IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 7:09 PM, emkay said:

In the other thread by VinsCool davidcalgary29 mentioned Silk Road by Kitaro. 

And as the theme is about pulse programming, I was wondering , if it fits...

hehe... again a full stroke on Youtube .

Copyright infringement. No monetization.. "Theme from Silk Road detected" ...

I'm honored :D

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, emkay said:

This one took a hook on me . Just to have the filter slides/sweeps/morphing .... name it like you want .

It also uses a technique to suppress the high peaks on generator "C" .  

1st 10 seconds I thought "Oh no - painful" - but then it smoothed out.  I assume that is what you meant by "a technique to suppress the high peaks"?

Very cool sounding, I like the percussion sounds and I definitely like the beat.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, emkay said:

And here some experimetal stuff ;)

Or name it beep without a beeper?

Or just another demonstration of Pulse Width programming with POKEY in RMT ...

imposibru.jpg

Really cool sounds there.  Quite cool seeing the triangle waves in Altirra's waveform viewer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emkay said:

this why you can love emkay... for all the other stuff that goes down... he makes magic every so often!

Edited by _The Doctor__

5 hours ago, emkay said:

The sounds at the very end (from about 2:38 on) sound particular smooth for POKEY.

16 hours ago, MrFish said:

The sounds at the very end (from about 2:38 on) sound particular smooth for POKEY.

It's a bit of timing problems in the emulations. In RMT the start of the tune sounds the same as at the end.

Also the 2 cancelling parts don't happen in RMT . The rest is very similar.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have 2 of those voices played together with one or even two softsynth voices?

55 minutes ago, emkay said:

It's a bit of timing problems in the emulations. In RMT the start of the tune sounds the same as at the end.

Also the 2 cancelling parts don't happen in RMT . The rest is very similar.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have 2 of those voices played together with one or even two softsynth voices?

In the beginning it's just a solo voice, then the second voice is added using slow accompanying vibrato notes. At the end, the two voices are playing the same pattern together in harmony, with no vibrato on either.

3 minutes ago, MrFish said:

In the beginning it's just a solo voice, then the second voice is added using slow accompanying vibrato notes. At the end, the two voices are playing the same pattern together in harmony, with no vibrato on either.

Believe it or not. It's the same pattern played, as the tune is restarting. 

It's now decades that I'm pointing to this problem.  The timing is really to be kept 100% in the emulation, or those demonstrations will still be demonstrations. That's why I don't release RMTs that were hevily based on the timing. People seem just to missunderstand everything.  

1 minute ago, emkay said:

Believe it or not. It's the same pattern played, as the tune is restarting. 

It's now decades that I'm pointing to this problem.  The timing is really to be kept 100% in the emulation, or those demonstrations will still be demonstrations. That's why I don't release RMTs that were hevily based on the timing. People seem just to missunderstand everything.  

Hmmm... would you mind posting the RMT file? I'd like to check it out.

1 minute ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The whole point is to make this on real Atari, real Pokey... otherwise what is the point emulations change...

The point is to have the possibility for musicians to create 100% correct POKEY Tunes. POKEY handles this timing with an ease, and the clocking dependency is also the same. There is even no difference between PAL and NTSC in the timing. It is approved several times that "timing programming" really works on the real machine. So the latest tune is "real". 

The "anger" that you might read often from my posts is that I always have to do those "miracles" . Otherwise people don't believe my words. 

Also, I DID release some tunes with "special" programming. Have a look at "VinsCool"'s latest tune for POKEY. While he did mention me as a source here on atariage, he didn't do it on YouTube. Also, he is on the right way, but still not ready to do some cooperation, because he is underrating my knowledge here, as it seems.  

For me as a "non musician" it means to learn everything about music creation, and to put it to POKEY then. It seems to be the only way. Look how old the Atari is now. How many similar tunes did you hear on this platform? 

Particular POKEY is the chip with the most powerful and with most underused features in the Atari. 

To me it is a great checkpoint in the race, if people see the "new part" that was aimed. 

The only way you can get all to understand a thing, is to let them see the thing... over and over again and sometimes from multitudes of examples... hearing is one thing... actually seeing the nuts and bolts in all the configurations/iterations is the only way it will see wide spread use and tools made to do so.

• Like 1

About the timing issues.

My guess is that the mixing via software sets variations to the timing of the channels . 

While POKEY has the fixed clocking and normally all 4 channels have their separated wave control as a divider of the base clocking, the emulation seems to mix the changes of waves together. 

This means the timing of replay is depending on the played frequency of each channels.  

I wonder how this could be solved in emulations. 

Here is a 10 minutes demonstration. As long as all channels play the same all time, the resulting timing programming is the same. 

• 2 weeks later...