IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

To bring it to the point:

There is no need for "emulating" SID, to play SIDs on POKEY. 

It's just the "Tracker and built in features" that allow to resemble SID registers. 

Played in LZSS , it will take about 6-10% CPU ...

57 minutes ago, emkay said:

To bring it to the point:

There is no need for "emulating" SID, to play SIDs on POKEY. 

It's just the "Tracker and built in features" that allow to resemble SID registers. 

Played in LZSS , it will take about 6-10% CPU ...

well it's very out of tune but it kind of sounds digi...

And you meant it take 6-10 scanlines, so that's more like 2-3%

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something special

This time some special edit. I like Fragmare's version a lot. But it is optimized for NTSC speed. VinsCool's notation correction made it better to handle in PAL. So a lot speed correction, finetune... volume adjustment by emkay ;) It's a real 4 channel tune, standard programming speed. But you might hear something new :) 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I'd say despite the misunderstanding between tastes in tuning and composition, emkay has very good sound design ideas.
I remember this one, was my original transcription:

Emkay sent an edit some time later, and a few months later, revisited the module, and really liked the ideas.

So I've then edited it further to merge his ideas into my own experimental sound design (alternative tuning, RMT2LZSS tables, etc):

in my opinion, this tune became really good at the end :D 

• Like 2

Just for fun, I converted Fragmare's original module without any edit, the only difference is the tuning itself from my RMT patch16 used in the visual player.
Plays back in PAL just fine without any additional changes, the module binary will also play just as expected in NTSC. :P 

Street of Rage 2 - Dreamer.obx

• Like 1

He's got another Streets of Rage one on here too.

Streets of Rage - Fighting in the Streets

Plus a lot of other tunes that might benefit from your patched version of RMT.

Castlevania - Demon Seed

Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past - Hyrule Castle

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Title Theme

Ninja Gaiden - Unbreakable Determination

Mega Man II - Full OST

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MrFish said:

He's got another Streets of Rage one on here too.

Streets of Rage - Fighting in the Streets

Plus a lot of other tunes that might benefit from your patched version of RMT.

Castlevania - Demon Seed

Legend of Zelda, Link to the Past - Hyrule Castle

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Title Theme

Ninja Gaiden - Unbreakable Determination

Mega Man II - Full OST

Oh shit, I actually wonder how well my patch would handle them.
Could either sound great, or worse :D 

I have some things to do tonight, so that won't be tried immediately, but I definitely wanna give it a shot and compare :P 

I didn't want to offend anyone. 
I just sometimes get the impression that many people don't see or understand the problem with conversions.

An example. If I play the note C on a piano and record it, I can use this instrument to play melodies through notation. Chords can also be played this way. C major e.g. with the notes C, E, and G.
If I now add a second instrument, which may not have been recorded on C but on D, I cannot play reasonable chords together with the 1st instrument and normal notation. However, there would still be the option of always playing the second instrument one note lower. If I need a C because the first instrument plays a C or a note that goes with C, I have to play an B so that the second instrument then plays a C instead of B. This notation then only fits this single set of instruments. If I now replace all the instruments with those that were all recorded on C, the notes no longer match. And that is exactly what happens again and again when converting MOD files. You can take a MOD as a test and replace all melody instruments with piano before converting. Then you can already hear whether it can be converted or whether the notation has to be adapted or redone.

Peace and happy sounding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Just for fun, I converted Fragmare's original module without any edit, the only difference is the tuning itself from my RMT patch16 used in the visual player.
Plays back in PAL just fine without any additional changes, the module binary will also play just as expected in NTSC. :P 

Street of Rage 2 - Dreamer.obx 8.68 kB · 5 downloads

The point is that, the tuning is ok-ish till 0:42. 

Also, what you have to think of: How would the tune work, if there was no original?

In my edit the main instrument fits together from the start to the end of the tune. 

Ofcourse, your adjustment solved a lot problems, but the 8 bits are still there :)