IGNORED

Rain of Terror High Score Challenge

erichenneke

Some members suggested that I start a separate thread for the RAIN OF TERROR high score challenge so they could post their high scores directly in the thread. So here you go.

The challenge is still going at this time...

Now through November 6th, the person with the highest score on RAIN OF TERROR will receive the very first physical/box version of the game!!

Including…

· Numbered RAIN OF TERROR box – ( serial number 0001 )

· Labeled 5 ¼ program diskette

· Full color manual

And as a special BONUS… ( since this is a paddle controller game after all )…

the winner will also receive an actual set of Atari Paddle controllers!!

(don’t worry, shipping is on us too)

post-38281-0-12852100-1477105808_thumb.jpgpost-38281-0-27891500-1477105815_thumb.jpg

post-38281-0-62165600-1477105791_thumb.jpg

Of course you can play on actual Atari hardware or on an emulator ( capturing the mouse as paddle controller works great on Altirra and Atari800win), but we do want a screen shot or digital picture of your best score either way!

Please post your high score here (or you can PM me with it if you don't want to post it for some reason) including screen shot or digital picture by end of November 6th.

Note that there is also a similar thread on ABBUC website here.

http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9004

You can post either here on Atariage or on the ABBUC thread ( or both !), I will monitor responses on both sites.

GOOD LUCK !!

• Like 2

Okay, (copied over from Abbuc forum)

R.o.T. Highscore: 49,500 points
Level/Mission: 2

As you can see, my highscore is quite low and thus easy to beat !!
So come on guys, post your highscore here and with some luck you gonna win some prizes...

post-3782-0-30806100-1477237379_thumb.jpg

Sidenote: Please ignore the gfx anomaly in the title, it is definitely NOT in the game ! I took a photo from my tv and the strange gfx you see in the title is just a reflection from the window...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Round 7 240,750 (I have screenshot but not able to post it until I fix my bluetooth or find a cable).

The music reminds me of Shadow World, nice. Very nice game and has replay value which is good to see :thumbsup:

Some suggestions, more music / longer tune ?

At game over the screen blanks out too quickly to save the score before you can see what was going on with the guys overrunning your base.

You could also take a look at averaging out the paddle readings to reduce jitter - I think the "pad" (game) thread on the programming forum covered this.

Make it startable from any paddle - if possible.

Still not sure about your massive bonus system ;)

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

Round 7 240,750 (I have screenshot but not able to post it until I fix my bluetooth or find a cable).

The music reminds me of Shadow World, nice. Very nice game and has replay value which is good to see :thumbsup:

Some suggestions, more music / longer tune ?

At game over the screen blanks out too quickly to save the score before you can see what was going on with the guys overrunning your base.

You could also take a look at averaging out the paddle readings to reduce jitter - I think the "pad" (game) thread on the programming forum covered this.

Make it startable from any paddle - if possible.

Still not sure about your massive bonus system ;)

Hey, that's pretty good. Mission 7 is where the action starts to really build quickly and it gets really hectic!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree on the longer music tune comment. That was the original plan and I already have a lengthier version with multiple sections composed, but when we were in development we ran into memory limitations (goal was to keep it in a single executable file) so the music was trimmed down. In the end we freed up quite a bit of memory so adding some of that additional music back in for a future update might be possible. Good suggestion.

I am curious to better understand your suggestion about the end of game screen blanking out too quickly. As the bad guys are doing their thing you can still see your score and mission level, and then when it cuts back to the title screen you can still see your score and mission level there too. So what are you referring to? Should be an easy feature to add if it makes sense, i just need to better understand what you are suggesting on this one. :)

There is built-in paddle-jitter control in the game. It is dynamic, meaning that it attempts to read how much jitter your paddles actually have and then compensates only as necessary. Overcompensation is a bad thing for precision and smooth cursor movement, so it attempts to only apply a little compensation as needed. The downside to this is that occasionally it under-compensates and you still see too much jitter. When that happens, try re-loading the game since it does this calibration only once at first initialization.

Startable from any paddle... hmm, that's an easy one. Good suggestion. Will put it on the future update list.

The bonus's might seem a bit gratuitous on the early missions, but later on ( especially after around missions 9 and on ) that becomes one of the key scoring challenges/strategies regarding how do you end each mission in such a way that you can maximize your bonus pay-out. That said, I will keep this on the list to revisit/reconsider in future updates.

Thanks for playing and for all the suggestions!

Grrr...back at it, I suppose. :)

The more I play Rain of Terror the more I like it :thumbsup:

It deserved a much higher ranking in the contest ;)

Anyone playing this game might want to post a score for Zaxxon in the high score club too :grin: tables for both games here

Eric,

What I meant about the end of go was it sometimes (perhaps more the first play?) goes from the game over animation to the black screen (saving) then to the menu before you've had time to take things in and look at the status bar etc. I think it might have been shorter when the men were near your base.

when you have to get "fallers" "without shoots" does that mean shoot them before their shoot opens?

