IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

Seems, particular stuff will never change. After all this years, MIDI Import to RMT is horrible. 

Using any dedicated tool, with prepared data, seems to have an own will ;)

Hey  Converter, I want to have you pattern " A A# B C C " imported to RMT. why do you give me "B A H C# D" ?

Answer: "It's the same" .

OK. 

So I leave some parts of your calculated "chords", and several patterns run with real notes. 

Let's see the result...

A working Midi to RMT converter would solve a lot problems. Particularly  it would save a lot time, as POKEY finetuning is time consuming enough. 

What to expect over 40 years after the release of the 800?

What could be too hard, to save patterns , notes and instruments from midi to rmt? 

Just set the real notes, then do the technical stuff manually, to keep the right frequency for the note ? 

Sooooo hard.  An impossible treat... . It's also toooooooooooooo hard to set instruments to the range of what POKEY can do, and give the instrument the name "1 2 3 octaves lower or higher " ... As no one is interested in having good music played on the Atari, such a tool would help to solve things, rather than to beg  for know-it-alls for some cooperation that never will be. 

Nice YouTube video ba emkay! ;)

Edit: I like this sound a lot more than your pulse width modulation experiments where the pulse width goes outside 30%-70% duty cycle range. It makes me cringe, like a lot of SID tunes that utilize the same effect, although a bit muffled by their filters, but still. Brrhrhrhrhr shiver ? This is one of your best efforts ?

Edited by ivop

13 minutes ago, ivop said:

Nice YouTube video ba emkay! ;)

Edit: I like this sound a lot more than your pulse width modulation experiments where the pulse width goes outside 30%-70% duty cycle range. It makes me cringe, like a lot of SID tunes that utilize the same effect, although a bit muffled by their filters, but still. Brrhrhrhrhr shiver ? This is one of your best efforts ?

Let's see, when it's finished. 

Don't know about it. 

seeing the response about this tune, makes me think it is still too bad. 

This one is now building a progression from a little lower to just some part at two octaves higher. 

Altirra gets picky with the timing there ;)

With the background of the notation that works for POKEY, the instruments still can be optimized for better results.

This time I added different PWM intruments for the "high" notes to have less timing problems with emulations, particular Altirra. 

Also, a lot volume changes done to have it a little sweeter at all. 

Edited by emkay

It keeps improving. Still quite some ticks in the beginning. Is that because of "altirra timing problems"? Why don't you capture from real hardware?

2:46-2:52, 4:03-4:09, really needs some work. That's brainpiercing out of tune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Addotional "fiddling" with the high notes part.

Some of the stuff sounds cool - almost an "electric  violin" type sound.  The slides are nice.  But as mentioned, when the strong sawtooth waves come in, the bad tuning is so jarring it kills everything good about the song.

23 hours ago, ivop said:

It keeps improving. Still quite some ticks in the beginning. Is that because of "altirra timing problems"? Why don't you capture from real hardware?

2:46-2:52, 4:03-4:09, really needs some work. That's brainpiercing out of tune.

That's the type of useful posts. 

Well, that part is an example of super high notes. The lack of Altirra wouldn't be a problem, if it was possible to create faster corrections in the tracker. You might know that every correction plays a false tone till the next update. 

It is no problem with low notes, but it gets more problematic the higher the notes get. 

While it is a slight change of a temperature at low notes, it is like jumping through the universe by just changing the pitch one step. 

Inbetween the changes sound like some chord ...

I'm still on it. 

Edited by emkay

another step...

Not sure, if there will be a 100% version to fit to everyone's taste. But , one thing is pretty sure: If someone of the 70 was listening to this tune the first time, he wouldn't realize listening to POKEY.  Particular , if taking care of the programming of POKEY itself. 

• Like 2

I agree, another step up. Here's an idea. Not sure if it's doable, but... What if you change the channel configuration for the whistle part?

Right now, you have 1 and 3 for chords, bass and drums. 2+4 for the melody.

For the whistle part(s) you could change to 1 and 2 for chords, bass and drums, and use 3+4 as a 16-bit channel for the melody. Glissandos could be problematic, but they are so high, I doubt you would hear it. Otherwise I suppose some sliding notes could be done with a frequency envelope in the instrument.

19 hours ago, emkay said:

Not sure, if there will be a 100% version to fit to everyone's taste. But , one thing is pretty sure: If someone of the 70 was listening to this tune the first time, he wouldn't realize listening to POKEY.  Particular , if taking care of the programming of POKEY itself. 

That is very true - Atari user since 1982 and there are definitely some unique sounds here.