IGNORED

Serpentine 7800

RevEng

I've ported the classic computer game Serpentine from the A8 to the 7800. The port is playable and complete, though I may add some additional features to this game in the future.

post-23476-0-87930000-1477251579_thumb.png

The game requires extra RAM, and will use POKEY if found. It should now run on CC2, MCP Dev Cart, and XBoard. I expect the new Harmony will be able to support it too. Emulation is probably limited to newish versions of MAME/MESS.

serpentine.20161029.bin

serpentine.20161029.a78

For those of you unfamiliar with this game...

The goal is to eat the other serpents and avoid being eaten. Head-on collisions with snakes that aren't smaller than you will result in death. You can grow by eating frogs, eggs, and smaller snakes head-on. You can eat the tail/side segments of snakes of any size.

Your snake and the enemy snakes will periodically lay eggs. The enemy eggs hatch fairly quickly into new enemy snakes. Your egg only hatches at the end of a level, at which point it will give you an extra life - until it hatches, your egg is vulnerable to being eaten by enemy snakes and frogs.

Enjoy!

• Like 14

If you can extend the ROM to 128K, I will try to make a prototype on Sunday. I am sitting on a lot of POKEY chips, that I had collected for making MCP carts, since nobody is interested in that, I now have about $700 worth of POKEY's sitting around. I think I have almost 100 of the narrow RAM chips, so almost a grand catching dust.

• Like 1

I've ported the classic computer game Serpentine from the A8 to the 7800. The port is playable and complete, though I may add some additional features to this game in the future.

serpentine7800.png

The game requires a POKEY @$450, and additional RAM @$4000. For now, that limits real hardware to the MCP Dev Cart or XBoard. I expect the new Harmony will be able to support it too. Emulation is probably limited to newish versions of MAME/MESS.

serpentine.20161023.a78

serpentine.20161023.bin

For those of you unfamiliar with this game...

The goal is to eat the other serpents and avoid being eaten. Head-on collisions with snakes that aren't smaller than you will result in death. You can grow by eating frogs, eggs, and smaller snakes head-on. You can eat the tail/side segments of snakes of any size.

Your snake and the enemy snakes will periodically lay eggs. The enemy eggs hatch fairly quickly into new enemy snakes. Your egg only hatches at the end of a level, at which point it will give you an extra life - until it hatches, your egg is vulnerable to being eaten by enemy snakes and frogs.

Enjoy!

Looks like an addictive fun game.

If you ever make carts of this game for sale,or work with Al to get this game in the Atariage Store, I'd definitely buy.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the interest, all! I'm presently working at incorporating the 20 levels from the disk based version.

@WIZ, I'll hit you up on PM when i have a test ROM. Right now the code is in flux, and I'm not sure if I'll get it straightened for the weekend.

• Like 3

I've updated the first post with a new version, now with 20 different levels.

I've expanded the format to 128k with RAM, which should allow CC2 users to play it now. (78SC_R16) It will use TIA sound since CC2 doesn't support POKEY at the location needed, but I spent a fair bit of time making sure the TIA mode sounds good.

I'd appreciate it if anyone testing it out on a CC2 could advise if it runs OK.

• Like 4

I've updated the first post with a new version, now with 20 different levels.

I've expanded the format to 128k with RAM, which should allow CC2 users to play it now. (78SC_R16) It will use TIA sound since CC2 doesn't support POKEY at the location needed, but I spent a fair bit of time making sure the TIA mode sounds good.

I'd appreciate it if anyone testing it out on a CC2 could advise if it runs OK.

Has anyone tried this ROM on the Mateos Multi-cart? I'm assuming I can rename it as .SG (please see below) and it should work.

• .SG for 128kB games that use the standard bank switching scheme of eight 16kB banks, like Xenophobe.
  • .SGR for 128kB games that use the standard bank switching scheme of eight 16kB banks and additional RAM, like Jinks.
  • .SGP for 128kB games that use the standard bank switching scheme of eight 16kB banks and POKEY sound IC, like Commando.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251570-atari-7800-rewritable-multigame-cartridge/?p=3532191