IGNORED

From Extended Basic Program to FlashRom99 in 12 minutes and 20 seconds

Sinphaltimus

Quick and Dirty Video Tutorial:

Attached here is an mp4 video from start to finish summarizing the method and applications I choose to use.
They work for me assuming my code adheres to certain rules.

First, I use Classic99. Harry Wilhelm's compiler comes with it along with a guide. in your class99 folder you'll see the contributor's folder.

look in there for the docs.pdf and read them from start to finish. It's a full guide on how to get your AE5 file from your BASIC file as well as the rules you need to follow.

From there I take my compiled program in to TI99Dir and convert it to a V9T9 file.

Then I go in to Module creator to convert it in to a non inverted rom.

Then I copy the produced bin file to my flashrom99 sd card, plug it in to a ti-99/4a and choose my file from the list.

And it works, usually.

This mp4 video>>xb2fr99.zip<< shows you the entire process from start to finish in 12 minutes and 20 seconds.

• Like 6

It's not clear to me why you're converting the -B (???) and -C files to V9T9 when it seems the -A file is the only one used in Module Creator? I know I'm missing something here.

My guess is that module creator automatically loads in the -B and -C files because when I only do the -A (convert to v9t9 in ti99dir) then module creator will throw errors on the -B even though I only loaded the -A.

I noticed Harry's compiler/loader process seems to produce the -B in the background, without specific mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I thought you meant when I converted the -B and -C to v9t9. My bad.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Also, in the DSK options of classic99, you could simply select the Output files with V9T9 headers to completely remove the need for ti99dir. Which is what I'm doing now (as of yesterday). Someone (maybe Tursi) told me about this a while ago but I had forgotten about it until I was trying to enable DV files as Windows text and I noticed the option. Works great.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

For Classic99: Although it's sometimes useful to default a drive to output Windows text, for compatibility's sake I personally leave that option off and add ".?W." to the filename to force Windows only when I need it. (IE: DSK1.?W.FILENAME.TXT). But yeah, otherwise it can default to TIFILES or V9T9. TIFILES files have no restrictions on filename, V9T9 is limited to 10 characters and there are punctuation restrictions. For compatibility in V9T9 mode I recommend sticking to 8 characters and only uppercase letters, numbers and underscore. (Classic99 doesn't do the extension, that's the reason for the length limit).

• Like 1

For Classic99: Although it's sometimes useful to default a drive to output Windows text, for compatibility's sake I personally leave that option off and add ".?W." to the filename to force Windows only when I need it. (IE: DSK1.?W.FILENAME.TXT). But yeah, otherwise it can default to TIFILES or V9T9. TIFILES files have no restrictions on filename, V9T9 is limited to 10 characters and there are punctuation restrictions. For compatibility in V9T9 mode I recommend sticking to 8 characters and only uppercase letters, numbers and underscore. (Classic99 doesn't do the extension, that's the reason for the length limit).

You know, I gotta get better at adding 1+1. The "Open/Save" script you gave me to collect data from my programs has that in it and you explained to me what it does. But it never occurred to me that it would work with program file saves. Amazingly great.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Oh.. no, it won't do anything for a PROGRAM image. I was addressing where you said you changed the configuration for the folder to write all D/V files as Windows Text. (But later I read why you were doing that).

The other magic tags are ?T and ?V for TIFILES and V9T9 format respectively (allowing you to override the configuration for a file).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Quick and Dirty Video Tutorial:

Attached here is an mp4 video from start to finish summarizing the method and applications I choose to use.

They work for me assuming my code adheres to certain rules.

First, I use Classic99. Harry Wilhelm's compiler comes with it along with a guide. in your class99 folder you'll see the contributor's folder.

look in there for the docs.pdf and read them from start to finish. It's a full guide on how to get your AE5 file from your BASIC file as well as the rules you need to follow.

From there I take my compiled program in to TI99Dir and convert it to a V9T9 file.

Then I go in to Module creator to convert it in to a non inverted rom.

Then I copy the produced bin file to my flashrom99 sd card, plug it in to a ti-99/4a and choose my file from the list.

And it works, usually.

This mp4 video>>attachicon.gifxb2fr99.zip<< shows you the entire process from start to finish in 12 minutes and 20 seconds.

Sinphaltimus, YOU ROCK! I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to produce this tutorial. I learned so much from watching it. I am so glad I stumbled upon it. I am sure there are others, it is just a matter of searching and finding them. I would like to make a suggestion to the moderators for a TI-99/4A Tutorials Sticky Topic where this and other educational/instructional items can be found.

• Like 2

TI99Dir no longer required in this process and the compiler is a whole lot easier and faster to use in 2019.

Many thanks to Lenny for putting this all together back in 2016. He explained so much to me back then, before I had the XB256/Compiler/Module Cteator workflow down.

Update requested!

• Like 1

Awe thanks guys. so sorry for being afk for so long. I've had some major life changes to transition to. But I'm slowly working my way back to my hobbies. I would love to update the video tutorial but I feel like a noob all over again. LOL. It's going to be some time before I'm back posting regularly and working on things. right now I'm trying to square up some unfinished business with projects I've put on hold for far too long.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Since the recent change to the PI.CLOCK call, I have been trying to update my TIPICLOCK XB program that I converted to EA5 (to use with 4ADOS) using the steps outlined in Sinphaltimus' xb2fr99 video. I had success before, but now I can't seem to get it to work. I would like to end up with offering three versions zipped up for everyone's use:

1. XB Program (listed in this post)

2. EA5 Program (to be loaded via 4ADOS (LOAD TIPI.UTIL.TIPICLOCK )

3. BIN Program (for launching from FR99 or FG99)

Would someone be willing to help educate me on what the steps are so that I will understand the method to do this?

100 REM *******************
110 REM * TIPICLOCK v2    *
120 REM * by Tim Woodland *
130 REM *-----------------*
140 REM * For TIPI        *
150 REM * Obetav035       *
160 REM *******************
170 CALL CLEAR
180 OPEN #1:"PI.CLOCK",DISPLAY ,INPUT 
190 CALL KEY(0,K,Q)
200 INPUT #1:W$,D$,T$
210 IF W$="1" THEN F$="MONDAY"