IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

7 hours ago, emkay said:

The analog strings build their own waves at different times. So every time the resulting tone will get different. 

That's why the detuning needs to be done until the waves won't logically add together into loud interferences.   

You were right up to here. The detuning of the B-string has nothing to do with loudness or when the wave starts in regard to when it was plucked or picked!! It is all about frequency or pitch or whatever you want to call it :) This was about a 12-TET 3rd note retuned to a diatonic 3rd.

Here a new version of my spreadsheet, already! ;)

I added Diatonic Major and Minor, and both with sharps/flats infill by Pythagorean tuning, and finally one that combines Diatonic major and minor intervals, and fills the two remaining gaps by Pythagorean tuning.

On the Diatonic Major sheet:

scar-tissue-minus14cents.png.ba473cf2a5ab169bd43d2ca6e0d5924e.png

The Major 3rd is indeed circa 14 cents lower, as was mentioned and explained in the Scar Tissue video.

Different Tunings.ods

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 9:12 PM, emkay said:

Actually, I have no idea of "new" conversion. 

Using the new software, I have an idea of a new challenge.

Someone could suggest a MOD  file , and I try to resemble it to the Atari.

The only rule is that the MOD file needs to use real notes, not self playing sample rips of other music. 

jester/sanity elysium 

uncle tom/scoopex occ-san-geen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ivop said:

Here's a spreadsheet to calculate Pythagorean tuning, or any other RA:TIO for that matter.

To keeps things manageable, I decided to base everything on a single clock. You can change that from NTSC to PAL, and vice versa. That's half the amount of columns ;)  I also skipped the HEX columns. And the delta columns are now in cents instead of hertz.

In this example, note '1' is tuned to 27.5 Hz, but you can change that to any frequency you want.

Just for fun, I created a second sheet with the exact 12-TET ratios.

The third sheet is an alternate Pythagorean tuning. Gb (1024:729) and F# (729:512) are different ratios. It's the devil's interval!!  :D

You can copy the sheet as many times as you want and try out different intervals.

Different Tunings.ods 86.29 kB · 0 downloads

Awesome! I might borrow several things from it in the sheet I pretty much started yesterday from your initial work, all this stuff is going to be incredibly useful!
I really like where all of this is going now :3

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Awesome! I might borrow several things from it in the sheet I pretty much started yesterday from your initial work, all this stuff is going to be incredibly useful!
I really like where all of this is going now :3

Yes, this is all very cool :) And borrow all you want! That's why I share it, for the bettering of Pokey sounds ;)

I'm also pretty fond of the Diatonic intervals. You'll optimally need 24 tables (one for each major key, and one for each minor key), but one could create a simple C/C++/C# program to generate them. The infill is there only for the jazz chords ;) Oh, and you'll need to know in which key your song is :D 

Edited by ivop
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ivop said:

Yes, this is all very cool :) And borrow all you want! That's why I share it, for the bettering of Pokey sounds ;)

I'm also pretty fond of the Diatonic intervals. You'll optimally need 24 tables (one for each major key, and one for each minor key), but one could create a simple C/C++/C# program to generate them. The infill is there only for the jazz chords ;) Oh, and you'll need to know in which key your song is :D 

For now I think I need to find how to get a spreadsheet to pick up existing data, and chose the best possible results to form a scale, similar to how the Distortion A was calculated.
That might make many things such as Distortion C basses (gritty and buzzy, aka C and E), and other things much easier to pick up, since doing it all manually by ear and a somewhat inaccurate tuner is slow on the long run :P 

I believe this could be pretty simple to do, the only downside is that each modes and distortions have virtually 256 tones each, ahha

2 hours ago, emkay said:

it's not the 1st version of Elysium ;)

But, a loooooo ....ooot changes...

it's an honorable attempt!

The 3rd channel seems to be buzzing, especially at the beginning. 

You seem to always use the same drums ?

Also no PWM ??

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rensoup said:

it's an honorable attempt!

The 3rd channel seems to be buzzing, especially at the beginning. 

You seem to always use the same drums ?

Also no PWM ??

Thanks, and I don't see the "better" way in using PWM, as the 4 channels build the resulting harmonics better. 

Could be interesting to join the drum and FX channel for temporary 16 bit drums. 

But, as long as there is no real 16 bit support at all, it is better to keep the 4 channel balance.

OK Emkay, I'm picking this one as it seems to conform to the rules and I have a video of it playing on the C64 already up on YouTube (can't play it on the Amiga as the A8 has pride of place ATM). I could use Milkytracker, but that's boring.

Elysium / Jester:

Edited by Mazzspeed

10 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

OK Emkay, I'm picking this one as it seems to conform to the rules and I have a video of it playing on the C64 already up on YouTube (can't play it on the Amiga as the A8 has pride of place ATM). I could use Milkytracker, but that's boring.

Elysium / Jester:

It's phenomena enigma . 

And I don't really see the point for posting it here.

11 minutes ago, emkay said:

It's phenomena enigma . 

And I don't really see the point for posting it here.

That's the group that used the .MOD I believe. The creator of the MOD was Jester?

Not sure, just got the info from here. I think the .MOD is actually used in more than one demo. The point to posting it here is so people know what the original sounds like.

https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=40475

Edited by Mazzspeed

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

You're right! I linked the wrong tab I had open based on Rensoup's challenge - Just as well I showed an example of the MOD playing.

Here's the correct MOD link:

https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=42146

I tried "Enigma" also several times in the past. But contrary to Elysium, it takes a lot advantages using Synthesizer manipulations. 

If a sample handles several harmonics, things get lost with that old chip. 

So the result might never be satisfying.  

Cool ideas...
The parts with the special modulations could get some improvements, using different frequencies can either turn in to a mess or sound really good, and there it's quite messy on several sections, which is a shame since I do know how that sort of stuff could sound harmonically rich!

.rmt? :D 

2 hours ago, sack-c0s said:

To be fair - i think it's the 1541 ultimate playing the mod, and not really the C64

Of course it is, it's the Ultimate Audio Module. However the sound device is also directly accessible from the C64 by the programmer, you can even store samples in the REU and play them back when required. Full documentation regarding registers and programming is available.

You also have emulation of stereo SID's as either 6581 or 8580 in standard three channel configuration or with each SID containing seven voices for a total of sixteen voices, once again directly accessible by the C64 no different to the standard SID(s). I haven't used my internal SID for anything more than an A/D convertor for my 1351 mouse in years.

However, the point wasn't to show what the C64 can do, the point was to show the MOD being played on actual (retro) hardware and my Amiga is packed away to make space for my 600XL. Otherwise playback would have been on the Amiga.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 11:16 PM, emkay said:

Sometimes a youtube video helps to find solutions ;)

Interesting to see the low response to this one.

Remember?

There is a 15kHz clocking

and

there is a 64kHz clocking

This means to have a musically range that divides:

15kHz  to 64 kHz (the clocking isn't integer, so there is a real 1/4th)

In theory this means to have the

octave 1 played at 15kHz 

and

octave 4 played at64kHz 

at the same resolution.

But the modulation features allow to put 15kHz one octave above, and 64kHz one octave below the regular "generator resolution". 

So there is a real octave range of

in the tune.

And my "Crap Banjo" instrument gives the correct face in both clockings.