IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

Why I love SID? One of the reasons is clang bass :] You can hear it for example in this little tune:

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/S/Scortia/Kloroform.sid

@miker is it possible to do that on A8?

EDIT: another one by Scortia https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/S/Scortia/Horizon.sid

Edited by zbyti
another one

6 hours ago, zbyti said:

Why I love SID? One of the reasons is clang bass :] You can hear it for example in this little tune:

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/S/Scortia/Kloroform.sid

@miker is it possible to do that on A8?

EDIT: another one by Scortia https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/S/Scortia/Horizon.sid

Everything has it's goods and bads ;)

SID has the triangle, and the analog low pass filter. This is something unique in those old  sound devices. 

While it is great for synthesizing instruments, SID has too less channels to benefit for "all" music. 

The "muffled blubber" doesn't really work as an "acoustic bass" .  

That's why many tunes sound "grown up" when they do remakes of SID tunes on the NES chip.

Every channel there has it's limits, but the count of channels is the salvation .  

POKEY could do this type of music, if you keep in mind, how low the CPU usage in my edits actually is!

So, playing a digitized bass channel is no problem. The "Reharden" demo shows that there is also enough time to play several notes. 

But the demo doesn't really use the stable modulation method.

Hardsynth+Hardbass=perfect music on the Atari ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Sounds like drunk spaceman music.

It sounds like something POKEY cannot do at all ;).

The basses are some "impression". RMT divides the bass and clean generator like all POKEY software is doing. 

The missing notes below the clean tones could have been placed in a row for just as it has to be used: The bass range of the audible part, where the clean notes won't work.  

So doing bass slides more properly is also a "missing feature. 

But, at the end of the day YouTube again made me happy. It still recognizes the original content :D

• Haha 1

All useful and interesting sounds. I just got the impression of an unstable spaceman walking around.  ;)  :-D

A tracker with the needed features to exploit POKEY to the best possible advantages is long overdue. Maybe opening a thread and discussing how such a tracker could be designed would be a good way to get someone interested in developing it.

• Like 4

OK. This time no drunken astronauts. Sometimes I really don't get it, why people like a tune and why not. It's "typically chip tune sounding" . 

Back to clean trumpets ;)

Also some different playing with the basses.

And some "phaser" added. 

Here something different (again) ;)

There is a tune, I'd really like to hear played on the Atari. 

Here is the start.  Just a loop to explain something ;)

It plays "one instrument" from a#2 to D#5  . The problem of a "not so good" control here is the need of getting some reverb into it. 

So there is actually one correction done in the pattern. 

What it shows?

1) Even the 16 bit "sawtooth" isn't sufficient enough

2) Using gen a at 16 bit gives a lot volume problems. 

Not to do every needed adjustment in RMT shows some unwanted cancelling. But the result is good enough. 

The rest of the tune has longer synth sweeps and doesn't move in the range of octaves that much, so the were not a real problem ;)

Let's see if I could find the time to "hack" another yotube video ;) 

Reminder: POKEY can only play 2 octaves "clear" . But this small loop plays "4 octaves" clearly. There are also no "volume" problems. Not to mention that octave 5 has not been used in other tunes yet.  And a notation range from octave 2 to 5 is far beyond all written ;)