away. Shipping took a couple weeks to the USA but that seems pretty standard. No tracking or shipping info other than it being marked shipped and an email stating it shipped. My first impression was, it is built very solid. The cable is thick and has some weight to it. The plugs are very nice and it snaps into place when you plug it into the back of the system. I use desktop pc speakers and the sound is alot better than using the sc1224. I am using a NEC 1970nx monitor until i mount my Hitachi 307xu on the wall. The low res picture is absolutely great. Medium resolution requires some tinkering with settings but it can be made to look just as good but i find the aspect ratio really odd looking.

So overall i am very pleased with this product and would recommend ordering it if you are looking for a low res vga cable solution.

Note - this is only available from their website and not on ebay. There is 2 versions as well, one with audio (linked above) and one without audio.

Attached below is a picture of the cable.

Does it cost less for this vga cable than the one from Best?

I was puzzling a bit (not owned an ST for a while) and thinking, if modern LCD TVs are TVs they sync to 15.6, but if they also have VGA inputs etc they must do 31.2... so do ANY of them accept all 3 ST video modes on a single cable/? Or is a switch still the only way and who still sells them?

I can't speak for modern VGA monitors that sync down to that frequency, but my old CRT ones only need a single cable. One will need an in-line 4x switch to make the ST change from b/w to colour mode though (3 switches to connect the VGA RGB input lines to mono out on the ST, one to make the ST change from colour to mono mode)

• Like 1

I can't speak for modern VGA monitors that sync down to that frequency, but my old CRT ones only need a single cable. One will need an in-line 4x switch to make the ST change from b/w to colour mode though (3 switches to connect the VGA RGB input lines to mono out on the ST, one to make the ST change from colour to mono mode)

Thanks I'm gonna run it through a GBS8220 so just need to find a wiring diagram that shows me how to connect that switch. I'll wire the ST 14 pin to a standard VGA plug (and then join sync etc inside the GBS8220 casing). I guess I could put the switch in that case and make the cable simpler.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just ordered mine! Thank you very much for the recommendation!!

I purchased a supposed "manufacturer reconditioned" NEC Display Solutions 1970NX-R which was awesome because it was listed as "Beige", WHAT A FIND! Well, what I received was a Dark Blue NEC MultiSync 1970NX with crazing around the screen bezel like what you would find from blunt impact. It wasn't bagged or shipped in the retail package so it's likely handling damage. After about ten emails back and forth with their "Customer Service" outsource I have decided to keep it, not worth using the RMA that they finally sent to me since they would never even answer the question as to whether or not they ever even had the monitor that they had listed. BEWARE NewEgg!!!

Many have recommended the NEC 1970VX in past threads. Is there any difference between the VX and the NX that will effect the connection with this cable?

Thanks,

Michael

I just ordered mine! Thank you very much for the recommendation!!

I purchased a supposed "manufacturer reconditioned" NEC Display Solutions 1970NX-R which was awesome because it was listed as "Beige", WHAT A FIND! Well, what I received was a Dark Blue NEC MultiSync 1970NX with crazing around the screen bezel like what you would find from blunt impact. It wasn't bagged or shipped in the retail package so it's likely handling damage. After about ten emails back and forth with their "Customer Service" outsource I have decided to keep it, not worth using the RMA that they finally sent to me since they would never even answer the question as to whether or not they ever even had the monitor that they had listed. BEWARE NewEgg!!!

Many have recommended the NEC 1970VX in past threads. Is there any difference between the VX and the NX that will effect the connection with this cable?

Thanks,

Michael

I have both.

The NX has a built in USB hub, the VX does not.

Otherwise, they appear identical to me.

I've bought a Dell 2100FP, NEC 1970NX and BenQ BL912.

Screen wise, I think the BenQ is the nicest of them (it actually has the most fine tuning controls as well), but the Dell is cool because A) it also has S-Video/Composite (wow the 8-bit looks epic on it with s-video) and B) you can buy speakers that mount to the front.

I currently run my TT030 with the BenQ, and with the ECL adapter, I have TT High as well. But the Best cable works with all three monitors, but it was much more than 18 (I think it was like 50?)

• 2 weeks later...

I got this cable and hooked my Mega up to an NEC EA190M. While the desktop looks good in low res, it looks terrible in medium. Games look REALLY bad with washed out colors and vertical banding. Guess I'll need to try a different monitor or stick with good 'ol RGB CRT.

I got this cable and hooked my Mega up to an NEC EA190M. While the desktop looks good in low res, it looks terrible in medium. Games look REALLY bad with washed out colors and vertical banding. Guess I'll need to try a different monitor or stick with good 'ol RGB CRT.

Yeah Medium is an odd beast. I game in low res and everything is great. Let me know what you end up doing!

Yeah Medium is an odd beast. I game in low res and everything is great. Let me know what you end up doing!

Low-res looks terrible from the ST to the NEC EA190M -- lots of vertical banding and washed out colors. Funny thing, my Amiga looks fantastic connected to the same monitor. No vertical bands, bright, vivid colors. So it's either the ST video signal, or the cable. I'm contemplating buying a Best cable to see if that makes it better.

Edited by mattsoft

• 3 weeks later...

Does this mean that there's still no one-cable/adapter fits all solution for the poor ST? I had limited luck putting it through an old Viewsonic LCD 1600x900 screen a few years back, but hires was a bit yucky. I've just got back into it now, and was hoping someone might have stepped up and provided a solution by now :(

Does this mean that there's still no one-cable/adapter fits all solution for the poor ST? I had limited luck putting it through an old Viewsonic LCD 1600x900 screen a few years back, but hires was a bit yucky. I've just got back into it now, and was hoping someone might have stepped up and provided a solution by now :(

I think the Best cable is the one true cable/adapter as it does low/medium color and the hi-res monochrome. I'm not sure which monitor is the best though. I was hoping the NEC EA190M would be it as it has integrated speakers that (while not the best) are decent sounding and take up no additional space.

So nothing like the Amiga has for improving the display then? :( I've just dug out the STe from storage, and will crack her open later on to see where I'd got to above and beyond what's documented here (if anything).

I don't think there is an Atari ST equivalent to the Individual Computers Flickerfixer/Scandoubler for the Amiga. Which is too bad, because that board puts out a very nice image to a modern LCD TV/monitor.