IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

7 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

@emkay, can you do a GOOD Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" PoKey version using NO IllOps so it will run on my 65c802?

The "Hardsynth" method is depending on the speed relation between POKEY and the CPU. As it is done in RMT, there were no 6502 specific opcodes used.

I searched for a SID to have some impression 

In my opinion, you recognize the original , but all coolness is missing. 

If SID failes that hard, do you think a POKEY version is useful? POKEY could play a better metallic intstrument there. 

7 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Some really nice synthy effects in that one.

Thanks. 

On 9/3/2020 at 8:35 PM, ivop said:

That's not fair. The program you see playing BDTH is as simple as The Music Studio. I'm sure a current SID musician could do a much better cover. And a Pokey musician could, too! ;) 

The difference between SID and POKEY is that they put all possible into development. Also, they always do the best what could be done using the actual possibilities. 

I don't believe that SID with it's muffled sound is able to reproduce the coolness of that song. Some similar result, just like Space Ashes to Ashes may appear. Sounding "sweet" to have the SID culture lifted up, but the original "drama" isn't in there.

But, meanwhile I'm getting more and more into the possibilities of PWM using POKEY, and the crunchy basses... it could happen...  

;)

OK. The real problem was that I didn't know how the real "music" was about. 

I searched for a MOD file and found the module that seemed to be the basis for Raster's conversion. 

The "Arpeggios" sound fully different in the MOD file. 

Let's see what can be changed there ;) 

• Like 1

Don't expect too much with this tune. It's just more than enough trickery to get the PWM sounds out of RMT ;)

Inspired by the MOD file, I changed some instruments, particular the arpeggios. If RMT at least did offer a separated  note table for every  generator type, it really would make things easier.

The interesting part here is that the synth changes it's face with the changed instruments on the other channel (drum/fx).

Edited by emkay

You know, when doing POKEY stuff, a sneak peek towards any SID tune may help to find the perfect solution. But even the available SID version of this "tune" doesn't really sound "impressive ? " . The arpeggios even there screw the main tune up. 

Any further suggestions?

20 minutes ago, zbyti said:

I meant Synth Lead at 0:50 doesn't sound good. Anyway, I like your POKEY more than Amiga MOD version :]

OK. 

What to say? Seems the tune is better than I expected. 

Others wrote that particular this part (at 0:50) is gorgeous. 

So it's only a matter of taste? 

12 hours ago, zbyti said:

Maybe but not to my ears ;)

OK, if I'm only one who complains I'll pass.

It's rather complex to adapt MOD files , as the samples can keep harmonics from instrument to instrument. So while the main instrument is changing, there is a common harmony that is similar to some additional voices were played. 

Here is a version with a higher pitched "3rd" voice. IMHO this interacts better with the high notes. 

21 hours ago, emkay said:
21 hours ago, zbyti said:

I meant Synth Lead at 0:50 doesn't sound good. Anyway, I like your POKEY more than Amiga MOD version :]

OK. 

What to say? Seems the tune is better than I expected. 

Others wrote that particular this part (at 0:50) is gorgeous. 

So it's only a matter of taste? 

I'd agree that the part from 0:50 sounds weird but I listened to the amiga version and it's also weird when that trumpet (?not sure what it is) sound kicks in.

• Like 1

Just now, rensoup said:

I'd agree that the part from 0:50 sounds weird but I listened to the amiga version and it's also weird when that trumpet (?not sure what it is) sound kicks in.

It's actually the "Song" itself that has a weird part. It is created to sound good, using samples on the Amiga which use "cross-harmonics" in the samples. 

And, actually, I'm a little proud that I found that very good fitting POKEY sound. 

Btw: Feel free to comment my edits. 

Doing those tuning steps can get really odd. Sometimes you stop bitching around with that crap, and the next day listening to it sometimes offer "hey it doesn't sound that bad at all ;)

And very often it's vice versa. One day you think "this is it". The next day "wtf" ..

The "3rd" channel has to use a broad sound, if you understand. POKEY adds a side noise, when pitches get changed fast. Sometimes it sounds really good, sometimes not. 

4 hours ago, emkay said:

It's actually the "Song" itself that has a weird part. It is created to sound good, using samples on the Amiga which use "cross-harmonics" in the samples. 

And, actually, I'm a little proud that I found that very good fitting POKEY sound. 

The sounds are definitely unexpected for Pokey especially since they're just standard 50hz.

Perhaps some SID conversions would work better? I guess this has been discussed many times before but isn't there any tool to convert SID to Pokey (just the notes) ?  I've seen sid to mid and mid to mod then mod to rmt but I guess you lose a bunch of info with each conversion...