IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

Just now, MrFish said:

It sounds like someone having problems tuning in an A.M. radio station.

Not that bad observation. 

It actually is a method to tune the very low resolution, to get one octave higher. Without that you'd get some yelling, totally out of tune sounding. 

Shall I do a version without the correction? 

There is still something to optimize or to get new by the ressulting sounds.

You might get the short and continuous chorus after about 2:20. 

Other tunes showed that this 15 kHz filter usage catches all other channels with a overlay, which is the nature of the directly physical interaction of all voices. 

47 minutes ago, emkay said:

Not that bad observation. 

It actually is a method to tune the very low resolution, to get one octave higher. Without that you'd get some yelling, totally out of tune sounding. 

Shall I do a version without the correction? 

It's still pretty out of tune in various places.

Another weird part is where it is definitely given that SID sounds muffled and limited in higher sounds. 

15kHz is aiming the "deep" sounds, but for what?

In 64kHz clocking, the melodic part is given. It doesn't sound muffled at all, which shouldn't be any "bad". 

Not sure, if the notation is 100% SID, but the melodic part is clearly there... using some trickery with the polycounter bass, makes it sound like a modulation bass...   So , it's suffficient...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Not sure, if the notation is 100% SID, but the melodic part is clearly there... using some trickery with the polycounter bass, makes it sound like a modulation bass...   So , it's suffficient...

It's nice but some instruments seem to be buzzing, it's also present in your other recent edits (including the 100hz noisy pillars)... 

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Another weird part is where it is definitely given that SID sounds muffled and limited in higher sounds. 

15kHz is aiming the "deep" sounds, but for what?

In 64kHz clocking, the melodic part is given. It doesn't sound muffled at all, which shouldn't be any "bad". 

That's an improvement on the bass; sounds more stable.

Edited by MrFish

Okay, here's my 15kHz edit. Still three channels, no fancy instruments ;)

I like the bass and drums and did my best on the lead instruments. 8-bit 15kHz is hard to work with, but it shows promise imho. Best would be a combination of both. The 64kHz version with 16-bit 1.77MHz bass.

Edit: included xex for playing on real hardware.

noisy-pillars-t1-ivo-edit-15khz.xex

Edit2: LOL within 8 minutes there was a spam comment on YT :)

Edited by ivop

8 minutes ago, zbyti said:

Good :] you have only detuned vibrato ;) 

I removed most of the vibrato, but sometimes it is needed to mask being even more out of tune. 8-bit 15kHz is really coarse in the higher registers. But no vibrato at all makes it very bland and the out of tuneness more obvious. I like my previous 64kHz edit more, but it misses the low bass. This edit is better in the low end. I could even double the bass +$01 frequency to get a fatter sound, but I wanted both edits to stick to 3 channels for now. The idea is to eventually combine the best parts of both. That's what the spare channel is for ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

My favourite version is still Emkay's 1st edit from the mod ?

For me it's equal to the MOD and the "no wobbling) 64kHz edit.  The tunes have to "grow" from the start to the end. 

Actually, I never heared other tunes than mine doing this. 

But experiments often show new things. 

The 15kHz "orbit programming" in a supporting Tracker would sound outstanding (for a POKEY tune)

The variation , or better the tuning basis is different from one pitch to 3 notes , compared to 64kHz. 

I should try a patched RMT , as it is clean 15kHz and correctly tuned there.  

18 hours ago, emkay said:

In sounding diversity, POKEY beats SID by far ;)

Definitely ;)

Edit: although part of the blame lies with the SID musicians. They almost always go for that heavily filtered and modulated sound. I'm sure you can make SID sound more open, less muffled, like the AY/YM and like this pokey version.

2 hours ago, zbyti said:

almost perfect! :]

I believe I can also do 15kHz bass and drums, and 16-bit lead, with patch 6, but then you can't have vibrato on the lead :(

Edited by ivop

1 hour ago, ivop said:

I believe I can also do 15kHz bass and drums, and 16-bit lead, with patch 6, but then you can't have vibrato on the lead

Okay, it can't be done without patching the 16-bit note table a bit further. It only has bass sounds, so you can't do a lead with it. There are not enough octaves, too. We need a better tracker ;) LOL

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Okay, it can't be done without patching the 16-bit note table a bit further. It only has bass sounds, so you can't do a lead with it. There are not enough octaves, too. We need a better tracker ;) LOL

To the other readers. No, I have not hacked ivop's account ;)

• Haha 3

On 10/30/2020 at 11:06 PM, emkay said:

OK. Why so less interactivity referring to this tune? People like to shit on bad tunes, but how to manage things that were left open?

If I'd play a game back in the 80s, I would have been very impressed by the correct flow and the diversity of sounds. 

1 hour ago, emkay said:

OK. Why so less interactivity referring to this tune? People like to shit on bad tunes, but how to manage things that were left open?

If I'd play a game back in the 80s, I would have been very impressed by the correct flow and the diversity of sounds. 

I missed that one the first time but I'll just quote zbyti:

On 9/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, zbyti said:

Great mix of good music and cacophony.

• Haha 2