• Like 1

The more I play Rain of Terror the more I like it :thumbsup:

Anyone playing this game might want to post a score for Zaxxon in the high score club too :grin: tables for both games here

Eric,

What I meant about the end of go was it sometimes (perhaps more the first play?) goes from the game over animation to the black screen (saving) then to the menu before you've had time to take things in and look at the status bar etc. I think it might have been shorter when the men were near your base.

when you have to get "fallers" "without shoots" does that mean shoot them before their shoot opens?

Fallers without chutes means you have to shoot them either before their chute opens, or after you take out their chute. I've noticed that you can get multiple credit for shooting the same faller multiple times. At one point, I think I got credit for 3 "fallers" by shooting the same faller while he fell to the ground. Not sure if that was by design or a possible bug.

Fallers without chutes means you have to shoot them either before their chute opens, or after you take out their chute. I've noticed that you can get multiple credit for shooting the same faller multiple times. At one point, I think I got credit for 3 "fallers" by shooting the same faller while he fell to the ground. Not sure if that was by design or a possible bug.

Perfect explanation Deteacher!

The simplest way to say it is that you have to hit a paratrooper without a parachute for it to count as a faller.

So this could be just after he jumps out of the plane and before he has a chance to open his parachute (tricky).

Or after his parachute has already been shot and he is falling to his death. That's when you want to nail him! :-D

And yes, that was definitely an intentional design feature that you can shoot him as many times as possible while he is falling. This is why it is so nice to have a trooper jump out from a plane that is really high and right above your gun base. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a bit brutal, but these are the little things that make games fun!

By the way, just a reminder that there is a README.TXT file on the ATR image if you want to read more about the game instructions.

Edited by erichenneke
  • Like 1

And a new PB: 390,500! Round 8 is a bonus round and round 9 sucks! LOL!

Gonna try it out on real hardware now. Your turn, TRBB! ;)

:thumbsup:

Sounds like I need to find my unjittery paddles at the weekend (yeah like any of my sets are unjittery, so my less jitttery set then) :)

:thumbsup:

Sounds like I need to find my unjittery paddles at the weekend (yeah like any of my sets are unjittery, so my less jitttery set then) :)

Easy to clean...takes about 10-15 minutes. :) The wife will be watching shows I can't stand, which will give me an excuse to go downstairs to the man-cave and give my Atari some love. :)

• Like 1

Eric,

ok, i see what you are talking about. Two things happening here i think...

1) if you press the fire button when the enemy is marching in on you at end of game it will bail out faster (a feature in case you don't want to watch that sequence each and every time!). Same goes for the explosion when your gun base is destroyed, you can press fire to bail out of that faster. So, you might be bailing out without realizing it some times. If you don't bail out then you have plenty of time to see the status window before everything clears out.

2) the cut to black screen before the title screen takes a little longer when it is trying to save a new high score. During that black screen it is checking to see if a drive is available to read/write, and if so it does it's thing, etc. That's why it seems to be a longer black screen sometimes and other times (such as when you do not make a new high score) it is really fast. Of course, you can still see your score and mission once the title screen is shown again regardless.

There's really no reason the screen must go black during the save though, so I will look at changing that on a future update so you can still see the status window data while it is saving the high score data.

It got 10 points from me! :) But I know some members who gave 0 points because they don't have paddles and the game doesn't provide alternatively joystick control :( . Real gamers will love the game! (Because they certainly own paddles!!!)

It's a perfect highscore game. Very good balanced. Interesting for the very beginner and the very professional Atari player. Good Job, Eric and Rob!

I am near to crack deteachers high score... (I hope)

• Like 2

It got 10 points from me! :) But I know some members who gave 0 points because they don't have paddles and the game doesn't provide alternatively joystick control :( . Real gamers will love the game! (Because they certainly own paddles!!!)

It's a perfect highscore game. Very good balanced. Interesting for the very beginner and the very professional Atari player. Good Job, Eric and Rob!

I am near to crack deteachers high score... (I hope)

I figured this was the case - it's really unfair when paddles have been around since the 2600 and there are such good fun games, plus you can get a set reasonably cheaply. Shame on them :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

OK ALL!! Just a reminder, you have one more week to rack up your best scores and post your screenshots for the "RAIN OF TERROR High Score Challenge !!".

The challenge ends at the end of November 6th.

Your chance to win the very first boxed version of Rain of Terror, and we will throw in a set of atari paddle controllers too.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258243-rain-of-terror-high-score-challenge/?p=3616255

Here's the link to the ATR file if you still need to download the game (also includes a README.TXT version of user manual)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258275-rain-of-terror-atr/?p=3616829

Also, adding a PDF version of the user manual here which might be helpful.

ROTManualv1a-A5sb.pdf

So if you haven't gotten your paddles out of storage yet... get off your butt and dig them out ! :P

(...or use PC emulation with a mouse, that's fine too! )